Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What’s With the Paracord?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

What’s With the Paracord?

I bought a cheapo knife on the recommendation of an acquaintance:

Name:  IMG_3559.jpeg
Views: 855
Size:  54.2 KB

But what’s with the paracord? I would think it would get in the way of almost any reasonable use of the knife.

And if one had to go all stabby on another person, it would give them something to try to grab.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-18-2023 at 09:57 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

If this was a holster for a handgun with all those hangy things attached, we would remove them immediately.....or not bought the holster in the first place. Seems to be designed by someone who never uses a bladed weapon, much less carried one in a sheath.

Looks like a nice little knife. What brand/model? I've always been puzzled by knife lanyards.

Are lanyards for pulling on to access the knife? (That seems slow and makes getting a master grip more complicated)
    Are lanyards for retaining the knife? (I don't want to be tied to a knife--especially when the cord can hold >550lbs)
    Are lanyards for putting little skull beads on? (You do you...)

I'd cut it off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I bought a cheapo knife on the recommendation of an acquaintance:

Name:  IMG_3559.jpeg
Views: 855
Size:  54.2 KB

But what’s with the paracord? I would think it would get in the way of almost any reasonable use of the knife.

And if one had to go all stabby on another person, it would give them something to try to grab.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Well, I would posit that that configuration might possibly have utility in a tool role for the blade, rather than as a purely defensive weapon application. One can imagine a number of situations where such a thing might have utility in a camping application, for instance.

Obviously if you want an item like that as a potential weapon then, sure, a different configuration would be better for some or most users.

One side note- for me, blade training was a lot more work to get right than gun training for a comparable level of proficiency. The people who are good at it are downright scary, and they work hard at it all the time. Good blade teachers like Steve Tarani are some of the most physically intimidating people I have ever met- something in one’s lizard brain says “do not mess with this one”.

I would just cut it off. I believe there’s always a small lanyard with the tiny neck knives to give the illusion of a better grasp and draw. I haven’t found that to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Looks like a nice little knife. What brand/model?
    https://www.amazon.com/DuraTech-Comp.../dp/B08SJPFWZM
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

There's no room for a compass, or matches. So, it has to have something to show it's tacticred.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Well, I would posit that that configuration might possibly have utility in a tool role for the blade, rather than as a purely defensive weapon application. One can imagine a number of situations where such a thing might have utility in a camping application, for instance.
    I can see that. If I was still flying, it would go into my flight bag or vest?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I love 550 cord. It's versatile and useful. We used it to put dummy cords on everything in the Army and I'm sure it saved me money over the years by keeping me from losing stuff at night in thick brush, water ops, etc. Not sure I see the need for one on a neck knife.

Too much 550 cord in the wrong place is a pretty reliable moron indicator.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Vestigial tradition, that seems to have returned, and become become trendy, in sometimes-ridiculous ways? In the Seventies, before pocket clips, pocket knives were carried within pockets. The braided lanyard, sometimes with beads or other doodads for look-at-me ornamentation, was a way to quickly get the knife out of the pocket, without having to reach the whole hand into the pocket.

About 20 years ago, more-or-less, I when I was paying attention to small fixed-blades, some of them, with tiny handles, had braided cordage attached, supposedly to add more gripping area to the grip/handle. I never bought into that idea, but some folks did. Long “tails,” extending from the braided part, were, I reckon, simply for ornamentation.

Most knives are bought for non-cutty things, mere ornaments, anyway.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I love 550 cord. It's versatile and useful.
    A couple years ago I got back from a motorcycle trip and had realized what a PITA it would be to lose my key while in BFE-WV so I created something more visible. Posted this on FB and hilarity ensued. All my buddies suggesting I start selling plant hangers on Etsy...

Name:  Paracord Lanyard.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  52.0 KB

User Tag List