Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Bed side gun

I use whatever I ccw

Previously G19 with 509T.

Now p365xl macro with a eps carry

Enigma goes bedside

Because in general it is difficult to find a place where you can shoot in the dark I urge all of you to try to get that experience. We have had lasers on our HD guns for a long time. But my first night idpa match w/ the laser/light combination was an eye opener.

Bed-side gun? Well, lately, no semi-auto pistols, but, whatever revolving pistols I carried earlier, during the day, and, more importantly, a Benelli M2. There is loaded Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911 available, and a G17, but it is neither is beside the bed, or beside the recliner, where I am likely to be, at night.

The Benelli M2 is not the only shotgun available, should things happen, but it is kept closest, because shotguns, when accurately fired, during real-world incidents, do tend to be permanently decisive. It is also the weapon with which I have the most-recent formal training class, a quite street-relevant tactical shotgun class. The firearms training unit, of the PD which employed me, taught a quite good elective Tactical Shotgun class, by the time I was nearing retirement.

I am aware of the conventional wisdom that a handgun is better for moving about, inside one’s home, if there was been a bump in the night.

Edited to add: I have NO weapons “on the nightstand.” That seems to be tactical faux pas, as I see it.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-20-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Regarding my previous post, and why a weapon on the nightstand is a tactical faux pas, well, I investigated a long ton of burglaries, during 33+ years of big-city police patrol. Being so informed, should I decide to start doing burglaries as a post-retirement career, I know that I could arrive at a home unarmed, and after going to the kitchen to find the best kitchen knife, should check the closet nearest the front door, and the NIGHTSTAND, to find weapons.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post

A 9mm vs. multiple bad guys = you’re dead.
    True. Always load more than just one 9mm cartridge into one’s 9mm firearm.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    PS Weapon-mounted lights are a terrible idea, they give away your position and they also force you to point your gun at whatever you want illuminated. Could be your son or daughter.
    With proper training and discipline, a WML is quite valid. A WML is not a substitute for a hand-held light.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    With proper training and discipline, a WML is quite valid. A WML is not a substitute for a hand-held light.
    True. Always load more than just one 9mm cartridge into one’s 9mm firearm.
    The Mcgivro dude was called out for trolling in another thread, one can only presume he was doing the same in this one.

Regarding my previous post, and why a weapon on the nightstand is a tactical faux pas, well, I investigated a long ton of burglaries, during 33+ years of big-city police patrol. Being so informed, should I decide to start doing burglaries as a post-retirement career, I know that I could arrive at a home unarmed, and after going to the kitchen to find the best kitchen knife, should check the closet nearest the front door, and the NIGHTSTAND, to find weapons.
    If a burglar can enter the home while the residents are sleeping and take control of the homeowner’s nightstand pistol before the homeowner can, it’s not the nightstand pistol that was the tactical faux pas, it’s everything else. My plan is for the alarm system and my dogs to alert me to intruders prior to the intruders making their way into my bedroom.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Because in general it is difficult to find a place where you can shoot in the dark I urge all of you to try to get that experience. We have had lasers on our HD guns for a long time. But my first night idpa match w/ the laser/light combination was an eye opener.
    We decided to do an indoor carry gun or HD gun dark match (meaning no fancy pants USPSA guns, optics). Had to have some kind of light. I was worried about reloads using a hand held light and asked about it here. No WML lights. So I opted for a clip on light on a ball cap. That was allowed. I bought a high end one for the match. Discovery, here the beep and reach for the cap - can't find the button. Next time, hand held, probably wouldn't have a reload in play at home or wearing a cap anyway. The light was cool though.

Scariest night match. Used targets with the center cut out and a balloon inserted. That was so it was noticeable that you hit 'COM'. However, one guy missed the balloon but it fell out and he started to chase it with rounds at it bounced around. A thunderous NOOOOO was heard.

The two clubs who have a night matches don't allow any head mounted lights. They always end up accidentally blinding someone. It is about evenly divided between weapon mounted and handheld lights. One fellow w/ a hand held showed me his light. Very short, maybe 3 inches overall. A couple of orings stretched around it at the butt end and then another pair to the front w/ space for his fingers to fit in between the bunches of orings. He holds it between fingers of his support hand. He says the short is the key so it doesn't have a bunch of weight way out beyond his fingers always causing it to sag downward. I have a $5 three AAA light ( you see them at the checkout at Lowes in a bunch of neon colors) on a neck lanyard hanging down a little. It isn't real powerful but just enough to illuminate where I am walking, or into my range bag, or the target I am pasting. At my turn to shoot I just throw it over my shoulder so it is hanging down behind me. One thing that has become obvious to me is you don't need a lot of light. My mounted light/laser is just 100 lumens and that is plenty. I have a couple of slightly more powerful lights w/ me but last Saturday the only one I used was the cheapie. Our stages are usually pretty simple because dealing w/ the dark is enough of a challenge.

User Tag List