Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LAW releases ARIC (finally)

Anyone have updates on these? I'm interested in a vague way, but not if it's a problem waiting to happen.

Any clue how well this will work with something like an MCX or PSA JAKL lower? There are significantly sexier/lighter options when a buffer is no longer needed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    Any clue how well this will work with something like an MCX or PSA JAKL lower? There are significantly sexier/lighter options when a buffer is no longer needed.
    See post #8 in this thread.

any feedback after more round fired? I am especially interested in 300 BLK suppressed use. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    any feedback after more round fired? I am especially interested in 300 BLK suppressed use. Thanks!
    Here’s what I’ve observed after roughly 150 rds with an ARIC-M (the variant for suppressed use) in an 8” Aero 300 BLK SBR with a SF SOCOM 7.62 MINI suppressor.

With ARIC-M installed:
    Supersonic:
    110 gr TAC-TX - full functionality suppressed and unsuppressed
    110 gr V-MAX - occasional failures to lock back unsuppressed (these are my reloads using 19.6 gr of H110, making 2200 fps)
    147 gr Stryker - full functionality
    Subsonic suppressed:
    190 gr SUB-X RELOADS w/ 12.1 gr AA 1680 locks back 40%
    220 gr RNSP - occasional failures to lock back
    200 gr WIN SUB - will not lock back empty

As a useful point of reference, prior to the ARIC-M installation, the gun was configured with a LAW folder, H3 buffer (5.4 oz), and a Sprinco Red (+25%) buffer spring. The behavior with the ARIC-M is almost identical. The only difference was that the two loads that had “occasional failures to lock back” with the ARIC-M consistently locked back on empty mags with the H3/Red spring setup.

TLDR: the ARIC-M in a 300 BLK acts like a very heavy buffer weight (5.4 oz + 2 oz for LAW extension) with a very strong buffer spring.
    Works fine for supersonic loads, and will cycle subsonic with a suppressor, but not consistently lock back on empty.

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! I don't have one yet, but Mr. Boland advised that for supers and suppressed subs use, the Aric-C is recommended.
    I hope I am allowed to quote him:

There is very little standardization for .300Blk, in both ammunition and guns.

Some guns with standard carriers won’t run .300 Subs unsuppressed, and some will, some are solely ported for SuperSonics as well.

Also we’ve seen significant variance in .300 Blk ammo.

Several guns will run the M with sub and supers, but not all.

So at this point we generally suggest the C carrier as we haven’t seen any over speed issues with it with super sonic suppressed guns and it will run subs suppressed as well (and may or may not run subs unsuppressed depending on barrel).

Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D Law Tactical LLC

How are these working out?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    How are these working out?
    I have 197 rds through an ARIC-M (the one originally recommended for suppressed use) on an Aero 8” 300 BLK.
    Same reliability results as I posted above about 50 rounds ago.

In summary, I’m satisfied enough to use it for a travel bag gun with 110 TAC-TX supersonic.
    In a pinch, I’d be willing to use it with my subsonic hand loads suppressed, with the knowledge that I might not know when I run dry until the “click”.

I’m impressed, and would be curious to experiment with the ARIC-C with the same loads, but not enough to buy one.

I have a pinned and welded 14.5” 5.56 with a LAW folder that can serve as a bag transportable gun. Adding the ability to fire folded is intriguing, but oy vey that’s a lot of money for a BCG. Still tempted.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter

ARIC-M NOT recommend for 300BLK

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I have 197 rds through an ARIC-M (the one originally recommended for suppressed use) on an Aero 8” 300 BLK.
    Same reliability results as I posted above about 50 rounds ago.

In summary, I’m satisfied enough to use it for a travel bag gun with 110 TAC-TX supersonic.
    In a pinch, I’d be willing to use it with my subsonic hand loads suppressed, with the knowledge that I might not know when I run dry until the “click”.

I’m impressed, and would be curious to experiment with the ARIC-C with the same loads, but not enough to buy one.
    Quoting myself to update my ARIC-M experience….
    I’ve had some misfeeds (cartridge angled up and stuck by BCG). Mostly with 110 V-MAX reloads and cheap Rollermax mags from Midway.
    I’ve been blaming the magazines. So today I brought Lancer 20 rd mags (my usual 300 BLK mags) to sort it out. I shot unsuppressed, as I imagine that in a vehicle with the stock folded (my imagined use case), I wouldn’t be mounting a suppressor to minimize overall length.
    Shooting 110 V-MAX, 9 rounds into my drills, I had the misfeed described above. Well, I shoot V-MAX for practice because it’s cheaper. So I switched over to 110 TAC-TX reloads (what I’d use in a real defensive situation). I got through about 60 rounds before I got a “click”. Checking it, I had an empty chamber. Chambered a round, pressed on and finished my session (about 9 more rounds).

I purchased the ARIC-M (intended for primarily suppressed work) based on the violent cycling an notable recoil I experienced with the Aero 8” uppers before I increased buffer weight and spring stiffness using conventional BCGs. I’d assumed that the ARIC-M would have stiffer springs, which is what I thought I wanted. Well, last week I found an American Rifleman (or some NRA publication) review that said that the ARIC-M had the same springs, but a different GAS KEY than the ARIC-C. So now I’m thinking that, when unsuppressed, the ARIC-M is venturing gas, causing it to act “undergassed”, even with the extra “oomph” of high-velocity 300 BLK rounds.
    Maybe the ARIC-C would work correctly. I don’t think I’m willing to pony up the $389 to find out.

My notes now say:

With ARIC-M installed:
    - suppressed - occasional failures to lock back (WTFO?)
    110 gr TAC-TX - occasional misdeeds
    110 gr V-MAX - occasional misfeeds and failures to lock back
    125 gr reloads - occasional misdeeds and failures to lock back

I’m thinking I’m going to chalk this up as an expensive, failed experiment.
    Not just the price of the ARIC, but the 652 rounds of ammo I used breaking it in and trying to validate reliability.
    The ability to fire w/ stock folded exacts too high a price in reliability.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 01-18-2024 at 07:32 PM.

User Tag List