Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make dummy rounds out of live rounds?

How to make dummy rounds out of live rounds?

Without firing them first, that is.
    I bought a couple of hundred rounds of 300 blk ammo from Freedom Munitions and it turned out to be trash. I am thinking of making dummy rounds out of them to keep my AR mags appropriately weighted. I figure I need to get the primers and powder out. How can I do it without removing bullets?
    No reloading experience or tools here.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Without firing them first, that is.
    I bought a couple of hundred rounds of 300 blk ammo from Freedom Munitions and it turned out to be trash. I am thinking of making dummy rounds out of them to keep my AR mags appropriately weighted. I figure I need to get the primers and powder out. How can I do it without removing bullets?
    No reloading experience or tools here.
    Why not use an inertia puller and take the bullets out, dump powder and push primers out.

https://www.scheels.com/p/rcbs-powr-...8aAtafEALw_wcB

Name:  4F2F2E6B-3AED-4F7B-B815-1D48D1005B53.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  21.1 KB

If you want just weight in a mag, get tungsten putty and pull the mag spring.

There are also Rogers tap rack top inserts so you can reset trigger.

I’ve always heard WD40 and probably other lubricants can “kill” the primer. I’m not sure how you’d get the primer out after that…
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Why not use an inertia puller and take the bullets out...
    That will require putting bullets back in, crimping them back, etc. No time or tools for that. I was thinking of figuring out how to kill the primers without igniting the powder, plucking them out, and draining powder through the hole.

That will require putting bullets back in, crimping them back, etc. No time or tools for that. I was thinking of figuring out how to kill the primers without igniting the powder, plucking them out, and draining powder through the hole.
    As my late father used to say when I was contemplating a foolish thing- "I'd kind of like to see that." It was the smirk that always gave him away.😏

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    As my late father used to say when I was contemplating a foolish thing- "I'd kind of like to see that." It was the smirk that always gave him away.😏
    If I decided to do something spectacular, I'll make sure to put on video.

Depending on the powder, it may not easily flow out of the flash hole... assuming there was a safe way to pluck live primers out (there really isn't). WD-40/oil may or may not kill the primers. Modern primers are pretty resistant to contamination when seated in a casing. There really isn't a great way to turn live ammo into dummies. If I had .300 BO dies... I'd offer to pull down some rounds, punch primers out, and re-seat/crimp the bullets for you. Alas, I've yet to be bitten by the .300 BO bug.

ETA: How many rounds worth of dummies are you wanting to make? All 200, or a handfull?

It’s actually not a big deal. You can press them in by hand and use pliers or glue. The actual dummy rounds I buy often fall apart with continued use and I press them back in.

You don’t need to crimp because you’re not firing or even chambering them, correct?

Because having a primer that may or may not be deactivated in the chamber with powder isn’t a great idea.

It’s kind of baffling to me that you “don’t have time” and are looking to make a dummy out of these. @HCM

You know what I’ve done in that situation that takes ZERO time?

I put the cartridges backwards in the magazine.

Same weight. And no risk of bang.

Top off with a Rogers racking aid and a chamber flag.

What's so bad about the ammo?

And I don't think there's a safe way to do what you propose. At some time, you're going to get an unexpected bang.

Kind of reminds me of the time I tried to seat the primers deeper in some factory ammo.

Probably 50 or so.

This isn't a huge issue. I presume I can try judt shooting them, for every one in 3-5 rounds malfunction clearance practice. And learning how to get popped primers out of lower.
    @SecondsCount has offered some help, he is an experienced reloader.

User Tag List