Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK45c or HK45 Full Size?

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I carried and shot a TDA 45c with the safety/decocker when I was shooting 1911s a lot. I loved the 45c and got really good with it. I bought a 45c LEM and just couldn't get used to that trigger. I sold it and kept the TDA pistol. I had a full-size HK45 for a short time. For a concealed carry pistol it was a lot to lug around. The perceived recoil was lower and the reloads were faster though.

Buy one of each and enjoy the journey. It's just money. Plus, in the first year, you'll spend way more on ammo than the cost of the pistols.
    With my 45c TDA with the lever, I ride my thumb over the safety like a 1911 or USP. I found that after 250 rounds or so, the back of the lever would abuse the knuckle of my thumb to bleed. This doesn’t happen on the USP. That’s partly why LEM appeals to me, along with being more striker fired like. I think the increased size of an HK45 FS would probably negate the thumb bleeding issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    With my 45c TDA with the lever, I ride my thumb over the safety like a 1911 or USP. I found that after 250 rounds or so, the back of the lever would abuse the knuckle of my thumb to bleed. This doesn’t happen on the USP. That’s partly why LEM appeals to me, along with being more striker fired like. I think the increased size of an HK45 FS would probably negate the thumb bleeding issue.
    The safety is in a bad spot for prolonged shooting sessions. I would occasionally unintentionally decock the pistol too. I love the LEM concept. I know when Todd did his long-term test of the HK45 LEM he was able to dial the trigger in.

I still go back and read his testing journal from time to time https://pistol-training.com/hk45-end...hirty-seven-2/
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Man, you remind me of me. Lots of firearm platforms to choose from. Forward thinking, not only for the short run, but the long run too. And each pistol platform has its pluses and minuses. I just ordered a Beretta 92A1 after days of agonizing about it. Too many thoughts on that 92A1. I finally just decided to buy it, as I already have an M9 commercial. So I'm familiar with platform. Just wanted a rail, so I bought the rail, and what do ya know, the whole pistol came with it....lol.

Good luck in your decision-making. In the end, you'll just have to make a decision and see how it works out. If it doesn't, move on to the next pistol.

I did buy a Ruger GP100 .357 about 6 months ago.
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks like this lol. I don’t expect the worst to happen, but I’d rather be a step ahead and already have what I would need for any contingency should the rhetoric of top officials eventually become reality. So I like the idea of an 8 round, ultra reliable .45, but the full size HK45 with 10 round seems like a much better choice from a shooting standpoint. Still only holds 10 rounds for ban areas of the country.

Being a step ahead

Being a step ahead is a great place to be. I remember seeing folks at the local ammo stores who just wanted to buy a box of ammo during our last .22 shortage, or whatever caliber that was hard/impossible to find. I assume they just didn't follow the news about ammo shortages, then when they did, it was too late. Also, I bought a Glock 20 10mm about a year ago just to have another caliber in the house.

Plus, in the first year, you'll spend way more on ammo than the cost of the pistols.
    That's what I tell people about buying a horse. It doesn't take long to figure out that it's the boarding fees, feed and vet bills that sink your bank account, not the purchase price. Cleaning guns beats shoveling shit. (in Louisiana or otherwise!)

The safety is in a bad spot for prolonged shooting sessions. I would occasionally unintentionally decock the pistol too. I love the LEM concept. I know when Todd did his long-term test of the HK45 LEM he was able to dial the trigger in.

I still go back and read his testing journal from time to time https://pistol-training.com/hk45-end...hirty-seven-2/
    If I ride the safety on a HK45C like I do on a 1911 then periodically I would partially press the lever past the off safe detent in recoil.
    Not enough to decock but enough to render the trigger dead.
    I have to put my thumb on my off hand to prevent this from happening.
    It’s trainable but not ideal.

Although the 45C is a big gun on the top end the grip is fairly stubby and it doesn’t print much. I’d say it makes it fairly concealable

If the HK USP 45 10 round ban state mags are reliable (which by all accounts, seem to be), I'll just stick with my USP's as my full-size carry .45 option, and buy more mags for it, including some 10 rounders for if I go to AWB states/locales. It'd probably be smarter to get an HK45c instead of a full size for cases where I need something more concealable in the .45 option. In short, I feel a full size HK45 might be redundant since I have two USP 45f's and supporting gear, and ban-compliant mags are available for them that (I think?) are not sacrificing any reliability.

yes 45c lem. 10 rders usually. 8 if you need more concealment. Reliable enough for Seal Team 6 Bin Laden raid. Yeah 45c and p30's (93K rounds) are most vetted pistols ever and reliable even if not lubed regularly. like crazy vetted.

Full size HK45 is DOG CRAP DA pull like still going and going and heavier and when the F is this thing going to drop the hammer bad. haven't tried lem on it.

I’ve been carrying my 45c for the last couple of weeks. It’s been very reliable and carries well AIWB. Need to find more reasonably priced 10rd mags though.

For those of you complaining about decocking V3 HK45 while riding the safety, you might consider that the appropriate (V9) detent plate to turn it into cocked-and-locked mode is seven dollars and two minutes to install.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 12-17-2022 at 07:05 AM.

User Tag List