Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Winter Project: A Mauser-based 1911-magfed Bolt Action

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @RevolverRob

Have you thought about grinding a couple of flats on the barrel to see if you can get a better grip on it?
    Yes, that's a good idea, it's a stepped barrel as well. So if I grind two flats in at the thickest step, I can slip a six-point box end down the barrel and wedge it firmly over the flats and then bear that down on the bench. If I do it right, I can get the corners of those flats firmly into four points on the box end.

I want to be there to hear the shriek when it finally lets go. (Either shriek, actually - Rob’s or the work’s.)
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I want to be there to hear the shriek when it finally lets go. (Either shriek, actually - Rob’s or the work’s.)
    Either of those is a high possibility.

I think my final piece will be to go buy a shop press from Harbor Freight. Grind flats in the barrel. Put 12-tons of hydraulic force on the flats locking the barrel firmly in place. Then a cheater bar on the action wrench + Rob standing on it + Rob jumping up and down on it.

If it doesn't come loose at that point, it's not coming loose.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

I think my final piece will be to go buy a shop press from Harbor Freight. Grind flats in the barrel. Put 12-tons of hydraulic force on the flats locking the barrel firmly in place. Then a cheater bar on the action wrench + Rob standing on it + Rob jumping up and down on it.

If it doesn't come loose at that point, it's not coming loose.
    Last step would be a comealong attached to the cheater bar.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Site Supporter
    Rob, cut the barrel off to a 4" stub so it can't flex, weld a 1" or so nut onto it, wait until it cools, and hit it with a big impact wrench. You can probably just hold the action in your hand for this. No need for all of these Rube Goldberg antics.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Rob, cut the barrel off to a 4" stub so it can't flex, weld a 1" or so nut onto it, wait until it cools, and hit it with a big impact wrench. You can probably just hold the action in your hand for this. No need for all of these Rube Goldberg antics.
    Shush. We want this to be more complex, not simple!
    Ken

Site Supporter
    ¿Por que no los dos?
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Today, with Mrs. RR's help, I finally got the receiver and barrel separated.

I ground some flats onto the barrel, locked a 14" pipe wrench over them. The jack handle for my floor jack conveniently separates into two pieces about 2' long. So, one end in the pipe wrench, one end on the action wrench. Mrs. RR holding her side down, me torquing the receiver. And just when I thought it wouldn't go one more little nudge and it popped loose with a BANG!

---

Once I got the barrel separated I could see where the trouble was. At some point in the distant past this gun was dropped and the barrel torqued hard enough to chip some flat spots in the receiver threads. Visual inspection under a 10x loupe, it's old damage and some rust had formed along the chips. Running my finger along it, I can feel two flat spots where the chips are, making for a rough mating surface. The barrel threads were fine, leading me to suspect the gun was arsenal rebarreled at some point.

Anyways, I'll rent a small ring receiver tap from 4D Reamers and chase the threads. I think some patience and effort and I can get it cleaned up enough to thread the new barrel in without too much torque being needed. If I can't, well, then I'll probably just source another receiver.

http://instagram.com/p/CqDTJ1Tu9so/

Pic from my basement workshop last night. Once I edited up this picture a bit You can see one of the flat spots and chips (arrow). There is a matching one about 1/4 of the way around the circumference from there.

And just when I thought it wouldn't go one more little nudge and it popped loose with a BANG!
    Called it.
    Ken

User Tag List