Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mossberg 590S Shockwave w 8 pellet OO flightcontrol & Crimson Trace?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I agree about the birdshead grip whippet setup in general, was just thinking about ease of low profile & more secure transport when using our fuel efficient hatchback vs our more comfortable SUV. With the birdshead grip on the 18.5" barrel I can fit it even in a case under load bearing floor of the hatchback, and could install plywood cover or such that would block access to that even if windows broken on the car. The hatch would have to be opened to get to the storage area.

But would still be able to switch to regular stock when planning to use it at destination, and while I could just remove regular stock from conventional stocked gun for ease of transport until I arrived at destination where planning on using it. I thought with the Shockwave with 8 pellet Flight Control load or Federal Mini slugs it would useful at night during the travel unlike a stockless gun.

Anything different from Winchester 1300 or Remington 870/11-87 to be aware of with Mossberg pumps? I know the safety, part of reason I'm looking at Mossberg line with age etc I think the thumb operated safety will be smoother for me to operate than the crossbolt safety on my 11-87's or my Dad's old 870 I'll probably inherit someday.

IIRC Chuck Haggard likes the 500 and/or 590 line so don't have any concern about Mossberg but lack experience with it.
    In your use-case, I'd go with the 18.5" barrel and use these:

https://www.mossberg.com/flex-conver...uge-96026.html

https://www.mossberg.com/flex-standa...lop-95226.html
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I agree. It used to be if you wanted a take down shotgun, you had to deal with a finicky mechanism that split the gun at the barrel and mag tube junction. I think the flex system looks perfect.

The only problem is, I haven’t been able to find the standalone conversion kit in stock since before the pandemic.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Yeah that looks really interesting and an even better fit for my use case, I'd never heard of that kit before.

Wonder if that's a modern adaption of older takedown system?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    With the various conversations about Cheek weld guns and Federal's LE133 Low Recoil 8 Pellet OO Flight Control load I've been thinking about the Whippet configuration in a much different light than the past.

Specially with the 18.5" barreled version of the Shockwave, since if I understand correctly there are no issues with switching between the birdshead stock and conventional stock, adding the Crimson Trace Laser Saddle provides more flexibility for aiming safely

Am I the only one thinking about this?
    I have a 14" Shockwave with a CT laser on it.

I can use it. It's about twice as slow at everything as having an actual stock and sights, but I can use it.

I don't use it much because I already have enough problems in my shoulders, hands, and elbows due to life's wear and tear without heaping the consequences of lots of stockless shotgunning on top of them. On the occasion where I feel the need for a low profile upgrade to my carried handgun when travelling I've been known to take my Shockwave with me. Because even at half my usual speed with a shotgun I'm still at a significant advantage over just my pistol.

Lasers on long guns...or whatever we want to call these things...are not as automatic as you might think. We can use a long gun quickly and efficiently because we're using the stock to align our eye and the sighting system of the gun in a consistent fashion. That's not happening as readily using the laser because the aiming reference is remote. If I bring the gun to my eye so I can find the laser I can bring the gun to my eye to find an optic.

The "cheek gun" concept is essentially trying to replicate that specific benefit of a stock. If you "cheek" the gun you'll find the laser on target pretty readily.

...but you can also use an optic mounted on top of the gun that way.

FFC doesn't generally care what length barrel you shoot it out of. It patterns brilliantly out of my Shockwave.

I don't see the point in going for an 18" barrel when you can just get the 14" version. If length is the issue, get it shorter on both ends not just the handling one. Installing and removing the stock on a shotgun repeatedly is kind of a pain in the ass.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 11-14-2022 at 09:35 AM.
    3/15/2016

@03RN What loads where you using from the car videos?

Do you have any experience with heavy loads in 4" N frames? Like Buffalo Bore or Federal Cast Core or similar handloads, if so how does that compare to Shockwave with loads you used from car?

I've got experience shooting 300 hardcast loads from my 4" S&W 629, and know from that experience that technique and regular practice make big difference in pain vs lack of pain.
    The car videos had light birdshot.

I'm not sure it's very comparable to magnum handguns. Less blast, using 2 hands at 2 points of contacts.

I'm looking at a tidy little year end bonus and unless something emergent comes up, a 14" Shockwave-S is happening in my world. I'm a yuge 12 gauge fan and shorty shotties make my heart beat a little faster.

Years ago, I put 4 quick rounds through a friend's genuine Witness Protection, using a stance much like @03RN, I bounced the empty coffee can with every shot. As I handed it back, he said he was leaving it to me in his will since no one else had ever run that way, everyone else had fired it from the hip with the attendant results. What optic are you running and how is it mounted?

Speaking of @RustyCrusty, his video of the Federal Shorty shells really has me licking my chops:

Last edited by Gun Mutt; 12-10-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Mr. Bolke is a fan of the 18” birdshead grip build because it allows 50 state travel with a familiar pump shotgun setup that is also as short as *legally* possible.

There’s a few extreme close quarters techniques I only cover in class that are more difficult to manage with a stock that can still be used with the 18” Birdshead. Some maneuverability is sacrificed with the added four inches over the shockwave, but not all of it. For those that travel much with the gun and those living under more tyrannical gun laws, the juice may be worth the squeeze.

Remember that the Birdshead equipped 18” 590 is still 2” shorter than the SBS or braced Shockwave…
    Paying $200 and a years time gets you *less* mobility added than simply swapping to a Birdshead grip

User Tag List