Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Compromised back carry options help

Compromised back carry options help

I couldn't decide where to post this or even if I should post this but here it goes.

I'm looking for some input from the group. I've been a member here for a long time. I started carrying AIWB because of Todd. I started BJJ because of this group. I attended classes with Cecil, Tom, Ernest, and Gabe because of this group. I started shooting matches because of this group and pushed my shooting skill because of this group. I feel like I went from being a part-time .mil guy that could shoot nice groups to being a guy that is pretty squared away in defensive skill and mindset. I'm not trying to brag about that I just want to paint a picture of where I was at to where I'm at now. I'm pretty deflated about the entire situation but I know I'm not the only one that has every gone through a change like this.

I can't carry AIWB or IWB anymore. There is a lot of background info that I'm not going to go into but I have a back issue that I have been fighting for close to a year now. Any pressure from a pistol carried inside the waistband aggravates my back and continues to aggravate it for several days after. I went from carrying a 1911 or 34, to a 17, to a 19. I've also tried a 48 and a snubby. Weight doesn't matter, it's the pressure from having something inside the waistband.

So now I'm trying to figure out what the best option is moving forward. My jits brain tells me pocket carrying a rule one gun isn't going to work. 3 o'clock OWB isn't a great answer, although that's what I'm doing now when I'm in uniform. I'm a single dude that likes to date. I'm not wearing a fanny pack.

So what are my options that I'm not considering? Is there an OWB appendix carry option that might work? Do I just say screw it and carry something tiny in a pocket?

I guess the biggest disappointment to me is I really enjoyed carrying something appendix that I knew I could use at a high level. Now I'm relegated to something that is full of compromises in ability and carry position. I kind of hoped writing this all out would help me think through the problem and come up with a solution but so far it hasn't.

If you have input on a pistol and carry option that might work I would appreciate it. For a little more context I'm 6' 170, athletic build, a decent drop between shoulders, chest, and waist.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Would something like an Enigma rig carried below the waistband work? Just spitballing because you said is the pressure against the waistband so maybe a smaller gun carried beneath the waistband in a way that Rhett Neumayer advocates for deep concealment?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Sholder holster may be your friend.

Mas talks about it here,

https://youtu.be/nD9tNKG2AY0

I'll just throw this out there since you are looking for other options.
    Consider carrying a pair of snubby revolvers, one in the pocket and one on your ankle.
    It sounds like a compromise at first but it's actually quite practical if you think about it.
    When standing the pocket snub should be easily accessible, even allowing you to stage your hand on the gun without anyone knowing the wiser... This covers your needs when walking around.
    When seated the ankle snub becomes easy to access covering your needs when driving or sitting down somewhere. I'd bet most people could draw an ankle gun inside a car faster than an AIWB that is inside a shirt underneath a seat belt.
    Yes, it limits you to only 5 rounds then 5 more if you grab the second snub, and snubs can be challenging to shoot well without practice, but it beats not carrying. Plus, by carrying one in both "compromised positions" each one helps cover the deficiencies of the other.

Why is OWB around the strong side hip not a great answer? Is it difficulty concealing? Wardrobe conflicts when not in uniform? Shoulder holsters have already been mentioned. They’re a great option if you can continuously wear the appropriate cover garment like a jacket or hoodie. If you find yourself in a situation where keeping the cover garment on is inappropriate, then you run into a problem.

I’m a big fan of pocket carry as long as you’re conscious of its limitations. It’s not going to allow for easy access while seated or doing anything athletic like fighting. You’ll also be limited in the capability of the gun because a lot of the smaller guns that are easy to shoot such as G26s aren’t great for pocket carry.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

For your situation there are two choices that immediately come to mind.

In kydex/plastic, the Raven Perun, which can be configured for straight drop or 10-degree cant by the user.

In leather, I would suggest the Milt Sparks Optics Ready straight drop. Yes I realize you did not mention an optic. I have one and use mine for carrying a Glock both with and without an optic, and it works great.

Those two would be at the top of my list.

Also you may have to determine what your priorities are. Due to the fact that you are dealing with an injury and cannot carry in your favorite method, you need to change methods. You need to determine what is most important. Looking as dapper as possible or carrying a gun you are willing to get into a stand-up gunfight with.

Hope this helps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I couldn't decide where to post this or even if I should post this but here it goes.

I'm looking for some input from the group. I've been a member here for a long time. I started carrying AIWB because of Todd. I started BJJ because of this group. I attended classes with Cecil, Tom, Ernest, and Gabe because of this group. I started shooting matches because of this group and pushed my shooting skill because of this group. I feel like I went from being a part-time .mil guy that could shoot nice groups to being a guy that is pretty squared away in defensive skill and mindset. I'm not trying to brag about that I just want to paint a picture of where I was at to where I'm at now. I'm pretty deflated about the entire situation but I know I'm not the only one that has every gone through a change like this.

I can't carry AIWB or IWB anymore. There is a lot of background info that I'm not going to go into but I have a back issue that I have been fighting for close to a year now. Any pressure from a pistol carried inside the waistband aggravates my back and continues to aggravate it for several days after. I went from carrying a 1911 or 34, to a 17, to a 19. I've also tried a 48 and a snubby. Weight doesn't matter, it's the pressure from having something inside the waistband.

So now I'm trying to figure out what the best option is moving forward. My jits brain tells me pocket carrying a rule one gun isn't going to work. 3 o'clock OWB isn't a great answer, although that's what I'm doing now when I'm in uniform. I'm a single dude that likes to date. I'm not wearing a fanny pack.

So what are my options that I'm not considering? Is there an OWB appendix carry option that might work? Do I just say screw it and carry something tiny in a pocket?

I guess the biggest disappointment to me is I really enjoyed carrying something appendix that I knew I could use at a high level. Now I'm relegated to something that is full of compromises in ability and carry position. I kind of hoped writing this all out would help me think through the problem and come up with a solution but so far it hasn't.

If you have input on a pistol and carry option that might work I would appreciate it. For a little more context I'm 6' 170, athletic build, a decent drop between shoulders, chest, and waist.
    I had the same issues, with every 50 cent word for a Lumbar Spine condition there is I think. I just had Radio Frequency Ablation of both my right and left sides of my spine and it has worked wonders.

I'm not a Doctor and have never played one on TV, but it might help your condition.

Hope this helps.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    For your situation there are two choices that immediately come to mind.

In kydex/plastic, the Raven Perun, which can be configured for straight drop or 10-degree cant by the user.

In leather, I would suggest the Milt Sparks Optics Ready straight drop. Yes I realize you did not mention an optic. I have one and use mine for carrying a Glock both with and without an optic, and it works great.

Those two would be at the top of my list.

Also you may have to determine what your priorities are. Due to the fact that you are dealing with an injury and cannot carry in your favorite method, you need to change methods. You need to determine what is most important. Looking as dapper as possible or carrying a gun you are willing to get into a stand-up gunfight with.

Hope this helps.
    Yeah I was going to vote for a Perun also, and suggest a Glock 26 to minimize length below the belt while still being just about as capable as a larger pistol.

+1 on the shoulder holster option. I've used one extensively in years past due to back issues.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Would something like an Enigma rig carried below the waistband work? Just spitballing because you said is the pressure against the waistband so maybe a smaller gun carried beneath the waistband in a way that Rhett Neumayer advocates for deep concealment?

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I really don't know. I've been hesitant to spend the money to try it. I'm not sure which pistol would work either.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List