Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK45c or HK45 Full Size?

They are both solid pistols but my preference is the HK45 due to the grip.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

HK45c is already the size of a Glock 19; if you're going to be carrying it I'd definitely go for that. That said (and I realize this wasn't the original prompt), a Glock 30 would be smaller in every dimension except width and have an actual 10 rounds. It's small enough I would want a pinky rest on it actually. If you shoot the HK better or don't feel comfortable with the Glock that beats the capacity/size difference though.
    Last edited by GlockenSpiel; 11-11-2022 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockenSpiel View Post
    HK45c is already the size of a Glock 19; if you're going to be carrying it I'd definitely go for that. That said (and I realize this wasn't the original prompt), a Glock 30 would be smaller in every dimension except width and have an actual 10 rounds. It's small enough I would want a pinky rest on it actually. If you shoot the HK better or don't feel comfortable with the Glock that beats the capacity/size difference though.
    Well, I love my Glock 21's so much I'd just dedicate one or buy another to chop the grip to G30 length and use G30 mags if I was going to go that route. Should be reliable. But I feel like the HK45c is probably more controllable than an actual G30, but I haven't put it to a timer and B8 target yet. That said, I've shot G30s a bit and was also impressed with the accuracy. Maybe it's something about the Glocks in .45 caliber, barrel twist or bore profile maybe? My G21's are one of the few handguns in any caliber that I can call my shots on virtually 100% of the time. To me that's worth more than faster splits. Plus in my personal experience I have found the larger semi-auto service pistol calibers or .357 Mag seem to have a greater effect on medium to large size animals while I'm out there (never encountered anything like big bears though).

HK45C LEM is what I'd choose in that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    HK45C LEM is what I'd choose in that line.
    Yeah that's what I'm leaning toward once a money transfer goes through.

Well, a Daniel Defense M4v9 managed to snag my money before the HK45c, so now I'm back in the HK45 market. I've just been doing some reading in old threads about them and ran across this by @GJM :

"I shot a HK45 and 45C today, in part thinking about the magazine capacity thread. I find the 45C quite difficult to shoot as well as the HK45, because of the short grip."

To GJM, has your thinking at all changed since then? (2012)
    I do like the shootability of the full size USP and G21, and I have no issue concealing either of them. Part of what I like about the HK45 and 45c is ban state compliance for traveling, but I know there comes a point where once you move down from full size, the juice can be not worth the squeeze when it comes to larger calibers. So now I'm considering the full size again. I do like the way the HK45c conceals with 8rd mags, though.

I sold my 45C lem after two years of working with it and packing it on a few of my Western trips and in our woods because I simply could not shoot it well at speed, splits were awful or else I was tagging C zone hits all the time, that is just me. Mine was perfectly reliable even with .45 super. I have a USP45 lem set up I like and can do better with, and if I had to deal with the ban states I have found the 10 round mags for that USP 45 platform to be very reliable. No experience with the HK45 full size although I have been tempted to try one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I sold my 45C lem after two years of working with it and packing it on a few of my Western trips and in our woods because I simply could not shoot it well at speed, splits were awful or else I was tagging C zone hits all the time, that is just me. Mine was perfectly reliable even with .45 super. I have a USP45 lem set up I like and can do better with, and if I had to deal with the ban states I have found the 10 round mags for that USP 45 platform to be very reliable. No experience with the HK45 full size although I have been tempted to try one myself.
    Hrm... maybe I should just convert my USP's to LEM and get some 10 rounders for ban state travel if there truly is no sacrifice in reliability. I've just always felt a bit more trusting of a magazine that was designed to hold 10 or less rounds than one that was modified/redesigned to hold less than it was originally supposed to.

I used to have an HK45c that I carried for a long time. After shooting/carrying G19s (which is mostly what I carry), G21s (which I shoot insanely well, like a laser for some reason), and USP 45s (which I do enjoy, though I want to try LEM and have something more readily ban-state compliant), I find myself looking at the HK45 series more and more again. I do remember thinking how much easier it was to control the G21 and even the USP full size compared to my HK45c. Considering I don't have any issue concealing a G21 or USP 45 FS IWB-style, a full size 10 round compliant .45 does appeal to me and couldn't be worse to shoot than a USP. I also like the single trigger pull of the LEM.

I tend to ask "what if" a lot, like what if I found myself in a place that only allowed less than 10 rounds in a pistol? Not to get into politics but recent talk of wanting to limit mags to 8 rounds and the idea espoused that semi autos are "unreasonable" to have period make me wonder if I should just get a 7 shot GP100 to sidestep those concerns as a "just in case".

@SwampDweller

Man, you remind me of me. Lots of firearm platforms to choose from. Forward thinking, not only for the short run, but the long run too. And each pistol platform has its pluses and minuses. I just ordered a Beretta 92A1 after days of agonizing about it. Too many thoughts on that 92A1. I finally just decided to buy it, as I already have an M9 commercial. So I'm familiar with platform. Just wanted a rail, so I bought the rail, and what do ya know, the whole pistol came with it....lol.

Good luck in your decision-making. In the end, you'll just have to make a decision and see how it works out. If it doesn't, move on to the next pistol.

I did buy a Ruger GP100 .357 about 6 months ago.

I carried and shot a TDA 45c with the safety/decocker when I was shooting 1911s a lot. I loved the 45c and got really good with it. I bought a 45c LEM and just couldn't get used to that trigger. I sold it and kept the TDA pistol. I had a full-size HK45 for a short time. For a concealed carry pistol it was a lot to lug around. The perceived recoil was lower and the reloads were faster though.

Buy one of each and enjoy the journey. It's just money. Plus, in the first year, you'll spend way more on ammo than the cost of the pistols.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List