Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Primer Pocket Swager

I sent about 3k LC 5.56mm cases out to be processed just so I didn't have to deal with swaging pockets or trimming huge quantities of brass. I've done those big lots before... and it's a huge time sink without an automated dedicated press for whatever caliber you are doing.

The down side is you have zero control over QC, and it's money burnt on cases you may lose/trash/ruin.

I have used a Super Swage before... they work, but you have to sort your cases by headstamp and adjust for each type, since all the case webs seem to be different sizes.

The press mounted RCBS swager also works, but is sorta a PITA to use. I have not used their Super Swage knockoff... reports are it's decent.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I have not used their Super Swage knockoff... reports are it's decent.
    Yeah. It is pretty much the same stuff.

I've never tried it but I wonder how well something like a Lee hand press with one of the ram swage kits installed would work. It would still be slow but at least you could sit and watch TV or whatever while swaging.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

There's just no getting around processing .mil brass being a P.I.T.A. You can go through some brass with a Dillon Super Swage if you use the rubber band trick. Basically this, I just use rubber bands.

Last edited by Spartan1980; 11-15-2022 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Embed

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    You can go through some brass with a Dillon Super Swage if you use the rubber band trick.
    I used a little piece of shock cord (some of that I cut out of pullovers so the barrel clamp doesn't get caught in re-holstering) and it worked great! I hung a towel from the joists and draped it in a bucket so the flipped cases hit it and fell into the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Swage adapter for the Dillon 550 or 650. No hold-down so it isn't too hard to pop a case up through the shell plate.
    I have one of these, I think for a 550, if somebody wants to try it I will make a smoking deal on it.
    PM if interested.

Site Supporter

Thanks!

Thank you all for the informative help. Learning has occurred.

I've never tried it but I wonder how well something like a Lee hand press with one of the ram swage kits installed would work. It would still be slow but at least you could sit and watch TV or whatever while swaging.
    Pretty sure you would need arms like Popeye to use a hand press. I farted around trying to figure out a way to mount the Dillon to a board that was attached to the armrests of a chair. Maybe if you had one of those chairs from a classroom with an integrated table it would work. In the end it is probably simpler to set a cheap TV on your workbench...

Dillon 1050 or 1100. Only makes sense if you have a fat wallet or will swage for friends, co-workers, etc. Fast and good.
    That would be a challenging ROI calculation just based on swaging!
    In my case I just wanted one anyway for doing 9mm, setting it up to size and swage all of the 223/5.56 in the house first was just a bonus that helped me rationalize buying something I wanted anyway. But it IS awesome, if you are inclined to want one anyway (I just sold a few safe queens to get the money).

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Pretty sure you would need arms like Popeye to use a hand press. I farted around trying to figure out a way to mount the Dillon to a board that was attached to the armrests of a chair. Maybe if you had one of those chairs from a classroom with an integrated table it would work. In the end it is probably simpler to set a cheap TV on your workbench...
    You could mount it on a long board that sets across both arms of a recliner. Using the spring/rubberband mod you could throw cases across the room to irritate the wife!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    You could mount it on a long board that sets across both arms of a recliner. Using the spring/rubberband mod you could throw cases across the room to irritate the wife!
    I tried it with a lawn chair, but I had the good sense to stay down in the basement!

Site Supporter
    I just found that I have 150 rds of 300 BLK loaded in reformed .556 “LC” brass with staked/crimped primers.
    I just reloaded 50 of them, and opened the primer pockets using an almost-right-sized steel punch.
    I was able to open the pockets enough to seat primers, but it was a pain, and left me with a blister on my thumb. And I’m not sure it was done well enough to be consistently good on the next reloading on those cases.

Now I’m looking at reamers on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NOOQY4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    And

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09RFBJ2B6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And this swager from Lee:
    https://leeprecision.com/ram-swage.html

I’ll probably just do the 150 with whatever I buy, but would like the capability to do small (50-100) lots in the future.

Thoughts?

User Tag List