Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A few weeks living with Apple Macs

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Ubuntu has Gnome 3 and it's awful compared to Gnome 2. I can't stand it. I've been running Linux on the desktop since Redhat 6 (not to be confused with RHEL). My current favorite is SuSe.
    Ubuntu has Unity which is its own DE. Gnome 3 is different; it's currently the default DE on Fedora.

Personally, I vastly prefer Unity over Mountain Lion.

Mountain Lion seems to be Apple's Vista.
    Lucky me I arrived on the Mac scene just in time.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    Ubuntu has Unity which is its own DE. Gnome 3 is different; it's currently the default DE on Fedora.

Personally, I vastly prefer Unity over Mountain Lion.
    Right. I forgot about Unity. Can't stand that either.
    #RESIST

I'm contemplating jumping on the Mac wagon as well. I need a new laptop and the wife and I both have iPhones, an iPad and I'm tired of the Windows OS and don't like the looks of Windows 8.

To the uninitiated what are the biggest differences between the Air and Pro? What are the differences I need to be aware of and what's marketing and fluff? Is the Pro worth the extra bucks for the long term?

This thread really reminds me how technologically unconnected I am. I had no idea there were so many pet operating systems out there. I still use my 2009 vintage Blackberry Tour as well, and are not really linked/synched/whatever with other machines. I just bought it so I could have decompression planning software for diving when I'm away from my laptop.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I'm contemplating jumping on the Mac wagon as well. I need a new laptop and the wife and I both have iPhones, an iPad and I'm tired of the Windows OS and don't like the looks of Windows 8.

To the uninitiated what are the biggest differences between the Air and Pro? What are the differences I need to be aware of and what's marketing and fluff? Is the Pro worth the extra bucks for the long term?
    The 13" Retina 8GB/256g hd is the best deal going right now. http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/##

Keep in mind that the Pros are nearly as light as the Airs. http://www.briangardner.com/macbook-pro-retina-display/
    #RESIST

The 13" Retina 8GB/256g hd is the best deal going right now. http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/##

Keep in mind that the Pros are nearly as light as the Airs. http://www.briangardner.com/macbook-pro-retina-display/

I gotta admit that I'm still pretty impressed with the 11" Air that you talked me into a few months ago....
    I thought I was going to really hate the 11" screen, but I've found that I almost don't want anything bigger (well, a 13" with a Retina display would be nice...)

Regarding another comment that was made...
    I'm running Mountain Lion OS on this MacBook Air, and honestly, I'm not sure how it compares to Vista in any way. I switched to this laptop from a Vista machine, and there is no comparison, in my opinion. Of course, I don't know squat about computers, so I might just be blowing smoke, but I'm very satisfied with the performance of the Mountain Lion OS.

My MBA 13" has worked out great for my purposes.
    Internet surfing
    Keynote presentations
    LibreOffice for the occasional spreadsheet or document
    iTunes/DoubleTwist for my workout tunes sync to Android.
    Still wish there was an easy way to USB sync files from my Galaxy S3 droid to the Mac.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Good stuff. Thanks!

Really trying to determine if I need the 15" or if the 13" will suffice. Might be time to wing by the Apple store today and play with them.

Thanks for your input too Jody.

ETA - When will Apple bring out the new machines? Worth waiting for or just punch the button now?

My 8GB 256 SSD, 13" Air is connected to a 27" monitor at the house so I don't miss the extra screen my previous 15" had.
    The 13" is also a great size when traveling.
    I just buy what I want when I want it. You'll drive yourself crazy if you're always chasing the latest release.

I am waiting on the 2nd generation Microsoft Surface Pro to come out.
    It should be exactly what I want/need in a Win8 work machine.

User Tag List