Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Bed side gun

At the Halloween USPSA-ish fun shoot last month, I did three runs, using a stock G17 (well, stock plus gadget). The first two runs, I used a handheld, neck index, with finger lanyard to facilitate the one reload I had to do. Worked ok, I guess—although I wish I had a @NHshooter wrist lanyard at the time. Wrist loop > finger loop. The third run was interesting. I decided that there was more than enough ambient light: coming in through the back bay windows; the spooky strobe across the room, etc. etc. to see the targets. I was right. Too bad that the Stock 17 didn’t have a front night sight. I still got some good hits; the flash from the first tap helped center the second on each target.

Anyways, I’m now a believer in a front night sight. And a wrist lanyard.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    If a burglar can enter the home while the residents are sleeping and take control of the homeowner’s nightstand pistol before the homeowner can, it’s not the nightstand pistol that was the tactical faux pas, it’s everything else. My plan is for the alarm system and my dogs to alert me to intruders prior to the intruders making their way into my bedroom.
    True, and a very good point, but I was also meaning the nightstand pistols that tend to be left in the nightstand 24/7, just like the shotgun or baseball bat that is always in the closet nearest the front door.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    True, and a very good point, but I was also meaning the nightstand pistols that tend to be left in the nightstand 24/7, just like the shotgun or baseball bat that is always in the closet nearest the front door.
    Ah. I forget that sometimes people do really stupid things like that. It’s like a “truck gun” but in your nightstand drawer. If no one is in the residence to have control of them, all guns get secured. That’s how it should be in everyone’s house.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

If a burglar can enter the home while the residents are sleeping and take control of the homeowner’s nightstand pistol before the homeowner can, it’s not the nightstand pistol that was the tactical faux pas, it’s everything else. My plan is for the alarm system and my dogs to alert me to intruders prior to the intruders making their way into my bedroom.
    A very important point. One should have good locks and strong doors and alarms to deter homebreakers if possible, and at least slow them down and cause them to make noise to alert you.

There are devices available that allow you to attach a holster to the side of your bed between the mattress and the box spring. This is not something that you would use if you have children in the house. Also, probably not a good idea to leave the gun there when you are not home or if there are any non-family people in the home. There are a number of these deals on Amazon that feature some type of cheap contraption like this with an elastic holster. They might be functional because you are not looking for something to wear on your person, but to hold the gun on a fixed position on an object. Here is a link to one that seems to be better than the cheaper ones listed: https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-40B.../dp/B007ZNU532

Name:  bedside holster - Copy.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  15.9 KB

Crossbreed holsters also has one available. I am generally not a fan of crossbreed holsters, but for this purpose I think it would be fine: https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/b...ckup-bsbu.html

Name:  bed holster.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  28.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Same 365XL that I just switched to carrying with. Previously a G26. I shoot it a lot and I'm capped at 10 rounds anyway.

Familiarity trumps performance in all reasonable comparisons.

You already have the tools necessary. House glass is not as tough as auto glass, and any bedroom should have plenty of blankets, sheets, and spare clothes available to pad the bottom of the frame, and to wrap around your arm to clear glass. If I was going to make sure I had anything in the bedroom for fire preparedness, it would be a pair of shoes, a cell phone, and a winter coat.

Some stuff:

*Panic injures more people than anything else. I am frankly shocked at just how shitty the average person is at making decisions in even non-life-threatening emergencies.

*EVERY serious injury I have ever seen in a residential structure fire has been from people attempting to fight the fire. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

*The hidden danger of any fire exposure is inhaling hot air. I've had a couple people now with relatively minor exterior burns die shortly thereafter because they inhaled hot air from the fire. The most common mechanism was falling into a campfire, one was the aforementioned woman attempting to fight a fire.

If you're concerned about fire, make sure your detectors work. Dial 911 and evacuate at the first sign of trouble.
    Shoes are very good point I wasn't thinking of! I should have, your mention jarred my memory about that specific issue I've seen mentioned in the past for fire, tornado, hurricane, etc. evacuation.

I'm going to slightly disagree with the wrapping your arm with blankets or something to clear glass. While on good days I can still do that, on bad day I might need a tool with my health issues.

And I know several specific people, like close friend of my gf who is a single short woman nearing retirement that is on blood thinners and has already on at least one occasion collapsed at work and was ambulanced to local level 4 Trauma Center before being transported to closest Level 1 Trauma Center that I wouldn't want to try and beak and clear glass with her hands if they had any kind of decent tool for the job.

I really appreciate and am putting in my notes your very good suggestion of padding the window frame with something, have to do some research but I'd think if allergies aren't an issue something like a wool blanket would be good choice to have planned for that use. Only times I've had need to enter or exit via window was able to open window and remove screen so don't have first hand experience with glass breaking house windows on purpose. Though have done bit of testing for breaking Auto glass since Uncle used to own a Glass business and I helped him at times, and he was kind enough to let me do bunch of experiments with windshields. His Auto Glass shop also was the place local glass manufacture used for installation various types of auto door glass and filming some video for ads about differences in auto door glass vs attacker with hammer/crowbar.

