Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 100

Thread: Bed side gun

  1. #41
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Southwest Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    A shotgun.

    A 9mm vs. multiple bad guys = you’re dead.

    PS Weapon-mounted lights are a terrible idea, they give away your position and they also force you to point your gun at whatever you want illuminated. Could be your son or daughter.
    So you would rather not have a way to ensure that you have not mistaken your son or daughter for a burglar before you shoot?

    Any reasonable light will have more than enough spill to identify someone without pointing the gun and light directly at them.

    Unless you practice walking on rice paper, you are probably making noise, which will also give away your position.

  2. #42
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    70# Norwegian Elkhound, they bark at everything, fear nothing.
    +
    Pistol d’jour, recently it’s been my 10mm SR1911 with a Novak front night sight and a Powertac E5 handheld.
    I read somewhere that your pants are your primary “bug out” so yesterday’s pants with keys, wallet, spare ammo and holster always lay within reach of the launchpad.
    +
    21” Remington 870, XS front night sight, Olight Valkyrie Pro mounted on the 7 round magazine at 9:00, 6 rounds of Hornady 00 in the magazine, 4 more 00 and 2 Winchester slugs on a shell card. “Cruiser Ready” condition.

    FWIW, My nearest/only neighbor is over 100 yards away and I can only see the top of their roof due to terrain.

  3. #43
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TEXAS !
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    @krav51

    Who installed your safety, or did you do it yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by krav51 View Post
    https://tenring.com/

    Great work ,just inquire about parts availability. The supply of the safety components is erratic at times.
    While I’m not a fan of any of the available manual safeties for Glocks, I just wanted to say TenRing Precision has worked on several of my guns and they do excellent work.

  4. #44
    Vending Machine Operator
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. West
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    So you would rather not have a way to ensure that you have not mistaken your son or daughter for a burglar before you shoot?

    Any reasonable light will have more than enough spill to identify someone without pointing the gun and light directly at them.

    Unless you practice walking on rice paper, you are probably making noise, which will also give away your position.
    I think a lot of opinions are unfortunately formed by movies. Something we're all a little guilty of in various ways. The image of a pitch black night with two adversaries stalking one another in silence. The reality, as we've learned from studying real life situations, is that uses of lethal force are going to be quick, sloppy, and loud. While I prefer an offhand light, I fully agree that it's more than worth any sort of "tactical disadvantage" to avoid another tragic news story of a dad who shot his kid who was sneaking in. I'd honestly rather a bad guy take me out than be responsible for a bad shoot.

    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Whatever I’m taking to the range. Right now, I’m in a revolver phase for the weekly USPSA fun shoot, so it’s just a bare-bones DAO 64 K-frame, with 6 rounds of 135 GDHP +P and two extra speedloaders full of the same. I’d get kilt in da streetz for sure, if I was out in them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post

    Handheld lights, surefire with Malkoff heads—one with a NHshooter lanyard. There’s a phone and some hole-patching kit laying around the room too.

    Oh, and a tomahawk. I almost forgot about that… gotta have one of those at hand.



    This made me laugh because I also keep this awesome Cold Steel tanto my fiancee bought me last Christmas on one of the lower shelves of the night table. Odds of actual use? Basically 0. But it's rad.

    I also enjoy your setup because it shows we all (me too) overthink it. The fact of the matter is a revolver you practice and compete with would probably do just as well as all of our tacticool setups in 99% of situations.
    Business & Estate Attorney| Beretta, Glock & S&W Fan

  5. #45
    Slaughter Spherical Cows RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gotham Adjacent
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Has your Kimber been pretty reliable? What kind of round count do you have on it?

    There is something I like about the TLE guns, but I keep thinking "Kimber, don't do it". Would love to be wrong.
    Yes it's been reliable overall. Actual round count unknown it's an old PD trade-in. I have about 1000 rounds through it. Passes the 10-8 extractor test and my only reliability issues have been with my reloads that were too long on OAL. A quick run back through with the seating die to a length that matches an HST and that solved my problems.

    When I got it, I swapped all the springs out and I ditched the FLGR for a proper GI plug setup. I also replaced all the hex head fittings (grip screws, mag release lock) with appropriate slotted fittings, because hex head is a slight against Moses.

    Barrel fitment isn't amazing, it stands on the feet a bit more than it should, but I paid like $550 for the gun, so I'm sort of 'whatever'. I should fit another extractor to it to have a spare.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgivro View Post
    A shotgun.

    A 9mm vs. multiple bad guys = you’re dead.

