Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Building Resources

1911 Building Resources

If I was to decide to build a 1911 next summer, where's some good places to go for parts and info?

I'm already familiar with Brownells, EGW, Caspian, and Wilson. Where's some other places to go for quality parts?

Also, does anyone sell pre-milled 1911 slides?

As for information, are there any good online resources for proper parts fitting?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I have been curious about Fusion.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have built a few.

The first one was built on a Caspian/Foster second about 20 years ago. It was pretty rough but it ran. I used Caspian, Ed Brown, Chip McCormick, Greider, and some takeoffs from Colt and Springfield. I ended up trading off the slide, frame, and barrel, and using some of the parts on build #2.

The second was a Colt slide on a Fusion frame, and a Dan Wesson takeoff barrel. The Fusion frame was much nicer than the Caspian and it fit nicely. This time I upped the parts quality on some items like the thumb safety and purchased an ignition kit from Cylinder and Slide. Much improved and worked great when dropped in.

Third was a 2011 build in 40. I bought a box of STI parts off a guy and had to get a frame and slide. I don't know all of the parts manufacturers but they went together pretty easily. I did use an Aftec extractor becsuse I had heard they worked well in 40 and it did. Never had a failure to extract in the 750ish rounds I shot the gun. I ended up trading it to a friend who ran it for a while.

My latest build is based on a Nighthawk complete upper that I received in a trade about 10 years ago. I have purchased a Nighthawk frame for it and the plan is to put them together this winter. I'm going with a Nighthawk beavertail so I don't have to deal with a lot of metal removal, etc.

I'm not sure in the thumb safety yet but it will probably be a Wilson.

Stan Chen MSH- First time but it looks high quality
    Ed Brown frame rebuild / parts kit - I've used several of these and they work well, also like their plunger tubes
    FYI- EB makes parts for others. Some stuff on the market is just relabled EB.
    I'll proably go with a C&S ignition kit again.
    Wilson slide stop, because I have one from a trade.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

For tech info, Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manuals are a good resource. I just don't know if they have online/digital versions available.

Caspian will cut your sight dovetails for a minor fee (presumably you'll go with Novak cuts). And if you buy the frame from them, they'll pre-fit the slide and frame for you as well. Which would simplify things a bit and leave you to fit up the internals, extractor, and barrel.

Harrison Custom has several useful tools and the 10-8 Performance armorer's blocks are useful as well.

You're going to need a good set of dial calipers and a good micrometer, plenty of sand paper from 220-600 grit, a barrel fitting file, and some emory stones.

Man, those are all cool and all - but at ~4-6k without lodging, food, or travel you're looking at it being 8-10k to build one gun. I love 1911s, but 8-10k gets you into full house Jason Burton territory.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Man, those are all cool and all - but at ~4-6k without lodging, food, or travel you're looking at it being 8-10k to build one gun. I love 1911s, but 8-10k gets you into full house Jason Burton territory.
    Agreed.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You also get an education and could build many more 1911s with that knowledge.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List