Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long-Term Effects of the Ammo Shortage

Ammo production is based on demand. Demand is based on the number of firearms chambered for a certain cartridge in use.

My guess is there are a lot of 38 Spl and .357 revolvers out there in use. So I don't expect the ammo manufacturers to abandoned that market.

Same with 9mm and 45 ACP. Too many pistols out there and owners that want ammo. With 40 I have no idea.

A search of .223/5.56 rifles on GB will lead one to believe that there are a lot of rifles out there. Ammo will be available for those. 308/7.62 maybe.

I don't have any insight to anything else. I wouldn't bet that some of these newer cartridges (this century) won't be a roll-your-own proposition in a few years.

The market has been very unpredictable for several years now. That's not a good sign.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-20-2022 at 09:58 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is freedoms quality still terrible?

I kept getting underpowered rounds bordering in squibs with a lot of their stuff and stopped using them altogether.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Yes. Freedom munitions is on the NFE list for multiple squibs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Curious to see what happens with the more obscure rifle cartridges.

I think the WSSM's are as good as gone. The 300 and 270 WSM seem to have a little staying power but I don't know if it's enough to hang on forever.

The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC came out in 2018 and seem to be thriving and doing quite well. The 6.8 Western on the other hand, looks to be barely hanging on.

Now they're releasing the 7 mm PRC, and it seems to have already gained a lot of press even before hitting the market itself.

Now if we can just get some good 257 Roberts production going!
    30-40 Krag… a former U.S. service rounds should be available….

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is freedoms quality still terrible?

I kept getting underpowered rounds bordering in squibs with a lot of their stuff and stopped using them altogether.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I just SO'd an IDPA match with the 2 shooters in my squad using Freedom Munitions cartridges had repeated issues with non-detonation of primers throughout the match. One shooter was using a Glock G19, the other a 9mm 1911.

Freedom gets a hard pass from me.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

User Tag List