Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber optic fronts with RDS?

Fiber optic fronts with RDS?

I’m likely going to send my EDCX9 back to WC to have the slide milled and RDS installed. Their only FS option is fiber optic. Wouldn’t this be distracting? Anyone currently using a fiber front with RDS? How well do they play together?

My preferrence is an Ameriglo Lumi-green w/ tritium front, jet black rear, on RDS equipped pistol. I do not find it distracting in any way, so I can't imagine FO would be a problem either.

Only stipulation would be, I wouldn't want the FO to be the same color as my red dot.

I've been running a Staccato P on duty with an RDS. It has a green fiber front and I have had no issues with it. Actually, when using my irons though my RDS (RM06) it makes it a bit easier to find the front sight.

I don't get it.

I want nothing in my near focal plane that is going to draw my attention. Fiber optics, luminous sights, etc all do this. Its counter intuitive to using a red dot well.

I run backup irons on my guns simply because policy demands it and i'm somewhat paranoid. I shot 99% of my many, many, many thousands of rounds through iron sighted pistols using a fiber optic front because that's what worked for me. I have no pistols with fiber sights anymore. They all have blacked out iron sights with a red dot on the slide.

I’ve preferred plain black with a RDS, but my 19 with SRS has factory Ameriglos which bother me less than I expected. Fiber optics might be too distracting for me, though.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

While I have found a bright fiber distracting with a RDS, it is an easy fix to remove the fiber from the front sight, or darken it with a Sharpie.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I’m likely going to send my EDCX9 back to WC to have the slide milled and RDS installed. Their only FS option is fiber optic. Wouldn’t this be distracting? Anyone currently using a fiber front with RDS? How well do they play together?
    Nighthawk custom has an option for a Trijicon night sight, I would ask WC if they can do that too.

I sent mine to Nighthawk a few years ago.

Name:  98D99C7D-8AC0-4A68-9530-8B459F705088.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  0107A9BA-06AA-4246-8B82-AB39CECA8C03.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  17.0 KB

Name:  9B20FB32-D6CD-48D4-BBEA-E641C22449E3.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  16.1 KB

Name:  99C14618-90F8-4B56-9210-AF8EAFD6F6CC.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  13.7 KB

That being said, I don’t find a front fiber to be an issue and I set up my carry gun (P365) with a custom height Dawson fiber front to get the correct POI for my milled optic.

I prefer a green fiber front with blacked out rear to pair with a red dot. The green does not distract me from the red. And if my dot is off or down, the front sight still works well. I used to have black front and rear. But moved to this combination.

To me this is going to be a very personal preference on how your eyes interact with the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first red dot gun had a fiber optic front sight. I quickly changed the fiber out to a green one. My other red dot guns either have a black front post or the front sight got removed altogether (competition guns).

I have not found my green FO Dawsons to be distracting. Bear in mind that I've used my RDS in conjunction with a green laser since my transition to an RDS (as I had been using lasers with irons prior to that), so it might be an issue of familiarity, but for me, the green FO being used as a back-up to be easier to pick up in case I lose the dot in more unorthodox shooting positions or SHO/WHO has worked as I had hoped.

User Tag List