Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal .30 Super Carry 100gr HST in Vyse Ballistics Gel.

Federal .30 Super Carry 100gr HST in Vyse Ballistics Gel.

Test Gun: Smith & Wesson Shield Plus.
    Barrel length: 3.1 inches.
    Ammunition: Federal .30 Super Carry 100gr HST (P30HST1S)
    Test media: 10% Vyse Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 1160fps
    BB Calibration two shots: 3.6 inches, 580fps and 3.6 inches, 583fps.

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/1...allistics-gel/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Excellent test, thank you for conducting it.

Thats very solid performance for a 3.1" barrel.

They might have something here with 30SC, especially if every projectile / load is capable of similar performance from a 3.1".

This could be one of the first calibers where theres no need to get special 'short barrel' defensive ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Excellent test, thank you for conducting it.

Thats very solid performance for a 3.1" barrel.

They might have something here with 30SC, especially if every projectile / load is capable of similar performance from a 3.1".

This could be one of the first calibers where theres no need to get special 'short barrel' defensive ammo.
    Indeed. I wonder how that ammunition performs from a 5" barrel Nighthawk.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

@5pins, how’s the recoil? Snappy?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Indeed. I wonder how that ammunition performs from a 5" barrel Nighthawk.
    I'm curious as well. Given how much expansion 5pins got with the first shot impacting at 1200fps, I wonder how a ~1275fps will perform.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @5pins, how’s the recoil? Snappy?
    Very similar to 9mm maybe a little less snappy maybe a little less recoil but it's subjective.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I tend to agree with @DocGKR that unless FBI spec 10% organic ordnance gel is used, the results are not valid (when it comes to gel testing).

Can’t speak for everywhere but where I work, .30 SC and the guns chambered in it have been a complete failure sales-wise. Most people would just as soon go to a 9mm.

There may be no need to buy specifically short barrel ammo for .30SC, but price and availability make that moot.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I tend to agree with @DocGKR that unless FBI spec 10% organic ordnance gel is used, the results are not valid (when it comes to gel testing).

Can’t speak for everywhere but where I work, .30 SC and the guns chambered in it have been a complete failure sales-wise. Most people would just as soon go to a 9mm.

There may be no need to buy specifically short barrel ammo for .30SC, but price and availability make that moot.
    The clear gel test I have seen it getting around 18 inches. This really shows the discrepancy of clear gel and 250A gel when I'm getting closer to the 13-to-15-inch range.

Ammo prices are dropping down to the 9mm level, probably because it's not selling well. AimSurplus has FMJ at around $15 a box now. Midway has HST's and Gold Dots at around the $15 mark also.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post

The brick and mortar stores around here have several pistols, each, sitting on a shelf. 30SC ammo is at least a third higher than 9mm. In Sportsman Warehouse, .45ACP Golddots was cheaper than the .30 HSTs. last week. There are not enough pluses to justify the cost of adding a new caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    The brick and mortar stores around here have several pistols, each, sitting on a shelf. 30SC ammo is at least a third higher than 9mm. In Sportsman Warehouse, .45ACP Golddots was cheaper than the .30 HSTs. last week. There are not enough pluses to justify the cost of adding a new caliber.
    When .30 SC and the Shield EZ and Plus chambered for it came out early this year, our distributor called us and asked if we wanted to buy some. We said only if ammo came with it, so they sent 3 guns, 10 fifty round boxes of AE FMJ, and 10 twenty round boxes of Federal HST. Despite repeatedly showing them and even putting up info-graphs and advertisements in the cases about the cartridge and guns (along with brochures from S&W), no one has been remotely interested besides an old man who had never bought a gun before, and he went with a 9mm EZ.

I don’t understand why Federal is devoting resources to a brand new caliber in a time like this. It’s also a rather high pressure cartridge and I wonder how the pistols chambered in it hold up over the long term, especially if shot a lot.

User Tag List