Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver while running

Revolver while running

My wife is an avid runner and prefers to run early in the morning. Over the years we have tried various options for a firearm and holster system she is willing to carry while she runs. To date this effort has been a complete failure, either due to the weight of the gun, the bulkiness/floppiness of the holster system, the unpleasantness to shoot, the manual of arms, or a combination of therein. The apparent increase in violent crime in our area combined with the recent high profile cases of women being assaulted while jogging had me revisit the issue with a S&W 43C. This gun checked almost all of the boxes but the trigger is just too heavy for her to operate, even in a "get off me" scenario. The only way she could pull the trigger was using both index fingers! I like the gun and will put it to good use.

It seems that lightening up the 43C trigger can affect ignition reliability so I'm not sure that is an option. Even if it is, I'm still not certain sure the trigger could be made light enough for her to operate it.

I fondled a .22 LCR in the store and while the trigger seemed to start lighter by the end of the stroke it seemed similar to the 43C.

She is comfortable shooting other guns at the range with lighter triggers but they are more bulky than she is willing to run with.

Any thoughts on something else we might try? Do .22 magnum revolvers require as stout of a mainspring for reliable ignition? I would like to stick with a revolver due to the more simple manual of arms but I am not opposed to other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post

It seems that lightening up the 43C trigger can affect ignition reliability so I'm not sure that is an option. Even if it is, I'm still not certain sure the trigger could be made light enough for her to operate it.
    The 43C trigger responds well to an Apex kit so long as you put the extended firing pin in the gun

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    The 43C trigger responds well to an Apex kit so long as you put the extended firing pin in the gun
    This is good news as I have an extra Apex kit lying around. But will the extended firing pin in that kit work in a rimfire gun?

All the rimfire revolvers I have ever shot have had triggers that were considerably heavier than their centerfire counterparts. Personally I would opt for some very light recoiling .38 Special training ammo for her, rather than go the rimfire route. Something with a lighter projectile and lower velocity that will have minimal recoil. It is understandable that she does not want to shoot a 5 shot snubbie .38 with the ammo that is typically available, as the recoil can be quite objectionable. Maybe load some 125 grain loads at a sedate speed for training, then use standard wadcutters for carry purposes.

If .38 Short Colt brass would ever come back into stock on a regular basis, that would be the perfect solution.

How is she carrying the revolver now?

The only decent way I found to carry for me was either a small fanny pack, put on my side, or a Hill People Gear chest rig, configured a little lower on my torso.

I think the LCR would make a great running gun. The Ruger 22 revolvers have better triggers than Smith 22s.

How is she carrying? My wife and I both use hpg fanny packs to run.

38 With full wad cutters

Larger three finger type grip on the lightweight if feasible

Steel gun for practice with same grip

Hands can be strengthened

Focus on deployment under stress

A knife and classes might be better with Pom in hand while running

Move to a better area

Run with a dog or and a friend

Good luck!
    Last edited by Navin Johnson; 11-15-2022 at 10:59 AM.

This is good news as I have an extra Apex kit lying around. But will the extended firing pin in that kit work in a rimfire gun?
    Yes it will. I have an Apex firing pin in my 317

@Coal Train

What about one of the scandium J frames instead?

Name:  680B064F-0BAC-41BE-B804-9D35F4EF12BB.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  67.8 KB

Hornady makes a 38 special Critical Defense Lite ammo that’s like a 380 ACP weight and velocity.

It’s even milder to shoot than a Federal Wadcutter.

Not that I recommend this for her but a Taurus View is what I pocket carry due to size and weight.

Name:  35BC0DD2-1D84-489D-B9EF-121B3F7459BE.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  73.8 KB

She is comfortable shooting other guns at the range with lighter triggers but they are more bulky than she is willing to run with.
    This part worries me a bit. If crime against runners is increasing and it's a real concern, it might mean re-evaluating priorities or taking a harder look at how important it is.

A gun you can't fire is useless. But getting a gun you can fire on your person during a run may not be convenient, and may mean making some changes. If your wife thinks the risk assessment warrants a gun, then she may need to adjust her idea of what she is willing to carry.

Other mitigation options like changing time of runs, location of runs, running partners also could help. OC that is usable may be a better option than a firearm that isn't usable. If she is unwilling to change her expectations of carry, then it might be awhile before technology and improvement moves up to meet them.

Hopefully someone can help with a carry method/carry gun that gets a usable gun to be able to carry. Maybe the HPG stuff that seems popular is viable for her.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cory; 11-15-2022 at 11:22 AM.

Holy shit someone actually has a View

User Tag List