Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Bed side gun

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Hey why not!

I came home one day many years ago to find an extremely pushy "salesman" supposedly selling home cleaning supplies in my garage, (the door was open) talking to my brother in law and trying his best to work his way into my house. Him and his crew had been in the area for a couple days and I had seen them earlier hitting up the gullible housewives in the neighborhood. They looked like they were casing homes to come back and burglarize.

Long story short this super fast talking guy who was also doing the "God Loves You" routine kept saying he was just going to talk to the lady of the house and trying to go in through the garage. I had gone into the house and while I had my pistol on me I felt it might be a bit much, so I grabbed my lead filled sap.

It was one I carried overseas when less lethal means were appropriate:

I convinced him to not only get out of my garage, and off my property, but followed him a couple houses down the street. He started to go up to a friend/neighbor's house. He was another cop who was not home, and his wife was a stay-at-home mom that would be a total pushover and let the guy in, in a matter of seconds. I suggested that the guy find another neighborhood.

So maybe one day your Cold Steel Tanto may come in handy. Not every problem requires shooting to solve.

Heck those little Cold Steel Shovels are multi-tools as far as I am concerned!
    When you mentioned Cold Steel earlier in the thread, that shovel was the first thing I thought of. Do them in, section them into manageable portions and bury them properly. Like you say, multi tool extraordinaire.

I have a Joe Biden Special. It's a double barrel 12 Ga coach gun, chambers empty, with some double OO buck in an elastic butt cuff. I'd thought about loading it with blanks for the 2 blasts in the air.

I also have a Glock 17, Ameriglo night sights, TLR-1 light on the rail and CT laser grips. Gun is empty with a couple loaded mags with it in the night stand drawer.

I keep my guns a couple motions from usable in case I'm coming out of a deep sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    A shotgun.

A 9mm vs. multiple bad guys = you’re dead.

PS Weapon-mounted lights are a terrible idea, they give away your position and they also force you to point your gun at whatever you want illuminated. Could be your son or daughter.
    Ummm, they will already know where you are unless you’re a movie ninja with night vision and no squeaks at all in your floor.

You don’t have to point you’re gun at someone with a weaponlight if it’s more than 2 candela. I’ve cleared a lot of houses and buildings, you can see plenty with the spill at low ready if you have a decent WML.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Glock, light

This thread has sent me looking for a Surefire 310R, because I stared at this picture a lot:

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.12.40 PM.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  68.7 KB

For me this is a developing thing.

Right now I’m splitting time between living alone at work in an RV and living at home very far away with my family.

Situation 1 is RV living. It’s a gated community with armed security. If you know me and my situation you understand the truth and humor behind that statement. I have so many damn guns and lights and a damn helmet with a PVS-14 sitting next to the plate carrier that’s across from the M4 and pistol with passive optic and IR Illuminator/Laser that if a bad guy gets on property and past things in place and then gets into my place without me knowing... they beat the game... good for them.

If the poop really hit the fan right now I’d grab my Staccato P because that’s my current carry/HD gun. It’s stupid reliable and stupider accurate. HD gets a Surefire X300 Turbo though when out and about I don’t carry the light because a) I don’t have a holster.. and b) It seems like it would suck. I always have a hand-held which for the past couple years has been a Surefire Stiletto.

In the more reality of situation 2, I’m with my family. I’d like to think I’m in an overall better area of living. The things here will be there eventually because I have them, but right now I have a Glock 45 with an ACRO and TLR-7A. When I go out there next month I’ll be bringing an extra bigger gun along with a few carry guns of the 1911 and 2011 flavor. Maybe one or two others as well. Based on what I’m planning to bring the other guns will be for carry, but the G45 will be the dedicated home defense gun in a quick access safe in our bedroom. In the near future (while the young kids are still young) I’ll still have my carry gun accessible in a high shelf in the closet. That will probably be the Staccato C/EPS Carry, but maybe even an iron sight 1911 depending on my mood.

I’m in the “carry gun on nightstand” crowd. For me that’s a 9mm Commander, loaded in its JMCK holster just like when I was carrying it earlier in the day. The Surefire EDCL-1T I carry is there as well.

My spare carry mags are nearby, as is an 870 with five rounds of Flite Control in the tube and five in a side saddle. Med gear, a spare flashlight, and more ammo (as if I’d ever need it) are also nearby in a little Patagonia satchel (basically the size of a fanny pack but it goes across your chest). The 870 can be subbed out for an AR if for some reason that seems prudent.

It’s an arrangement I’m pretty happy with so far.

I've been engaging in a slow and entertaining evolution of nightstand guns. For years it was an HK P30 I modified with the 4.1 LEM, then I putted along with a striker-fired VP9, now I'm doing the Česká zbrojovka TDA finger exercises with my new CZ P01. The CZ has a different aesthetic than the more tactical looking HKs

The standard OEM CZ double-action is also comfortable to carry in my JM Custom 2.5 AIWB holster that I use almost every day. Striker fired pistols make me nervous to point at my family jewels

The Lok grips are thin dark red/black full-checkered, Meprolight hyper bright night-sights, loaded with 147gr HST in 10 round mags to appease the Governor

The background is a T shirt with an image of van Gogh's "Mulberry Tree, 1889"

[/ATTACH]Name:  CZ P 01 #two 20221119_085922 (003).jpg
Views: 399
Size:  99.9 KB
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Mine is my carry G26 in lockbox in closet (kids).

I sold my G19 years ago bc I never carried it. Now that the finger grooves are gone i've seriously been thinking about a G19 or G45 MOS to have a pistol with dot. I have so many G19 mags, a G19 just makes more sense... even if the G45 feels better.

Same 365XL that I just switched to carrying with. Previously a G26. I shoot it a lot and I'm capped at 10 rounds anyway.

Familiarity trumps performance in all reasonable comparisons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    We could probably use some input from Fire Fighters on the forum about this, but IMHO I think having something to break and rake window if needed for fire escape would be a very practical reason for having something like a Tomahawk or Car Glass breaker in the bedroom. I live in the Midwest and in winter you might not be able to open a window because of ice/snow freezing it shut.
    You already have the tools necessary. House glass is not as tough as auto glass, and any bedroom should have plenty of blankets, sheets, and spare clothes available to pad the bottom of the frame, and to wrap around your arm to clear glass. If I was going to make sure I had anything in the bedroom for fire preparedness, it would be a pair of shoes, a cell phone, and a winter coat.

Some stuff:

*Panic injures more people than anything else. I am frankly shocked at just how shitty the average person is at making decisions in even non-life-threatening emergencies.

*EVERY serious injury I have ever seen in a residential structure fire has been from people attempting to fight the fire. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

*The hidden danger of any fire exposure is inhaling hot air. I've had a couple people now with relatively minor exterior burns die shortly thereafter because they inhaled hot air from the fire. The most common mechanism was falling into a campfire, one was the aforementioned woman attempting to fight a fire.

If you're concerned about fire, make sure your detectors work. Dial 911 and evacuate at the first sign of trouble.

User Tag List