Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump Shotgun Weapon Lights: I hate them all

I am not smart enough to pump a shotgun and operate a momentary light with an end cap activation button.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not smart enough to pump a shotgun and operate a momentary light with an end cap activation button.
    Me neither.

I'm working on an idea for switching that would not be a button. And momentary might not even be an option integrated into the system. Unless we have a compelling reason to think momentary is especially useful on a shotgun vs. on-off.

I recently got the Magpul MLOK Offset Light/Optic Mount and so far I really like it. It's up out of the way of my thumb, ambidextrous-ish in activation and still out of the sight line. I really would like to replace the light with a scout type light but I don't want to spend that much money for what would survive the 870 and I have 2 ARs and a Ruger Charger that need lights as well.

Name:  870 light 01.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  870 light 02.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  22.2 KB
    Name:  870 light 03.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  870 light 04.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  20.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A few companies have tried RF signaling for these things. Which I think is the only reliable method - because Bluetooth isn't reliable in this realm. Given the general proximity of the light to the remote, RF should be reliable and instantaneous. Unless of course the battery is dead. In a home defense context I think this works. I wonder if in a LE/MIL context the number of other RF frequencies in use might cause interference?

I've thought A LOT about exactly what you propose.
    I'm fairly certain that using RF would ensure the product isn't ever looked at by institutional users. At least, the ones that matter.

We try to avoid and/or minimize the use of devices which makes us our own trigger-man for IEDs, and that's not even getting into the EW and ISR environment where a professional user would be the equivalent of an emergency rescue flare with the opposition employing RF detection.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Simple mount that works sufficiently. I’d like to find a smaller light but I’m cheap, and the 6P with upgrade does what I need it to do. Perfection would be a smaller profile light tucked in another 3/8”-1/2”. My only complaint with this is that it can get hung up (to the point of needing a good tug) in the scabbard it usually rides in. These are older pics when I originally tossed it together. I’ve since put a few miles on it, worked out the issue of the mount moving during recoil, and hit all the screws with red loctite. Its a truck and cabin tool.

Name:  938CF082-D556-4B31-9F14-A9A3512FB664.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  35454CAF-0064-4925-A37D-83B5F92D9644.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  45.8 KB
    Last edited by entropy; 11-28-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Simple mount that works sufficiently. I’d like to find a smaller light but I’m cheap, and the 6P with upgrade does what I need it to do. Perfection would be a smaller profile light tucked in another 3/8”-1/2”. My only complaint with this is that it can get hung up (to the point of needing a good tug) in the scabbard it usually rides in. These are older pics when I originally tossed it together. I’ve since put a few miles on it, worked out the issue of the mount moving during recoil, and hit all the screws with red loctite. Its a truck and cabin tool.

Name:  938CF082-D556-4B31-9F14-A9A3512FB664.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  35454CAF-0064-4925-A37D-83B5F92D9644.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  45.8 KB
    Which mount I'd that? I like simple.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Even with the now-pathetic incandescent light, the original SureFire was the best. It still needed needed skateboard tape to make it grip-able. Being able to hold on to the forearm goes a long way towards avoiding knuckle busting.

As far as modern SureFires, I don't need to "program" my shotgun light with different light levels and whatnot. I need momentary and on/off. That's it. If I was smart enough to do complex light operations under stress, I wouldn't rely on a troglodyte boomshucker in the first place.

I haven't had any trouble at all doing push/pull with the Streamlight but I agree the ergos of that battery-pack grip aren't ideal. There's also the flimsy battery cap and the general "not sure if anyone has really done a hard use test on this" thing. Since pumps aren't really the hotness these days, it seems to be a product that missed its opportunity window.

And SureFire... $600 for a light to go on an 870? Put that on a police trade-in and you've tripled it's value. Talk about putting a $20 saddle on a $10 horse.

At the moment, I have an extra SureFire X300 mounted on a Magpul forearm that I just need to install. It's not elegant but it's simple and affordable.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Which mount I'd that? I like simple.

Amazon. Search “monstrum”. It’s lasted prolly three years and at least 4+ cases of shells at this point. Works for my needs.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Yep, the older 618 is my favorite (by a wide margin) of any shotgun light I've used (and I probably T&E'd all of them). If I were looking for another shotgun light I'd find one on ebay, upgrade the head, and put it to work.
    This!

I have a 618 and never had any issues with smashing my index finger while shooting .

Here’s my solution. It does require an optic on a 1.93” mount to clear the light. Link for pic rail here:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOUG238

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List