View Poll Results: Are you uneasy about carrying a P320 due to the unintentional discharge issue?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I'm not confident in the P320's safety record

157 85.33%
  • No: I believe the gun is mechanically sound.

27 14.67%
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: P320 Unintentional Discharge Issues

No P320s for me.

I don't have faith that SIG has gotten it right. They have demonstrated numerous times, in fact, that they had (have??) it wrong.

The recent issues of dead P365 triggers that go off when shaken doesn't inspire further confidence.

I'll go out on a limb and say this: Until proven otherwise I am viewing 'modular' handgun platforms with extreme skepticism from a safety perspective. So far only Beretta seems to have gotten it right.

I wouldn't buy or carry a 320. The early ND/trigger issues was enough to put me off the idea. The Sig reaction and fix cemented that feeling. I had already written off most of the Sig stuff back when they did diamond plate and rainbow finishes on their guns, and tossed QC out the window in the name of dollars. The magazine over-instertion issue wrecking the FCU's is pretty bad. The weird things they have done with optic cuts and changes to them is another reason I wouldn't try one. They appear to be very shootable pistols, but I have actually not shot one myself, as I don't see what they do that my pile of Glocks can't.

I've shot a few P365 variants, and they seem okay, and sorta fill a niche that Glock left open (before they played catch up with the 43X/48). They pack a lot of moving parts in a very small space.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    As much as I consider the current version, P3 20 good to go, I think you made the right choice.
    Thanks. I took it to the range today. Granted, it took a back seat to another gun that I’m breaking-in. So, it only got 100 rounds through it - 50 of 124 grain AE and 50 of 147 grain HST. A couple of observations:

1) It’s got some snap. While it doesn’t rotate as much in my hand as a G48, it is noticeably less comfortable to shoot than a G26.

2) I much prefer the Glock trigger break but this gun has a shorter reset. This P365 has some take-up that isn’t all that smooth, a little shelf (almost like a 2-stage), then slightly more take-up before a looong rolling break. This was a problem for me for the first magazine. I was pull left until I found the optimal trigger purchase to account for the grip and trigger pull characteristics.

3) No reliability issues whatsoever. I’ll need to practice with it a lot more before it gets carried but I certainly feel better about it than my P320s.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-13-2022 at 11:34 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    No P320s for me.

I don't have faith that SIG has gotten it right. They have demonstrated numerous times, in fact, that they had (have??) it wrong.

The recent issues of dead P365 triggers that go off when shaken doesn't inspire further confidence.

I'll go out on a limb and say this: Until proven otherwise I am viewing 'modular' handgun platforms with extreme skepticism from a safety perspective. So far only Beretta seems to have gotten it right.
    Interesting-this is the first time I've heard of this issue with a P365. Can you elaborate a bit?

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Interesting-this is the first time I've heard of this issue with a P365. Can you elaborate a bit?

Best, Jon

Jon, are you currently or in the past have been sponsored by SIG?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

That it a tolerance issue. I have seen other pistol act this way, although it is usually because of aftermarket parts or fiddling with the triggers parts, IE home gunsmithing.

What is happening here is the trigger is being pulled, it moves the sear downward, but there is enough "slop" in the trigger and sear components, that there is just a hair of the striker hanging onto the sear keeping it from releasing, shaking it releases the striker.

This is defiantly defective as there should be enough clearance in the fire control parts for the pistol to fire consistently. There isn't enough clearance between these parts for them to interact reliably each and every time to fire the pistol. This could be from debris build up, or parts wearing out etc. but whatever the cause, it's a problem and should be sent back to Sig.

I do agree this is the first time I am seeing this issue with the 365. They have been pretty solid since the firing pin breakage and barrel peening problems were solved.

This problem can be created easily on a Glock with a Ghost Connector with the overtravel stop, and the overtravel stop not being taken down enough. It stops the trigger movement, just a hair before it releases. If you really muscle the trigger you can get it to release the striker, and sometimes if you pull up on rear of the slide you can get to release.

I suspect if this gentlemen held the trigger to the rear and then pulled up on the rear of the slide, it would exhibit the same result as him shaking it, the pistol would fire.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 11-14-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

I don’t follow shooting social media - P-F is the extent of it. Has anyone seen more about this, such as what is happening? The video is interesting but not really useful because it doesn’t give details of how the condition is reproduced.

Edit - @Texaspoff posted while I was composing.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    No P320s for me.

This video just came out, it is a sample of 1 out of over 1 million guns. Not plural.

The gun also is reported to have this issue right out of the box. The video claims the owner called Sigg customer service and tried to return it immediately and said customer service told him something to the effect of the gun needed to be broken in.

Having had mixed experience with SIGs customer service, I can believe that

We’ve also seen quality control issues in the form of batches of bad parts or we have failed commercially purchased 365 series guns during armorer inspections. Usually when we see a problem like the out of spec take down levers or the oversized rear sight dovetails we see a cluster pop up and then we don’t see that problem anymore. that indicates the problem is not a design issue. It is a QC issue.

If you make 1 million guns in a couple of years, you’re gonna have a few with QC issues, especially if you depend on third-party vendors from overseas for parts.

I can tell you that my agency has changed policy on sourcing for POW p365 series guns. previously, we buy commercial P365 series guns. Now they must be SIG LE/IOP program guns as denotes by the “W” prefix on the SKU. While there are reasons for that change, they are QC related, not related not design related.

Name:  86A95BAB-C4DB-4B9F-9165-BC92FD6B2481.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  67.6 KB

That said, you think the Beretta striker fired guns don’t have their own issues I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I don’t follow shooting social media - P-F is the extent of it. Has anyone seen more about this, such as what is happening? The video is interesting but not really useful because it doesn’t give details of how the condition is reproduced.
    You can watch his follow up video for more information.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    That said, you think the Beretta striker fired guns don’t have their own issues I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.
    I am unaware of any issues with the APX. I would definitely interested in hearing about them. We can either classic P-F and post off-topic stuff or a new APX thread or you can PM me.

User Tag List