Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Long-Term Effects of the Ammo Shortage

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Is freedoms quality still terrible?

I kept getting underpowered rounds bordering in squibs with a lot of their stuff and stopped using them altogether.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Don’t know. I’ve shot 2-3000 rounds of it and never had any issues. Most of what I bought was probably 5+ years ago (when you could still mail order ammo in Kalifornia) but I would be willing to purchase again.

Norma is down to $215 for 1,000 rounds. I remember it being about $180 per thousand, but I'd buy at $200.

https://southerndefense.com/norma-9m...l5A0K5WsWb89dB

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Norma is down to $215 for 1,000 rounds. I remember it being about $180 per thousand, but I'd buy at $200.

https://southerndefense.com/norma-9m...l5A0K5WsWb89dB

Okie John
    It's 300 a case once you add shipping, insurance and sales tax to the cart....
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

That’s crazy6

As for ammo availability, we are finally seeing stuff show up other than the basic calibers. We finally got our 270 and 243 in that we have been waiting for... Would have been nice to have it on the shelf before the season started tho... .30-30 has been spotty but we have a decent stock of 150 and 170 gn Rem Core-Lok to get us through the season. . 32, .38 Spl and .357 was gone for a bit but seems available now, .I even got in a few cases of 148 wadcutters, just in time for revolver roundup... .44 mag and 45lc are expensive but semi available.

We try to keep milsurp calibers in stock for our regulars because none of the other shops around here bother. Finally found some Swiss GP11 for a good customer. Can't find 6.5 carcano for two others... We have most of the other stuff, even though the prices are.... not wonderful.

.410 shotshells seem to be the hardest thing to get from our distributors right now. They have large shot, defensive stuff and slugs, but all the small stuff guys want for rabbits and stuff...doesn't exist.

We are swimming in .223, .308, 6.5, 9mm , .300 blk supers, subs still a bit harder to get. We bought a couple pallets worth of 7.62x39 before it disappeared. We are down to our last few cases of 5.45 though, and I don't think we will be restocking that anytime soon...

Most of our odd caliber stuff is from overseas... Fiocchi, PPU and S&B primarily, some PMC in 9mm and .223. It does seem like the domestic manufactuers have been focused on their premium lines and only major calibers.
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

Curious to see what happens with the more obscure rifle cartridges.

I think the WSSM's are as good as gone. The 300 and 270 WSM seem to have a little staying power but I don't know if it's enough to hang on forever.

The 6.5 PRC and 300 PRC came out in 2018 and seem to be thriving and doing quite well. The 6.8 Western on the other hand, looks to be barely hanging on.

Now they're releasing the 7 mm PRC, and it seems to have already gained a lot of press even before hitting the market itself.

Now if we can just get some good 257 Roberts production going!

Few months ago I shot my Saginaw M1 Carbine (stock WW2 with old flip L sight and no bayonet lug) with 1943 dated FMJ US military ammo.

Gun functioned fine and the bullets grouped well at 50 yards.

No complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    It's 300 a case once you add shipping, insurance and sales tax to the cart....
    $70 for shipping! Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

I also think that most handgun cartridges except the 9x19, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 44 Magnum, and 45 ACP, are at risk of becoming handloader-only or boutique items. The 30 Super Carry may twitch on for a few years before it ascends to its rightful place beside the 45 GAP and 41 Action Express.

Thoughts?
    I'm thinking the 40 S&W is the least popular of the group you listed it in and is slowly but surely withering away.

The only place I see .40 anymore is USPSA limited competitors in my area matches. I never see it on store shelves around my region.

User Tag List