Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK45c or HK45 Full Size?

HK45c or HK45 Full Size?

I have been pouring through threads on this subject for the past week, but I still find myself at an impasse.

I had and shot an HK45c for years and was very competent with it. Not too long ago I basically gave it to a family member who needed a pistol, and at the time I had mostly switched to carrying either a Glock 21, or more often, a Glock 19.

But I find myself missing having an HK45 variant on my side. I shoot faster with the G19, but for some reason, I am noticeably more accurate with a G21, USP 45, or HK45 with only slightly slower split times (not slow enough to be slower than my ability to process what is going on between each shot, which is the maximum desired split time for me).

I'm looking at either getting another Hk45c or HK45 as a primary carry pistol, especially because I may end up travelling to jurisdictions with a 10 round magazine limit somewhat frequently in the near future.

My dilemma is, should I go with the full size HK45, or the HK45c again? Is there enough of a difference in recoil/muzzle flip between the HK45 and HK45c to make a difference? Could the HK45 be more reliable? This will be both an at-home defensive weapon as well as an every day carry. The 45c has the versatility of either using an 8 round mag for easier concealability, while also being able to use full size 10rd mags. In either case, I'll likely be going with a Light LEM. For reference, I routinely conceal carry a G21 or full size USP 45 on a regular basis IWB without too much issue, but if the HK45's "shootability" isn't too much better, the HK45c might be a better choice being it can be run with a full size 10 rounder or more concealable 8 rounder.

Not sure about the reliability of the 45C. My 45 has never caused any problems except one time it wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round fired. That was due to my reloads and not the pistol. Bumped up the powder charge a hair and it ran like it should. I have about 2K through my HK45. Built the first year of production.

I don't think there's a more reliable pistol to be found.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The HK45c is much easier to conceal under lite clothes. Mine is set up as a lite LEM and is very accurate and reliable. The glaring issue with it is the light options are sparse. I think that the TLR7 family, Crimson Trace, and a couple of others are all that fit w/o some modifications or adapter. The Surefire options don’t fit out of the box.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I have a couple of HK45's and a USPc in .45. My full size guns are more accurate. By a measurable amount. One HK45 is set up with LEM, the other is set up for cocked and locked carry. The USPc is LEM. The USPc will shoot 6 factory loads into 2.0" or less at 20 yards. The HK45 set up for cocked and locked shoots 15 different factory loads 2.0" or under. The LEM HK45 does the same with 10 different loads. The compact gun is easier to conceal under light clothing, but I don't find the full size guns objectionable when carried IWB. I really hate the clubfoot 10 round mags for the compacts. They are fugly.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Having owned several of each over the years, the only thing the full size does better to me is mount a light. For me, the 45c shoots better suppressed, is easier to carry with the ability to take 8rd mags if need be, and fits the same holster as a P30. Dont get me wrong, the HK45 is a fantastic pistol. I just prefer the USP45 for a full size 45.

You might consider a USP FS with the match hybrid LEM trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

45C w/LEM trigger or the aforementioned USP FS with the Match Hybrid LEM would be my two choices.

The 45C often fits into P30 holsters, while the USP will need its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    45C w/LEM trigger or the aforementioned USP FS with the Match Hybrid LEM would be my two choices.

The 45C often fits into P30 holsters, while the USP will need its own thing.
    I do have and often carry a USP 45 full size in a Black Rhino IWB holster. It’s not particularly difficult, but I guess part of why the HK45 series appeals to me is that it’s okay in mag limit states where the USP is not. Then again, I could get the 10 round ban mags for it, but I’m not sure how reliable those are. The HK45c would just make it all that more concealable in more variety of situations.

may end up travelling to jurisdictions with a 10 round magazine limit somewhat frequently in the near future.
    The Venn diagram of jurisdictions that have a 10 round limit and jurisdictions that might jam you up over a combination of someone noticing you carrying a full size pistol because you weren't 100% on point every second of every day and you not being 100% up on what the local carry laws are this week seem like they could become a perfect circle at any moment. There are places where printing doesn't matter. It seems like most of them don't have magazine capacity limits.

I realize that there are places in rural WA or NY that don't care about draconian state regs. Generally you have to pass through lots of places where someone might care in order to get there. 100% 45c. The 2 fewer rounds and slower splits are far less likely to matter than the legal shitshow you might step in while traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    The Venn diagram of jurisdictions that have a 10 round limit and jurisdictions that might jam you up over a combination of someone noticing you carrying a full size pistol because you weren't 100% on point every second of every day and you not being 100% up on what the local carry laws are this week seem like they could become a perfect circle at any moment. There are places where printing doesn't matter. It seems like most of them don't have magazine capacity limits.

I realize that there are places in rural WA or NY that don't care about draconian state regs. Generally you have to pass through lots of places where someone might care in order to get there. 100% 45c. The 2 fewer rounds and slower splits are far less likely to matter than the legal shitshow you might step in while traveling.
    Good point. Agreed. Looks like I'm going with the HK45c. Leaning towards the LEM model. One I'm looking at is LEM and actually comes with three 8-round mags and I believe it also has true tritium night sights if I'm not mistaken. Prices on OEM 8 round mags aren't terrible either, and I can stock up on a handful of 10 rounders for the range or as pocket reloads.

User Tag List