Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI - Primer Pocket Swager

That Lee thing looks pretty darn cool for $50!
    The other tools are cutters, conventional wisdom has always been that moving metal is better than removing metal. IME the cutters are also a drag to use, keeping things aligned, and making sure you are not loosening the hole instead of just chamfering it.
    The Lee looks like an adaptation how they do the swager in the APP, and I did a bunch of primer pockets in my APPs.
    Midway has it in stock for $40, that sounds like a smoking deal.
    Thanks for making me aware of that thing. I probably do not need it because I already dropped the bucks on the Dillon (I sold the two APPs I had) but good to know what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I just found that I have 150 rds of 300 BLK loaded in reformed .556 “LC” brass with staked/crimped primers.
    I just reloaded 50 of them, and opened the primer pockets using an almost-right-sized steel punch.
    I was able to open the pockets enough to seat primers, but it was a pain, and left me with a blister on my thumb. And I’m not sure it was done well enough to be consistently good on the next reloading on those cases.

Now I’m looking at reamers on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NOOQY4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    And

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RFBJ2B6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And this swager from Lee:
    https://leeprecision.com/ram-swage.html

I’ll probably just do the 150 with whatever I buy, but would like the capability to do small (50-100) lots in the future.

Thoughts?

The App is great for this, in fact this is more or less what it is made for. It takes a bit of fiddling to get setup, but once you do, you can easily swage a thousand or more pieces of brass in a day. I was cranking out 250 an hour with refiling the tubes being my biggest slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The App is great for this, in fact this is more or less what it is made for. It takes a bit of fiddling to get setup, but once you do, you can easily swage a thousand or more pieces of brass in a day. I was cranking out 250 an hour with refiling the tubes being my biggest slow down.
    Another plug for the Lee APP for decap and swage. Once you get a cheap ebay case feeder and work out the kinks it is the fastest thing i've used. The price is right too. I have the Dillon swager, the 3rd party swager for the 550 and the Lee APP. The APP is the clear winner.

I'm late to this convo... but have a few thoughts. IMO, the best option is a Dillon 1050 with built-in swaging. I have mine set up for 9mm, and don't change calibers. So, I need a way to swage 5.56 brass.

Reamers work ok if you are careful, but even then I bet you'll make some loose primer pockets and risk blown primers.

I like the little RCBS swager better than the Dillon unit.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List