Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Redhawk / Super Redhawk discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Ruger already makes that in 357 and 9.

https://ruger.com/products/superGP100/models.html

All they gotta do is 44 Magnum with a 4.2” tube.
    And not butcher the cylinder and a barrel.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

I think there's a lot to be said for a 4.2" and 5" GP100 in .45 Colt/.45 ACP; to me that would be preferable to the currently available Redhawk in those calibers.

It would look a bit like a Security Six on steroids....

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have a Redhawk 5.5" 44 Magnum... circa 83, it's a great revolver

I have 4 Redhawks:

2 of Hamilton Bowen's .500 Linebaugh 4" barrel,

1 of Hamilton Bowen's .475 Linebaugh 5" barrel,

I of ,44 Magnum Alpine.

All of these were circa 1990 and had action and firing pin work.

I have owned 3 .454 Super Redhawks. Sold the 7.5" and 1 Alaskan, kept the 2 nd Alaskan. Sort of a super snubby.

The Linebaughs were when I thought I would harden to a high level of physical abuse. Mentally maybe, physically not so much. I shot them routinely in 50 round sessions.

At 66, I have mild arthritis: thumb bases, elbows, knees now. So USP .45 super is about my upper limit for comfort for 200 round days. Python 3", King Cobra 2" are not bad.

I need to work up some lighter loads and enjoy the big boomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    The SRH is sinfully ugly which was mostly why I sold it. That was a mistake and I really regret selling it,
    It's also ungodly heavy, but like you, I regret selling my 7 1/2" SRH. It's the only .44 revolver that shot as well as my 14" Contender at 50-100 yards.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser2 View Post
    Ruger needs to stick with the GP100 grip frame. The round butt the introduce of newer RedHawks is terrible and replacement grips are few and far between.
    I second this ! [emoji817] It is one of the only revolvers that I would say is close to unusable in it original configuration … not a good set up for me / in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger Redhawk / Super Redhawk discussion

Deleted double post … sorry !
    Last edited by JPedersen; 08-15-2023 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    It's also ungodly heavy, but like you, I regret selling my 7 1/2" SRH. It's the only .44 revolver that shot as well as my 14" Contender at 50-100 yards.
    I also sold my 44 SRH after firelapping the barrel, tweaking the trigger slightly and upgrading the sights. I had something else I really wanted so I sold it too cheap. This another of my guns that I later tried to buy back. Nobody ever seems to want to sell guns I've sold them in the past. My 45 Colt Redhawk was like that too.

Revolvers are my first love.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I left the wooden stocks on for the photo, but use the Pachmayr Decelerator grips when shooting to tame the recoil.

Attached Images Attached Images  

My very first centerfire handgun was a Ruger Redhawk with the 7.5" barrel. It was 1990, and my previous experience was all with .22. I had decent fundamentals -- other than nothing in the way of handling that level of recoil. I shot the snot out of that revolver and somehow did not start to flinch. I do have wrist and hand issues, probably from the sheer amount of 300-grain hard cast at 1200 fps I fired. It did not take too long for me to determine the grips and I were not compatible as the right side screw hole caused a blister after less than one hundred rounds. I ended up with a pair of Hogue tulipwood grips and those helped a lot, especially when I relieved them behind the trigger guard.

That was my first .44. I have had several since then, including a Mag-Na-Port Predator built on a Super Blackhawk, a 629 Classic DX, and a Freedom Arms Model 83. I finally added a Super Redhawk with a seven-inch barrel with a Mag-Na-Port brake and got rid of the rest of them, including that Redhawk. For me, the Mag-Na-Port brake combined with the GP100 type grips on the heavy Super Redhawk makes for a much more pleasant shooting experience.

User Tag List