Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Compromised back carry options help

Another bad back sufferer here. Sciatica.

During my weekly visits to the chiropractor, I need to empty my pockets, so I have been dumping everything into an old fanny pack that I carry like a sling bag. That's not ideal, but something.

For everyday carry I have moved to a S&W 43c in a pocket holster for my Rule 1 gun.

All the old guys I shoot 22 rifles with tell me I should do away with the belt and get suspenders. My chiropractor says many people who try that find improvement.

I'm experimenting with just not wearing a belt for now. It seems the pressure on my back from the belt worsens things. I can feel the difference in just a few days. For now I'm going to not wear a belt and have the bare minimum of items in my pocket and all other stuff goes in the sling bag. Notice I said sling bag instead of fanny pack because it's more cool.

I'm also experimenting with ultra light handgun AIWB with a clip holster clipped to the waistband of my trousers without a belt. I think it could work if your pants fit around the waist.

I'm interested to see what others come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Why is OWB around the strong side hip not a great answer? Is it difficulty concealing? Wardrobe conflicts when not in uniform? Shoulder holsters have already been mentioned. They’re a great option if you can continuously wear the appropriate cover garment like a jacket or hoodie. If you find yourself in a situation where keeping the cover garment on is inappropriate, then you run into a problem.

I’m a big fan of pocket carry as long as you’re conscious of its limitations. It’s not going to allow for easy access while seated or doing anything athletic like fighting. You’ll also be limited in the capability of the gun because a lot of the smaller guns that are easy to shoot such as G26s aren’t great for pocket carry.
    Strong side carry cause a lot of problems when I'm on the ground. When I'm on my back I almost always pivot on my right hip.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

@MGW

For perspective, are you required to wear a belt (can you get away with suspenders)?

If you don’t have to wear a belt, then it can help with other options.

Enigma is a good choice as mentioned above.

Other possible below the waist options are Smart Carry or even Urban Carry flap thingy holster.

Site Supporter
    My lumbar went bad at L5/S1. A year of PT, lots and lots and lots of core exercises helped tremendously. About 6 months in I asked my Doc about getting back to AIWB and she gave me the thumbs up. Haven't looked back.

Safe to assume that you've explored the medical and PT options?

Back pain sucks. I wish you well in solving it @MGW
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

If you want to try an enigma i have an extra one you can borrow to try it out.

Site Supporter
    I don't know anything about anything, but also wondered if moving the weight to your shoulders via good suspenders would allow you to loosen your belt thereby reducing the compression and allow you to run your current gun and gear more comfortably?

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    Strong side carry cause a lot of problems when I'm on the ground. When I'm on my back I almost always pivot on my right hip.
    It’s tough to beat AIWB from a grappling perspective, that’s for sure. Since that doesn’t seem to be an option for you right now, you’re going to have to sacrifice something. You can carry strong side OWB and make ground fighting slightly more difficult or you’re going to have to sacrifice something related to the gun such as carrying in a shoulder rig or the pocket. You should take @Flamingo’s offer of the borrowed Enigma to see if you can AIWB that way. If the enigma doesn’t aggravate you’re back, it’ll probably be the best option. My guess is it will because it’s still a belt. It’s just a thin nylon belt inside of your pants instead of whatever gun belt you normally use. Worth a shot, though.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    So you’re not willing to try something that will probably make carrying a service size gun that you can shoot well, because it will be under your hip on the ground? You said out of uniform, so I assume you wear a pistol on duty. Where is that pistol when in uniform?

It’s certainly your prerogative to choose your own gear, but are you ground fighting daily off duty? I’m no BJJ master, but I really don’t care if I drag my issued pistol across concrete during a fight. I tell my guys all the time, don’t sacrifice your primary mission for some low probability backup need.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    So you’re not willing to try something that will probably make carrying a service size gun that you can shoot well, because it will be under your hip on the ground? You said out of uniform, so I assume you wear a pistol on duty. Where is that pistol when in uniform?

It’s certainly your prerogative to choose your own gear, but are you ground fighting daily off duty? I’m no BJJ master, but I really don’t care if I drag my issued pistol across concrete during a fight. I tell my guys all the time, don’t sacrifice your primary mission for some low probability backup need.
    You’re making a lot of assumptions none of which are correct.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    You’re making a lot of assumptions none of which are correct.
    Cool man, you do you. I’ve been dealing with back issues myself for a while. Good luck.

User Tag List