Size:  18.0 KB

Name:  99528B44-CC95-40F7-8483-7062B5C0FD72.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  26.8 KB

This trigger:

Name:  4FBC4C6D-0381-4CC1-9F9F-A54689CC8F91.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  14.4 KB

A few screws, springs, some bottom metal and I guess a stock...

To eventually get something sort of like this:

Name:  4B1CBC88-E71D-438D-9DF5-923231FD30C0.jpeg
Views: 927
Size:  83.2 KB

I'll be interested to see how you solve the bottom-metal issue. Will it feed from 1911 mags like the original?

Name:  DeLisle jpeg.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  21.3 KB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If you are going to go full stock, I urge you to go as slim as possible- the lines of a real Steyr-Mannlicher are classic for a reason. The 93 Mauser action is so svelte it deserves to be paired with an equally sleek stock layout.
    I can talk you through inlaying a spline of carbon fiber in the barrel channel to keep everything stable forward of the action pillars.

Name:  IMG_7839-scaled.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  38.4 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'll be interested to see how you solve the bottom-metal issue. Will it feed from 1911 mags like the original?

Name:  DeLisle jpeg.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  21.3 KB

Okie John
    Yes to 1911 mags. I am not sure yet on bottom metal, because my kit and bottom metal are on the way, but I believe the mag well fits inside the bottom metal and is pinned in place. I imagine there will be some fiddling to get fitment correct for reliable feeding. I'll have to play with the whole thing for a bit to really figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    If you are going to go full stock, I urge you to go as slim as possible- the lines of a real Steyr-Mannlicher are classic for a reason. The 93 Mauser action is so svelte it deserves to be paired with an equally sleek stock layout.
    I can talk you through inlaying a spline of carbon fiber in the barrel channel to keep everything stable forward of the action pillars.

Yes to all of this. I think the challenge here will be whatever stock I pick is really sized for a ~21-22" barrel and this kit is a 16.5" barrel. So, I'll be chopping the stock back and if I don't simultaneously rework the forearm to reflect that it'll look...funky. That's where the inspiration build is a let down, by not opting to rework the forend area the builder there leaves it looking chunky. Of course maybe that was intentional since that particular build is one of Rhineland's .450 Bushmaster barrels instead of .45ACP.

Site Supporter
    This is a really freakin' cool project!

And Rhineland arms' website will be dangerous to my wallet, but at least it takes nice little bite sized chunks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

Be still my beating heart!

I still kick myself for not buying the Mannlicher–Schönauer rifle in 8mmsomething x something years ago. It was in good shape, had a vintage 4x scope with vintage mounts and was all of $1k. I didn't buy it because the ammo was a caliber I hadn't heard of and wasn't sure if I could get components for. I love the platform though. My Winchester M70 FWT 6.5x55 will have to suffice.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My 2022/2023 Winter Project:

Taking this 1893 Spanish Mauser Action from 1913:
    I would be interested in hearing what is required to fit the barrel to the action. I've always wanted to do that, but have resisted the urge because I lack the proper tooling (or what I think is needed). Maybe it isn't as involved as I assumed...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I would be interested in hearing what is required to fit the barrel to the action. I've always wanted to do that, but have resisted the urge because I lack the proper tooling (or what I think is needed). Maybe it isn't as involved as I assumed...

Chris
    The hardest mechanical part of this project will be removing the old barrel from the action. I have some Delrin barrel blocks which I will use to lock the barrel into my vise. Then I have to improvise some kind of action wrench (or buy one) to twist the action loose.

The new barrel uses a Savage-style lock ring system. So you screw the barrel in basically hand tight, slide the lock ring over and torque it with a spanner designed for the lock ring (Rhineland has the spanners for 5 bucks). The Savage lock-ring system is superior to basically all systems these days and now commonly found on precision actions. With a spanner and a strap wrench you swap barrels in ~15 min.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The hardest mechanical part of this project will be removing the old barrel from the action. I have some Delrin barrel blocks which I will use to lock the barrel into my vise. Then I have to improvise some kind of action wrench (or buy one) to twist the action loose.

The new barrel uses a Savage-style lock ring system. So you screw the barrel in basically hand tight, slide the lock ring over and torque it with a spanner designed for the lock ring (Rhineland has the spanners for 5 bucks). The Savage lock-ring system is superior to basically all systems these days and now commonly found on precision actions. With a spanner and a strap wrench you swap barrels in ~15 min.
    Thx. I noticed the Savage lock-ring aspect right after posting my question. You confirmed what I thought I was looking at, so now I need to talk myself down from something like this.

Chris

You may or may not find this stripper-clip-fed integrally suppressed .45 Mauser project inspirational: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd-eOiOK37N/

User Tag List