Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bed side gun

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I think a lot of opinions are unfortunately formed by movies. Something we're all a little guilty of in various ways. The image of a pitch black night with two adversaries stalking one another in silence. The reality, as we've learned from studying real life situations, is that uses of lethal force are going to be quick, sloppy, and loud. While I prefer an offhand light, I fully agree that it's more than worth any sort of "tactical disadvantage" to avoid another tragic news story of a dad who shot his kid who was sneaking in. I'd honestly rather a bad guy take me out than be responsible for a bad shoot.

This made me laugh because I also keep this awesome Cold Steel tanto my fiancee bought me last Christmas on one of the lower shelves of the night table. Odds of actual use? Basically 0. But it's rad.

I also enjoy your setup because it shows we all (me too) overthink it. The fact of the matter is a revolver you practice and compete with would probably do just as well as all of our tacticool setups in 99% of situations.
    We could probably use some input from Fire Fighters on the forum about this, but IMHO I think having something to break and rake window if needed for fire escape would be a very practical reason for having something like a Tomahawk or Car Glass breaker in the bedroom. I live in the Midwest and in winter you might not be able to open a window because of ice/snow freezing it shut.

AFAIK fire is far more likely to be an issue statistically, so having an egress tool and old cell phone (will still allow one to call 911 without sim card) easily accessible from floor by bed (floor is safer from smoke inhalation and incoming enemy fire) would actually make a lot of sense.

Speaking of fire, I think most if not all smoke/fire detectors are really only good for about 7 years then they should be replaced, entire unit not just battery, because at least some of them if not all rely on a small amount of radioactive material streaming radiation at sensor that gets blocked by smoke particles to work. Though my technical understanding of that might be lacking.

I did have coworker who's family (his wife and kids) only survive house fire when smoke alarms with good batteries failed to alarm but family dogs woke them up in time to evacuated and call fire department.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    See mine was, "The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 4th Edition" by Chuck Taylor. Mr. Taylor's preference for the 1911 influenced me. In particular a Series 70 wearing an early Surefire weaponlight on page 139. And then all the great holsters towards the end of the book.

That really was a great book and as a 13-year old kid, I learned A LOT from it. It included some valuable bits and bobs on things like seeking proper training and improvisation.
    Reason I tried Glock 26 originally was because both Mas & Chuck Taylor seemed impressed with it, and while I believe they both had respect for each other they certainly strongly disagreed about some things. Figured anything they agreed on had to be a rock solid choice.

They had similar agreement about utility J frame or other small snubby revolvers which I had found to be the smallest really usable, though with effort, everyday CCW gun. So I tried G26 and it was so much easier to shoot the first time than the J frame I'd spent low thousands of rounds and endless hours of dryfire practice shooting that the G26 became my primary with J frame BUG whenever I could conceal the G26.

Eventually went to pair of G26's and J frame became only when needed something smaller, with 12 round Glock mag the G26 works better for me than G19 and with 10 round flush mag it is concealable for me in ways G19 isn't.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I may be switching to a Daniel Defense M4v9 for that role if it passes the vetting process
    Seriously? I thought I was the only vertebrate on the planet with a v9. With an LPVO added, it has some bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Heck those little Cold Steel Shovels are multi-tools as far as I am concerned!
    They aren't the the cutter a Woodman's Pal is, but I use one for various yard tasks now that it and I are no longer involved with ES. As an axe it lacks power, and as a machete it has a damn small sweet spot, but I'd hate to get the edge of it upside my head.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Reason I tried Glock 26 originally was because both Mas & Chuck Taylor seemed impressed with it, and while I believe they both had respect for each other they certainly strongly disagreed about some things. Figured anything they agreed on had to be a rock solid choice.

They had similar agreement about utility J frame or other small snubby revolvers which I had found to be the smallest really usable, though with effort, everyday CCW gun. So I tried G26 and it was so much easier to shoot the first time than the J frame I'd spent low thousands of rounds and endless hours of dryfire practice shooting that the G26 became my primary with J frame BUG whenever I could conceal the G26.

Eventually went to pair of G26's and J frame became only when needed something smaller, with 12 round Glock mag the G26 works better for me than G19 and with 10 round flush mag it is concealable for me in ways G19 isn't.
    That...is a pretty great point. The tanto is very robust and heavily built too, and long enough to keep my hand clear of glass. It would definitely work for that. I feel downright responsible now.

I keep an HK USP .45 full size by the bed loaded with 230gr std pressure HST's, with a Polish FB Radom Beryl AK in 5.56 loaded with 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 62gr .223 nearby in case I have enough time to get to it. I may be switching to a Daniel Defense M4v9 for that role if it passes the vetting process, but I do love that Beryl so much I got a second one. NATO AKs are just fun.

(Online pic but set up about like this)
    Attachment 97311

Rad.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I have a Glock 17 with a Surefire light on it and a 19-round mag loaded with Gold Dots. Tritium sights need to be replaced as they are rather dim now. Handheld Surefire is also kept at bedside. This is a dedicated bedside pistol and almost never carried.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

SIG P226 DAK with Surefire X300 and a Mec Gar 18 rd. mag w/147 gr. HSTs in a Fort Knox simplex pistol box. I also keep a Surefire G2Z with a lanyard in the mini safe.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post

Rad(om).
    FIFY.

M&P9 2.0, with an empty chamber and light.

Full magazine of RA9T, with an AR in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Seriously? I thought I was the only vertebrate on the planet with a v9. With an LPVO added, it has some bulk.
    Now I guess there's two of us. I just like the overbuilt robustness of a quad rail, it doesn't seem to heat up as fast, and it's just plain comfortable for me partly because it's what I know. It was between the DD4 RIS III (16" midlength gas with ambi lower and M-lok version of the RIS II), or the DD M4A1 RIS II (14.5" carbine gas pinned/welded). I decided I'd like the midlength gas system and 16" barrel (I want to put a 3 prong Surefire flash hider on there), but I still am stuck in the past and desired a quad rail, so that's what I ordered through the gun shop I work at. Employee pricing combined with trading in a beat up old Arsenal AK that I paid little for (and I have many copies of the same Arsenal), I'm only paying a few hundred dollars for it.

Maybe I'm against the grain but I actually prefer not to have an ambi lower. Maybe I'd come around to it if I shot it more but the safety lever on the right side bothers my trigger finger, and I don't like additional small parts hanging on both sides of the receiver when a normal lower's controls will get me through anything I might encounter. Just seems like more small parts to go wrong.

What LVPO do you have on it? I'm between just a red dot like an Aimpoint of some sort, or an LVPO, but I don't know much about what the good ones are.

...On the other hand, I think I'm the only vertebrate who keeps a Polish AK74(ish) variant in 5.56 by my bed for home defense. Huh.
    Last edited by SwampDweller; 11-18-2022 at 05:52 PM.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    What LVPO do you have on it? I'm between just a red dot like an Aimpoint of some sort, or an LVPO, but I don't know much about what the good ones are.
    I got a Vortex Viper PST gen II 1-6x24 for it about the time they hit the retailers, and while it may not be considered a "good one" at this time/place, I have been quite happy with it. I consider it good kit that punches above what I paid for it; to be honest, anything over 6X is going to be overkill for me at this point.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List