Thread: New (to me) M&P 15-22, advise?

New (to me) M&P 15-22, advise?

I’m picking one up tomorrow. It’ll be used for general plinking and I’ll also be mounting a light on it for nighttime small varmint disposal,(primarily armadillos, I’ve got bigger guns for hogs and such). Any advise on optics you’ve enjoyed on your .22s? From what I’ve read a Volquartson extractor might be a good addition as well. Any other things or issues I might be on the lookout for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Here is a good thread:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-2020-Upgrades

Mine had issues with ejection -- if you have that issue, there is a little adjustment you can on do on the ejector that I think has helped. I haven't shot mine a lot lately, but it seems to run much better than before I did the adjustment. I just adjusted it slightly "up", toward the top of the receiver. I recall this was the advice I followed, and it's a good video:

I've primarily ran CCI AR-22 through mine.

I kept getting light strikes with mine until I put in a Volquartsen firing pin, which cured the issue. I also have the Volquartsen extractor, and it eliminated the occasional failure to extract the gun had.

+1 for the Volquartsen firing pin, extractor, extractor spring, made my rifle trouble free, Federal Automatch and the CCI AR stuff are the ammo I feed it and that seems pretty trouble free. Wonderful piece of kit another member put me on to is this magazine loader, just works like magic....

My M&P15-22 rifle ran perfect out of the box except it wouldn't lock open on an empty mag. I suspect they were using regular center fire bolt catch springs which were too stiff to be overcome by the light .22 magazine springs. I clipped a couple coils off the catch spring and it worked as intended from then on.

Being happy with my rifle, I grabbed a pistol as soon as they were available. The pistol has had tons of failures to set off cartridges. I bought the Volquartzen parts but it didn't help much. I tried a few different types of ammo, thorough cleaning, various amounts of lube. Ammo helped but not a lot. I finally took it out one last time before contacting S&W and the gun seems to be running much better so I guess it needed breaking in. So I would say that if yours doesn't work right away, give it 500 rounds maybe and see if it gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I’m picking one up tomorrow. It’ll be used for general plinking and I’ll also be mounting a light on it for nighttime small varmint disposal,(primarily armadillos, I’ve got bigger guns for hogs and such). Any advise on optics you’ve enjoyed on your .22s? From what I’ve read a Volquartson extractor might be a good addition as well. Any other things or issues I might be on the lookout for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll want to get one of these (free) from S&W:

https://store.smith-wesson.com/mp-15...HqeS2HeZMhzSwE

I have two of them. I have had no issues when shooting the CCI TacticalAR ammo. One will run bulk fodder. The other won't.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List