Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver while running

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    My wife is an avid runner and prefers to run early in the morning. Over the years we have tried various options for a firearm and holster system she is willing to carry while she runs. To date this effort has been a complete failure, either due to the weight of the gun, the bulkiness/floppiness of the holster system, the unpleasantness to shoot, the manual of arms, or a combination of therein. The apparent increase in violent crime in our area combined with the recent high profile cases of women being assaulted while jogging had me revisit the issue with a S&W 43C. This gun checked almost all of the boxes but the trigger is just too heavy for her to operate, even in a "get off me" scenario. The only way she could pull the trigger was using both index fingers! I like the gun and will put it to good use.

It seems that lightening up the 43C trigger can affect ignition reliability so I'm not sure that is an option. Even if it is, I'm still not certain sure the trigger could be made light enough for her to operate it.

I fondled a .22 LCR in the store and while the trigger seemed to start lighter by the end of the stroke it seemed similar to the 43C.

She is comfortable shooting other guns at the range with lighter triggers but they are more bulky than she is willing to run with.

Any thoughts on something else we might try? Do .22 magnum revolvers require as stout of a mainspring for reliable ignition? I would like to stick with a revolver due to the more simple manual of arms but I am not opposed to other choices.
    Lots of caveats with this kind of thing, but here goes.

My wife will sometimes use an SR22 loaded with CCI Mini-Mags. Paraphrasing Mark Twain, "it might take the whole magazine to make a full dose for a dirtbag," but she can make a tighter, faster ten-round group up to 25 feet with that little plinker than anything else she has EVER shot. It fits her, and she can manipulate it.

I can't coerce her past a certain point, so I grit my teeth and keep that thing spotless inside and out.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I know this is a revolver thread but a Shield EZ in .380 Is my mom's walking gun, Shes pushing 80 too. She has a fanny pack that she wears. I don't know what brand but its pink with flowers on it. She used to have a J frame but had problems pulling the trigger. I have shot with her, and she has no trouble running the EZ.

.327 LCR?

My wife is an avid runner and prefers to run early in the morning. Over the years we have tried various options for a firearm and holster system she is willing to carry while she runs. To date this effort has been a complete failure, either due to the weight of the gun, the bulkiness/floppiness of the holster system, the unpleasantness to shoot, the manual of arms, or a combination of therein. The apparent increase in violent crime in our area combined with the recent high profile cases of women being assaulted while jogging had me revisit the issue with a S&W 43C. This gun checked almost all of the boxes but the trigger is just too heavy for her to operate, even in a "get off me" scenario. The only way she could pull the trigger was using both index fingers! I like the gun and will put it to good use.

It seems that lightening up the 43C trigger can affect ignition reliability so I'm not sure that is an option. Even if it is, I'm still not certain sure the trigger could be made light enough for her to operate it.

I fondled a .22 LCR in the store and while the trigger seemed to start lighter by the end of the stroke it seemed similar to the 43C.

She is comfortable shooting other guns at the range with lighter triggers but they are more bulky than she is willing to run with.

Any thoughts on something else we might try? Do .22 magnum revolvers require as stout of a mainspring for reliable ignition? I would like to stick with a revolver due to the more simple manual of arms but I am not opposed to other choices.
    Perhaps a .327 Federal LCR loaded with .32 S&W Long wadcutters? I've shot the .22 LCR and the trigger press is still pretty heavy.

Get a light weight 38 or 32 with low recoiling ammo….the 22 for a get off me gun is a horrible idea especially for a woman out running alone

Site Supporter
    I was thinking Shield EZ or .32 revolver as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    the 22 for a get off me gun is a horrible idea especially for a woman out running alone
    *citation needed

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    Perhaps a .327 Federal LCR loaded with .32 S&W Long wadcutters? I've shot the .22 LCR and the trigger press is still pretty heavy.

That's a pretty good idea.

My wife is an avid runner and prefers to run early in the morning.
    There is something appealing about running out of doors, but the Mrs. and I are urban people and, with undesirable traffic and even less desirable humans lounging about at all hours, my wife has chosen the treadmill. After a relatively brief transition period, she became perfectly happy with that approach.

Hope you find a solution that both you and your wife can live with.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Holy shit someone actually has a View

I actually have two of them!

I carry left pocket and the curved grip helps get a pocket draw lefty because it gives purchase away from the leg.

I also have a Taurus 380

And an 856

I sent in that Taurus 380 in for repair about a year ago and they said they couldn’t repair it so they offered a new one when they get more in… but crickets for now.
    Last edited by JCN; 11-15-2022 at 01:54 PM.

@Coal Train

Okay, maybe the stupidest idea ever…

Pepper spray plus an NAA Mini revolver?

It’s single action so it’s not going to be easy to deploy. But the trigger is light.

But as a noise making deterrent if we’re talking about 22LR.

User Tag List