Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pump Shotgun Weapon Lights: I hate them all

I see a lot of folks mounting cantilevered light mounts to plastic MagPul MLOK slots; not just on pumps but Aridus 1301s, ARs etc. Am I the only one who has suffered from the plastic slots deforming under recoil/typical flat range bumps and jolts? Especially with cantilevered mounts?

I have been torquing them to 15 inch pounds per MadPul's instructions.

I have settled on using the Kinetic Development Group Kinect QD MLOK mounts and sticking with standard mounts that are not cantilevered. So far it is workable but not ideal.

I for one would gladly pay extra for metal reinforced MLOK slots..

Quote Originally Posted by LukeNCMX View Post
    I for one would gladly pay extra for metal reinforced MLOK slots..
    Absolutely! While I haven't had a slot fail, it is a concern. I did a podcast with one of the shotgun accessory manufacturers who says he has something in development to address that & reinforce the slot mounts. Waiting.

The cantilever mount appears to larger, wider mounting nuts on the backside.

Elsewhere on the site, @RevolverRob dropped a link to this vendor:

https://wooxstore.com/

Existing stuff for Mossy pumps, with 870 gear supposed to be forthcoming.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Short update. This is where I currently am. A Magpul forend, their cantilever MLok->PIC and a TLR1.

Not perfect, but it works for my needs inside the house and I was able to get this thing far enough forward that I don't slam into it under recoil. I can run it with my index finger or thumb.

Honestly, this format or similar pistol light with a remote switch may turn out to be the best version of things.

Name:  70975936341__7C481D72-6C88-4CFD-B025-A7398F50299F.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  10.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Short update. This is where I currently am. A Magpul forend, their cantilever MLok->PIC and a TLR1.

Not perfect, but it works for my needs inside the house and I was able to get this thing far enough forward that I don't slam into it under recoil. I can run it with my index finger or thumb.

Honestly, this format or similar pistol light with a remote switch may turn out to be the best version of things.

I’d add a pressure switch on your preferred side. As is, you have to run it ON or OFF. You really can’t fire the shotgun with your thumb actuating the light. Very painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I’d add a pressure switch on your preferred side. As is, you have to run it ON or OFF. You really can’t fire the shotgun with your thumb actuating the light. Very painful.
    You are correct Dave. With the thumb I go off to on, leaving the thumb in place is quite painful. With my index finger, I cross over to the right hand paddle (I'm a righty, so left index finger) and run the light from there. Which means I can use momentary for searching with the muzzle up and light bouncing off the ceiling/walls. The process of bringing the muzzle down, my finger leaves the light.

But I am with you, I think a remote switch is in order.

This is still not an optimal setup, but it accomplishes two main things. First, getting the light clear of the sides of the gun, so a sling doesn't get hung up on it. Second, reducing shadowing over the sights, with the light being high alongside the barrel.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    I have a TLR-1 on the right side of my 870P's Magpul forend because I use the 6:00 QD sling swivel on the factory extension clamp. Some years back I discovered that using the light on the left side - in conjunction with my left thumb - could lead to serious pain and a rapid recitation of common expletives. So far, using my left forefinger has not resulted in a hopping, hollering handful of regret.

I dislike most pressure switches, but if I do end up getting a metaphorical 2x4 upside the head WRT my setup, I might be persuaded.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Interesting.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1431176
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I've always liked surefire but after breaking my last silicon wedding ring I went back to a metal one. That's pretty uncomfortable.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Site Supporter
    Wrong forum.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

User Tag List