Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Compromised back carry options help

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Anybody have particular likes or dislikes for suspenders these days? We had a short discussion a few years back but maybe there are other solid options now.
    I use Perry as they hook to the belt as compared to attaching to fabric. They have saved my old bod from cinching so tight as to be painful. I used the camo pattern as a tactical conceit at gun events.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I use Perry as they hook to the belt as compared to attaching to fabric. They have saved my old bod from cinching so tight as to be painful. I used the camo pattern as a tactical conceit at gun events.
    What Glenn said. Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I'm trying to do away with wearing a belt. What is recommended for use without a belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Would something like an Enigma rig carried below the waistband work? Just spitballing because you said is the pressure against the waistband so maybe a smaller gun carried beneath the waistband in a way that Rhett Neumayer advocates for deep concealment?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    This with the sport belt and an extra size up in pants. I have back issues. Enigma in anything besides sweats was aggravating it. Went up a size. No more issues, but my issues may not be OPs. If that doesn’t work I’d go pocket carry.

@MGW it seems to me that you've got things figured out gear wise but I thought I would bring up something else. I have been dealing with back and arm issues a lot the last few years. You sound like you're on a good path or are at least trying to be a good patient. I'd like to give you an idea of what I've done outside PT that helped me a lot. First like you I setup a routine that allows recovery time. But I used every tool available to reduce the recovery to as little time as possible. For example if I go do dry fire I run through the PT stretch routine 10 min prior like a warmup, do the dry fire which I limit to 10 minutes, stretch more, then hit the bad spots with Voltaren. Later I'll do a little ice, heat, some more stretching but I don't keep this recover routine the same. I will mix in massage using some of the same scraping/manual manipulation tools my PT uses, sometimes I'll use the Tens or tape.

Often I will even schedule my PT/dryneedling or some laser therapy for when I finish a dry fire routine, live fire routine, weight training or BJJ to reduce the pain and inflammation afterwards. You could do the same at the end of the week if your schedule allows. Kinesio tape is really awesome. You can talk to your Physical therapist about teaching you how to tape up in order to allow some of those muscles to relax. I'd also suggest if you can't tape up yourself and you've go someone who can help you out have them come with to a session or have your physical therapist video an instructional segment on your phone you can use to aid someone who's willing to help tape you.

I know it's a pain in the ass but try to find short times in the day where you can remove gear or stretch in order to give your body a little rest. Even just a few minutes taking the weight off your hips, or using heat, ice or tens. Try and focus on a cumulative effect. Look at your routine during the day and adjust where you can use rest and recovery items, stretching, creams etc. to aid recovery and to reduce time in between. I'm not a doc or therapist but I have been living with chronic pain for a long time. Living like that is draining and I've had to adjust my lifestyle a bit it sucks but it has allowed me to continue to do some of the things I really love and be there for my kids. Talk to your PT about the above if it hasn't already been brought up. I hope you recover quickly and can avoid any major surgeries. I'll recap the list below. I hope this helps you best of luck.

List for PT discussion:

Stretching routine/homework/preworkout routine for BJJ, maybe list of stuff to avoid.
    Voltaren (second biggest aid for me)
    Manual/soft tissue manipulation where applicable.
    Laser therapy
    Dry needling (this was a huge help for me)
    Kinesio tape
    Tens
    Massage

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    <big snip>

I'll recap the list below. I hope this helps you best of luck.

List for PT discussion:

Stretching routine/homework/preworkout routine for BJJ, maybe list of stuff to avoid.
    Voltaren (second biggest aid for me)
    Manual/soft tissue manipulation where applicable.
    Laser therapy
    Dry needling (this was a huge help for me)
    Kinesio tape
    Tens
    Massage
    I'm familiar with everything on your list, except for laser therapy... I'd be interested in any details you'd care to share....
    Basic Google search https://www.spineuniverse.com/treatm...-laser-therapy

I was surprised how much help acupuncture (dry needling) provided, especially early on in PT and combined with deep tissue and fascia massage.

I'd add spinal manipulation (similar to chiropractic, but by a PT trained to provide it) to your list for consideration.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List