Slight tangent, I've been recommending to all friends, family, loved ones that have issues or concern about falling from Parkinson's, mobility issues, etc to get an Apple Watch Series 4 or newer because of the Fall Detection https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

Certainly don't need to pay for a new watch, thanks to Tam years ago I learned about Apple's Refurbished & Clearance department https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished which has saved me lots of money over the years. They even put new batteries in devices that have them, so they are generally even a better value than OWC, which I also use and recommend https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Appl...cs_and_Tablets

Ah. I forget that sometimes people do really stupid things like that. It’s like a “truck gun” but in your nightstand drawer. If no one is in the residence to have control of them, all guns get secured. That’s how it should be in everyone’s house.
    Yes, and, even if home, some folks will be in their garage, rec room, yard, or such, and so not in the bedroom, at the time something happens.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

This is evolving a little bit for me. In general I use guns to counter threats out in the world — the chances of nefarious entry into my home have never seemed high enough to be particularly worried about. I carry a pistol around the house and am only unarmed while actually in bed.

My carry pistol goes in a safe in my dressing room, a flight of stairs from the bedroom (in the ‘wrong’ direction from egress). My other firearms are stored off property, a legacy of toddler years that I have little motivation to amend.

For a long time I kept a G17 with a handheld light in a lockbox in my nightstand drawer. Deployment takes about a minute. I moved the pistol when I went to Gunsite in August and have not replaced it.

However, the world is changing, and I like to waste money. A Black Friday deal at Wilson has a Haught Special on its way to me. I plan to buy a V-Line https://www.vlineind.com/shop/shotgu...-shotgun-safe/ and slide it under the bed after attaching a light to the m-lok forend. If the wife ever decides to train I might put an AR on her side, but that’s for another day. I intend to give my 12yo the code to the v-line. The securish storage is only intended to cope with visitors to the home.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Since the topic of shooting in low light popped up, and since my tiny little training group does at least some shooting in... let's say diminished lightning conditions (whenever I say "low light" people for some reason immediately translate it as pitch black darkness) about four to six times a year, please allow me to share some of my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    The two clubs who have a night matches don't allow any head mounted lights. They always end up accidentally blinding someone.
    Head lights make very poor lights for shooting. Most of your light ends up splashing back from your arms and the rear of the weapon you are holding. Makes it really difficult to even see the target once you bring your weapon up.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    One thing that has become obvious to me is you don't need a lot of light. My mounted light/laser is just 100 lumens and that is plenty.
    The amount of light you need depends a lot on the conditions you are in. For example, I live in a rural area, and while I keep exterior lights on at dark a TLR-7A with its 500 lumen beam is a lot of light when used on my yard. On the other hand, a range we often shoot in has LED floodlights that give enough illumination to see the entire shooting bay, allowing one to see well enough for moving around and to see where people are. However, the targets at the end of the bay are rather poorly lit and especially with range props may end up in the shadows. While one can see fairly well in the provided light, actually getting a useable sight picture and seeing the target can be difficult at times especially with iron sights. In this environment that same 500 lumen light seems quite anemic when trying to light up a target.

(And if you combine pitch black darkness with a nice heavy thick fog, you get to experience the maximum amount of enjoyment at shooting in the dark... Especially if you try to shoot targets at any sort of distance. Sonuvabitch, I want some night vision gear for that shit. )
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    The amount of light you need depends a lot on the conditions you are in. For example, I live in a rural area, and while I keep exterior lights on at dark a TLR-7A with its 500 lumen beam is a lot of light when used on my yard. On the other hand, a range we often shoot in has LED floodlights that give enough illumination to see the entire shooting bay, allowing one to see well enough for moving around and to see where people are. However, the targets at the end of the bay are rather poorly lit and especially with range props may end up in the shadows. While one can see fairly well in the provided light, actually getting a useable sight picture and seeing the target can be difficult at times especially with iron sights. In this environment that same 500 lumen light seems quite anemic when trying to light up a target.
    (And if you combine pitch black darkness with a nice heavy thick fog, you get to experience the maximum amount of enjoyment at shooting in the dark... Especially if you try to shoot targets at any sort of distance. Sonuvabitch, I want some night vision gear for that shit. )
    Fortunately for me I haven't had to deal with any of your situations. The matches are in full dark except for individual flashlights and one bulb under a roof maybe 100ft away. Our house has plenty of night lights. Since all our HD guns have lasers and lights and my idpa gun has a laser light combined unit, I don't have a problem w/ light splashing back off gun or arms.

Site Supporter
    Interesting conversation about ammo and night matches. Heard a guy say that he shot a night match and some folks used the very high lumen lights but they were shooting rather smokey ammo. The lights lit up the clouds of smoke enough to obscure the targets significantly.

We have fire extinguishers around house but fleeing comes first. One interesting thing in our area is that the outside hoses are shut off to avoid pipe freezing. You would have to run into the basement to turn them on if you thought you were a fireman.

When we had a two story house, we had a deployable ladder, although two old folks trying that might be something to see.

When we moved I had to give away to nice extinguishers as movers wouldn't take them and the car already overloaded.

User Tag List