Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another optics rearrange and what I learned about NX8 mounts

I'm a huge fan of an LPVO with a 12 o'clock RDS. Offset dots feel awkward in use to me, aren't ambi, and take up too much room in my safe.

I've been refining my setup over time trying to find what works best for me.

I initially started with a Kahles K16i with a top mounted RMR. That was enough to know that I really liked the concept of using the RDS as the "primary" optic and the LPVO as the secondary for when the magnification is needed. I didn't like the idea of using an open emitter dot as a primary optic on a rifle, and while the Kahles is an amazing scope, the SM1 reticle didn't seem like the best fit for this purpose. The red "donut" is great for quick close shots, but that wasn't really necessary since I had the RDS on top. For longer shots I felt the reticle was a bit too busy and hard to use.

Next I tried a Razor Gen 2-E 1-6 with an Acro P2 on top. The Acro on top is PERFECT. So light and unobtrusive and durable enough that I have no issues using that as a primary optic. The Razor was an improvement over the Kahles in that the reticle was less cluttered and felt easier for me to use, but if anything was too simple. I think I would have actually preferred the Gen 3 1-10 in this role, but at the time 10x seemed like overkill and I didn't want to spend quite that much money. This setup was also pretty heavy. It probably wouldn't be too bad on a 14.5" or 16" gun, but I was running it on a 13.7" that I wanted to keep relatively light while still maximizing capability.

I have had one of the new capped elevation NX8 models with the new reticle on pre-order for a while, even though I was skeptical because I had a bad experience with one before where no matter what I did I would get double images (turns out that one must have been defective). It showed up yesterday, and I can easily say this is by far my new favorite setup.

The size and weight of the NX8 is noticeably better than the Razor. Having the first focal plane reticle seems to be a better fit with the purpose of the optic in this combination. I can leave it on 4x or 6x and my holds are still usable and just crank it up if I need to. The eyebox is a bit tighter than the Razor, but it's still very usable and since I'd be using the Acro in a heads up position for dynamic shooting that trade off is more than worth it. I'll be ditching my RDS and 3x magnifier in Unity mounts to duplicate this setup on my 12.5" because I think the negligible weight gain is more than made up for by increase capability.

Name:  IMG_3372.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  100.9 KB

@ASH556 are you still liking the ACOG and RMR setup?

Does the RMR feel higher than it did with the NX8 plus Reptilia mount? I have been kicking around the idea of trying a TA02 with a P2 on top for another rifle, but I think the P2 on top of the NX8 is about as high as I could go.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    @ASH556 are you still liking the ACOG and RMR setup?

Does the RMR feel higher than it did with the NX8 plus Reptilia mount? I have been kicking around the idea of trying a TA02 with a P2 on top for another rifle, but I think the P2 on top of the NX8 is about as high as I could go.
    I am not. I actually ditched it pretty quickly; by early December. That wasn't necessarily because of the optic setup itself. I just decided I didn't want a separate gun setup. I don't shoot much carbine anymore. My 11.5 only has 375 rounds through it in a year, and most of that was from swapping, re-zeroing optics and checking groups. I had one actual 125rd "training" session with it. The most recent 14.5 only had 81 rounds through it in the 6 months I had it. I'm fundamentally a minimalist at heart and so I ditched the 14.5.

Left with the choice of the NX8 or TA01+RMR for the 11.5, I chose the NX8. Putting it in a higher mount massively increased it's usablility throughout the magnification range as I wrote earlier in this thread. I no longer feel the need for a piggybacked RMR on 1X. The NX8 does that well. As for backup sights in the (extremely unlikely) event that the NX8 somehow fails, or (more likely) fogs due to humidity, I added a set of the gen 2 XS XTI Express sights. I like these because they're small enough to be pretty out of the way until needed. However, when needed, there is nothing to be done other than rolling the rifle. I also prefer the express type sight picture to aperature sights for this application. Good enough for rapid fire COM hits at 25yds.

I'm going to shoot a local outlaw 3gun type match this Sunday. I like this particular match because they bill it as a "tactical rifle match" which means it's less "gamey" and geared a little more towards defensive type scenarios. In the past I've found it to be a decent way to wring out a piece of gear. This'll give me a real feel for how well the NX8 really does 0-200 under time, accuracy, and movement constraints. If it fails the test, I'll probably just go back to an Aimpoint of some kind.

Untitled by ASH556, on Flickr
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I ditched the 1.93 and went back to the 1.54 with a piggyback dot. The lack of true cheek weld made shooting from various positions inconsistent, especially at magnification. Shooting under/around vehicles, being able to just go to a cheek weld and immediately see through the scope is way better to me. If all you ever do is shoot your LPVO like a red dot, from standing positions, then a tall mount should be fine. My question then becomes why run one at all?

1.93 and 2.04 for scopes were based off clearing lasers, then clip ons, and secondarily for shooting with pro-masks. They’ve taken off for various reasons beyond that, but from my personal experience use really matters here. I’m faster with a 1.54 for nearly every application except when I’m running a pro-mask, so I’ve got the top mounted dot for that, and as a backup/close range transition.

Obviously there was a large shift in the industry (IG) to tall mounts on everything for everyone. But a lot of the SMEs in the field seem to be discussing the transition back to 1.54 mounts, or at the very least a cheek riser with your tall mounts. I’ve heard Pressburg, Alex Hartman, and others discuss the shift back to 1.54 mounts.

That said, zero experience on 1.7 for scopes. I’d be interested to try it, but can’t speak personally to that. Sounds like it works great for some people. And everyone’s face/body chapes are different, so YMMV.
    Back in the day the Noveske Shooting Team used to run low mounts. Specifically made for them by Spuhr. Spuhr SP-3026 is the PN. Now discontinued. Their rationale and experiences were the same as yours. Slam the cheek to the gun...there it is.

User Tag List