    PS Weapon-mounted lights are a terrible idea, they give away your position and they also force you to point your gun at whatever you want illuminated. Could be your son or daughter.
    Such a tired and false argument against WML. These are no longer the old 90 lumen lights hose-clapped to ours barrels. Being smashed in the face with a Modlite OKW produces a wall of white light that will deny sight to anyone on the other end. Not to mention it gives the ability to determine that "bump in the night" is your son or daughter or some drug addled nudist with a hammer looking for Nancy.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

  7. #47
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Hk P-30L V1 lem, loaded chamber, attached Streamlight. Hand held light next to it. Behind door is a Stoeger 3000 12ga stoked with Federal buckshot. Chamber empty.
    I can't refute your argument because if I did, I would be parroting what I read on the internet. I'm old as dirt, have poor eyesight, and don't hear well. Before I shoot another person, I wish to verify that he's not the neighbor's stupid teenager, or the dude across the street who has developmental problems, or my alcoholic brother in law. Further, I have zero intent of searching my house. The police will do that for me. The HK lives in a neat range bag. This rig stays with me when in the den and accompanies me to the bedroom when I retire. I would use the weapon light in the den in the event that an intruder appeared. Safeguards would alert me if someone broke into my house after having gone to bed. I would shut and lock the steel bedroom door and then dial 911. Usually I have a handgun somewhere in my pants anyway. Did you know that I'm an expert? Well, I am. I ain't bragging but I bet I've shot more rocks, dirt clods, stumps, and tin cans than anybody here. My knowledge is pure and uncluttered. You see, I never have taken a training class.

  8. #48
    Site Supporter Oldherkpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Warren, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Whatever I’m taking to the range. Right now, I’m in a revolver phase for the weekly USPSA fun shoot, so it’s just a bare-bones DAO 64 K-frame, with 6 rounds of 135 GDHP +P and two extra speedloaders full of the same. I’d get kilt in da streetz for sure, if I was out in them.

    Handheld lights, surefire with Malkoff heads—one with a NHshooter lanyard. There’s a phone and some hole-patching kit laying around the room too.

    Oh, and a tomahawk. I almost forgot about that… gotta have one of those at hand.

    Well, as Martin Riggs pointed out, "A lot of old-timers use those."😁

  9. #49
    old & beat up Leroy Suggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Jackson county, Fl.
    In order of what I will reach for.

    1. 18" gauge with wml loaded with 6 FC 00.
    2. G48 147 HST in its' carry holster.
    3. G43 loaded with BH 115 Tac-XP +p in my pants pocket I pulled off.
    Last edited by Leroy Suggs; 11-17-2022 at 01:44 PM.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I think a lot of opinions are unfortunately formed by movies. Something we're all a little guilty of in various ways. The image of a pitch black night with two adversaries stalking one another in silence. The reality, as we've learned from studying real life situations, is that uses of lethal force are going to be quick, sloppy, and loud. While I prefer an offhand light, I fully agree that it's more than worth any sort of "tactical disadvantage" to avoid another tragic news story of a dad who shot his kid who was sneaking in. I'd honestly rather a bad guy take me out than be responsible for a bad shoot.



    This made me laugh because I also keep this awesome Cold Steel tanto my fiancee bought me last Christmas on one of the lower shelves of the night table. Odds of actual use? Basically 0. But it's rad.

    I also enjoy your setup because it shows we all (me too) overthink it. The fact of the matter is a revolver you practice and compete with would probably do just as well as all of our tacticool setups in 99% of situations.
    Hey why not!

    I came home one day many years ago to find an extremely pushy "salesman" supposedly selling home cleaning supplies in my garage, (the door was open) talking to my brother in law and trying his best to work his way into my house. Him and his crew had been in the area for a couple days and I had seen them earlier hitting up the gullible housewives in the neighborhood. They looked like they were casing homes to come back and burglarize.

    Long story short this super fast talking guy who was also doing the "God Loves You" routine kept saying he was just going to talk to the lady of the house and trying to go in through the garage. I had gone into the house and while I had my pistol on me I felt it might be a bit much, so I grabbed my lead filled sap.

    It was one I carried overseas when less lethal means were appropriate:



    I convinced him to not only get out of my garage, and off my property, but followed him a couple houses down the street. He started to go up to a friend/neighbor's house. He was another cop who was not home, and his wife was a stay-at-home mom that would be a total pushover and let the guy in, in a matter of seconds. I suggested that the guy find another neighborhood.

    So maybe one day your Cold Steel Tanto may come in handy. Not every problem requires shooting to solve.

    Heck those little Cold Steel Shovels are multi-tools as far as I am concerned!

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •