Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P365X Macro barrel length, why 3.1"?

Sig P365X Macro barrel length, why 3.1"?

I'm trying to understand why Sig went with a 3.1" barrel and a comp for a defensive pistol, instead of just a standard 4" barrel and no comp (or even their 3.7").

My Speer GD 124 runs at 1,150 fps out of my Glock 19's 4" barrel.

Speer makes a +P rated "Short Barrel" GD 124 that runs the same 1,150 fps out of a 3.5" test barrel.

So I'm trying to figure out what is the net gain with this short barrel/comp arrangement.

Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

My guess is that's what their marketing dept told them would sell best right now.

Maybe because they could introduce the Macro with a comp right away, not have to wait for a comped 3.7" slide? That way they could use the same 3.1" barrel as on the P365 / P365X (it is the same barrel, I assume?).

I had been hoping they would introduce for us .civ's a 3.7", non-comp Macro i.e. with the P365XL slide on top of a Macro grip. But of course I have the patience of a newt, so I ordered a P365XL X-change kit just to be able to get a slide. I hear tell of some LEOs here and elsewhere say that Sig has this configuration but only for law enforcement...

I have two Macros set up with OEM XL uppers (thanks RJ), and they shoot great with Gold Dot and practice ball.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    You want the real reason or the implied reason?

The real reason is gun companies exist to make money, not guns and comps are “hot” right now.

The intended /implied gain is the increased control /reduced shot to shot time offered by a comp. In this case, this style comp is a bit less effective than a traditional comp but the trade off is it will run reliably with a wider range of ammunition than a traditional comp.

While one could argue this comp is of minimal benefit, one could equally argue that the difference in terminal effect between a 3.1” barrel and a 3.7” barrel are so minimal as to be equally inconsequential.

The 365 series are modular handguns. To paraphrase Col. Kilgore “Air Cav = Air Mobile.”

SIG is selling MACRO grips and mags separately. Buy an XL, swap the grip and drive on.

Comparing 124+P Gold Dot in my Macro with an XL upper to a G19 with a Mayhem barrel and comp, the 19 is significantly softer shooting, so I see the benefit of the Macro upper. I am unwilling to trade that reduction in recoil for the degradation in accuracy with ball ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Comparing 124+P Gold Dot in my Macro with an XL upper to a G19 with a Mayhem barrel and comp, the 19 is significantly softer shooting, so I see the benefit of the Macro upper. I am unwilling to trade that reduction in recoil for the degradation in accuracy with ball ammo.
    So you're saying if one is going with a 365 over a 19, and is using 124 +P, then the Macro frame with a Macro comp top end is your preference over an XL top end because of recoil/muzzle rise reduction?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemonday View Post
    So you're saying if one is going with a 365 over a 19, and is using 124 +P, then the Macro frame with a Macro comp top end is your preference over an XL top end because of recoil/muzzle rise reduction?
    Sorry if I was unclear. I have no use for the Macro upper because it shoots ball ammo poorly compared to an XL upper. I would run the XL or a PMM on the Macro lower.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear. I have no use for the Macro upper because it shoots ball ammo poorly compared to an XL upper. I would run the XL or a PMM on the Macro lower.
    Got it! Thank you.

Site Supporter
    Just sayin...
    A PMM comped XL, IMHO any way,
    works pretty well.
    Doubt any problems with 8" plates at 30
    (At least with my sample of one)
    with a little more velocity and a little less
    recoil for an additional .5" length.
    Last edited by D-der; 11-15-2022 at 07:04 PM.

User Tag List