Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you escrow (mortgage)?

Escrow on the house with a mortgage (our residence) and no real choice but to pay ourselves on the house without a mortgage (MIL’s).

My “system” for the MIL’s house is to over-pay on my paycheck deductions for federal income tax, and use the return to pay some or all of the tax and insurance bill on MIL’s house. I realize this makes zero “logical” sense, but it’s a system I stumbled in and so I stick with it.

Yes, I’m certain I could be doing something with the money that I’m pathing into an escrow account that would be smarter, but there’s a value to me in the lack of hassle.

When I was younger I spent a fair amount of time chasing after tiny piles of sheckles but these days there’s just too much going on to find and eek out every dollar, and I have Learned that often I’m getting some convenience or piece of mind out of the lost opportunity.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

After weighing all the pros/cons, I decided to do it on my own. Unfortunately, I came to find out that I need to have an additional year of loan service before I can do it.

We always had escrow, but that obviously discontinued after payoff.
    We pay our car insurance monthly on an auto deduction. Between 2-3 cars and various motorcycles and other insured recreational vehicles (boat, ATV) we were paying a 1/2yr bill on something pretty much every month anyway so we just switched to monthly. This made it simple, we just added the house insurance to the monthly bill that was getting paid automatically anyway.
    Twice a year I have to pay the taxes, but the taxes are not that high here so it is NBD.

I’ve decided to not pay my property taxes.

We’re in King County and I’m claiming BIPOC status and also some LQTBQ+=# status, so I should be ok.

I’ll let you all know how it goes.

User Tag List