View Poll Results: Are you uneasy about carrying a P320 due to the unintentional discharge issue?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: I'm not confident in the P320's safety record

157 85.33%
  • No: I believe the gun is mechanically sound.

27 14.67%
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: P320 Unintentional Discharge Issues

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I just can’t get a sense of peace that would enable me to carry one. Even if the AD issues are all NDs, I just can’t get comfortable with how that trigger feels and how light it is.

I do get why some people feel ok with them, and I hope they work for all who use them.
    Not at all criticizing your decision, but cops are NDing every platform they're currently carrying every day. And unless you're in a position to be reviewing or investigating such instances you're likely never going to hear about them. NDs with Classic line Sigs (P226s) were a 2 times a year thing for us.....as we're the 2-3 times a year NDs with personally owned Glocks.

ETA: "I don't like them" or "I prefer Glocks/CZs/M&Ps" are also both valid reasons to say no.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The article on the Milwaukee incident has a whole bunch of smoke but it does not actually say the gun went off in the holster.

Not to mention the “anonymous sources” are likely affiliated with MPD which seems to have a beef with SIG.

Cops being cops, and cops NOT being gun people: 1) NDs are, unfortunately, a regular thing and have been from the DA revolver days; 2) I’d bet one of @GJM’s “P-F Dollars” this will wind up being an ND.
    You mean someone who had a ND might try to blame it on Sig? Shocked.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You mean someone who had a ND might try to blame it on Sig? Shocked.
    Yup.

Cops having NDs is not exactly outlier event either. They don’t always make the news but as any of the other posters here who’ve run a LE firearms program can attest cops having NDs is all too common.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Not at all criticizing your decision, but cops are NDing every platform they're currently carrying every day. And unless you're in a position to be reviewing or investigating such instances you're likely never going to hear about them. NDs with Classic line Sigs (P226s) were a 2 times a year thing for us.....as we're the 2-3 times a year NDs with personally owned Glocks.

ETA: "I don't like them" or "I prefer Glocks/CZs/M&Ps" are also both valid reasons to say no.
    Along those lines, not every ICE /HSI LEO is carrying a 320 or carrying a 320 all the time. The 365 series is extremely popular as a POW option and many get carried in lieu of the 320 for in office or lower risk duties.

We’ve also authorized POW Glocks in 9mm for over 15 years. So it’s likely both recent WI and FL incidents involved something other than a 320.

Site Supporter

Totally makes sense. Glocks are just on the edge of ok for me, and I add a NY1 and SCD. That probably is an over the top position, but despite my best efforts, I can’t shake it.

There are guys I see who do crazy things safety wise, that probably only get away with it because of DA triggers. DA triggers are a weak defense against constant negligence, but I would be even more concerned with them having something like a P320.

You have infinitely more experience in this arena than I do, so I would defer someone seeking advice to you, but I can’t get past my own hang up. Since there are other quality options, it’s not a major deal one way or the other for an individual, but that mindset may not apply to a large institution.

In aviation, about 85 percent of the crashes are pilot error. I would bet 5 of HCM's PF dollars that the percentage of ND's being human error tracks that 85 percent.

In my experience, based on liking all sorts of platforms and having hung around forums for some years, people advocating a particular platform because of its intrinsic safety often fall into these camps -- trying to justify their own choice, trying to explain to their wife why they need something new, or trying to sell you something.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    In aviation, about 85 percent of the crashes are pilot error. I would bet 5 of HCM's PF dollars that the percentage of ND's being human error tracks that 85 percent.

In my experience, based on liking all sorts of platforms and having hung around forums for some years, people advocating a particular platform because of its intrinsic safety often fall into these camps -- trying to justify their own choice, trying to explain to their wife why they need something new, or trying to sell you something.
    Between the complexity of aircraft vs firearms and other factors such as weather etc I’d say the human error factor in NDs is higher than 85%.

The pilot error rate is a good start for understanding the scope of the issue though.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Between the complexity of aircraft vs firearms and other factors such as weather etc I’d say the human error factor in NDs is higher than 85%.

The pilot error rate is a good start for understanding the scope of the issue though.
    Yup. With NDs I'd frankly put it at 99+%.

Couldn't you replace the term "intrinsic safety" with literally any other aspect of a firearm (durability/ease of maintenance/accuracy/"feels right"/etc) and that statement would still be true?

Yup. With NDs I'd frankly put it at 99+%.
    Yep!

I know a guy who swore for a long time that the bullet hole in his floor was a result of his glock just “going off by itself” as he unholstered it.

Said maybe “lint got into the extractor” (lol) or the “trigger malfunctioned” and gave lots of excuses.

Years later he finally admitted that he probably just had his finger on the trigger and wasn’t paying attention.

I suspect that 99% of the cases where “the gun just went off by itself” is similar. In the p320 cases you are combining a weapon with a large trigger guard and a very easy to pull trigger with people who handle them a lot but don’t have. A lot of quality training reps in with them. It’s not a good combo…

I carry a p320 in appendix quite often now and I’m not worried. That said, it was made after 2019. I dry fire 30 minutes every day and have made it a habit to reholster slowly.

User Tag List