Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FitBit-type step tracker?

FitBit-type step tracker?

So, Mrs Totem wants a wrist-worn fitness tracker for heart rate, steps and daily mileage. Doesn’t have to be fancy, but it does have to work. What’s the hot ticket on one of these things? I’d like to avoid F’ing this one up, since she doesn’t often ask for a gadget.

Thanks in advance for the opinions, folks, I appreciate it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Garmin Vivosmart would be my first stop for a bare bones device. But, depending on her lifestyle, she may soon want to upgrade a to full Garmin watch experience.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Garmin Vivosmart would be my first stop for a bare bones device. But, depending on her lifestyle, she may soon want to upgrade a to full Garmin watch experience.
    That Vivosmart 4 looks pretty good, for what she’s after. Good suggestion, thanks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    My wife and I have had Fit Bits the last 3 or 4 years. My wife has had good luck with the more tracker type (thinner). My luck has not been so good.

I like the app and there is a scale that automatically connects and tracks with the app. I think my wife is on her second, about six months ago mine third one broke and I have not replaced it.

Overall, I liked the Fit Bit but the longevity was definitely lacking for the more watch type - Sense/Versa.

I got a few more things to sell post move and I'll be getting an Apple Watch since I am bought into the ecosystem and my phones have been long lasting 6 years and now on year three.

I really liked having the step count and heart rate data.

Just had a guy on the assignment I am on lose his black phone in the woods and found it with his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I'll be getting an Apple Watch since I am bought into the ecosystem and my phones….
    A few days ago I ordered an Ultra, excited to see how it shakes out. I love traditional watches but it just makes sense for my work/life balance and goals. Plus, the cellular on the Ultra means I can go without my phone more often, which should be plus.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

DC Rainmaker has outstanding reviews of many devices, including the Vivosmart 5. I'm planning to get one of those or a Lily for my daughter for Christmas this year.

He's also got a review of the top FitBit, the Charge 5, and a thorough comparison between that and the Vivosmart 5.

I was looking into fitness trackers myself about this time last year, but I ended up with a Venu 2S instead. I have been very happy with it. If considering a smaller smartwatch, definitely worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    So, Mrs Totem wants a wrist-worn fitness tracker for heart rate, steps and daily mileage. Doesn’t have to be fancy, but it does have to work. What’s the hot ticket on one of these things? I’d like to avoid F’ing this one up, since she doesn’t often ask for a gadget.

Thanks in advance for the opinions, folks, I appreciate it.
    what phone brand does she use?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    what phone brand does she use?
    iPhone.

iPhone.
    I'd definitely go with an Apple Watch then. For most normal people that aren't REALLY into the metrics that Garmin can provide it is the best option, and provides a lot of other functionality outside of the fitness tracking. I've been a Garmin user for quite a while, but recently switched to the Apple Watch Ultra and I'm really loving it, and finding that when combined with the Athlytic app I get more accurate metrics and analysis than I did with my Garmin that was quite a bit more expensive.

I had some Fitbit models when they first came out several years ago and was pretty happy with them, although the functionality was pretty limited back then. Fitbit is now owned by Google so that's an immediate no go for me though. Google is like Facebook in that if they are involved YOU are the product, and I don't want them tracking me 24/7. Yes, my Apple Watch is obviously tracking me, but Apple has a far better track record of caring about privacy.

iPhone.
    That's a pretty strong case for the Apple Watch, then. I have several beautiful mechanicals, and have worn them perhaps three days out of the last 2000. The Watch is pretty endlessly useful and a decent fitness tracker. I have tried various fitbits for my wife and kid and finally bought them Watches, which now work well for them.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List