Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Smith Model 19 Carry Comp...sigh

Site Supporter
    Looks great. I am waiting for mine to get out of background check prison. I forgot to check the rear sight (it didn't look off, but I also didn't give it a thorough look over). I did notice that though the double action was nice, if I tried to put it in single action there seemed to be a hitch or hang up right before it locked into place. Let me know what you think of it. I plan on shooting it with some barnes 125s, some 38 wadcutters and some 158 soft points. I might pick up some bear defense 180s just to see how they feel as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Have not yet gotten it to the range (had a bunch of other longer term projects that finally finished up that I had to beat on first)...but I did get some new shoes in, curtesy of Altamont:

Attachment 98873

On the gun are the Altamonts, the smaller 2 finger grips are what were on it when I bought it, and the slightly more ergonomic industrial waste that is next to it is the alternate set of grips that came with it (the gun comes with both the short wood and full hand rubber/plastic).

The Altamonts btw are "Smith and Wesson K/L Round ALTAIŽ Super Rosewood Crocback/Stipple with Laser Logo & Label LCSW, Item# SKR-AL05-CB-M03L-M03N"

Edit - if I had to guess I'd say these were more L frame grips; the grips overhang the rear strap a bit. They fit, but my hands are IT person soft, so they might wind up digging in...nothing some sandpaper couldn't fix if it became an issue. I need to get this to the range and see how it does before anything else..

Site Supporter
    So I got mine out of background check jail today. The sight was also slightly canted. I loosened the elevation and then tightened it down the same amount of clicks. The sight was almost perfectly centered after that. I then did the same for the windage and it sat straight. I think they might be canted due to banging around in the box. I will see if it moves at all after a few shots of .357. I wasn't able to move it with my fingers, so I hope it will be more steady.

Have you done any shooting with yours yet @Evil_Ed?

Nice, glad that worked for you! I wish I had thought of that, but the whole thing (assembly included, the barrel, etc) looked canted on mine...

Sadly no, I haven't had a chance; nearest indoor range this time of year is an hour away in snowy armageddon and I just haven't had the time to get there and stay a while.

Ok, finally got it to the range, with the Altamont grips on.

Verdict - firstly, I need to learn how to shoot a revolver better, but be that as it may - the Altamonts LOOK pretty, but good lord are they painful with magnums.

Name:  IMG_1786-cropped.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  38.1 KB

I had fired 24 rounds of Remington bulk pack 130gr jacketed 38 Special; by the 2nd cylinder I was able to actually shoot at the part of the target I was aiming for; by the 3rd cylinder at ~25 feet I was able to put it into a nice baseball sized group in DA, which for me is pretty good considering the number of rounds I've fired through a revolver in my lifetime is less than 300. Ideally I'd like to get that same grouping at 25 yards, but baby steps...I'd settle for being able to draw and make hits at the same pace as an autoloader...anyway.

Then I decided to load it with some 125gr Magtech semi-jacketed magnums. Nothing special, plain old blue box cheapo stuff. The photo above was the result after 5 magnum rounds. I re-adjusted my grip so the ledge? was way more centered to the right in the web of my hand, fired the last round of magnum, then another 6 of specials...trigger reach was a little iffy but nothing that I don't think I could train into. Just...yow.

Anyway, I put on the gray industrial waste grips and next time I go to the range, I'll try those out. They don't look pretty but they're probably a lot more comfortable...worst case I'll buy a set of rubber Hogues. Those things could tame a small stick of dynamite.

Edited to add - am I happy with it otherwise? Yeah - you can tell the comp does some work, even with the 38s. Because this gun isn't an old 19 with the cut cone, if I ever get good enough to practice with magnums, I can do so without fear of cracking it in half or breaking it otherwise. The front sight with the night sight isn't exactly the brightest thing, but it's got some nice contrast and it works for what it is. I'm looking forward to getting some more time in with it and learning how to shoot these things better.

Site Supporter
    IME, the best grips I've found for shooting magnums in a K frame are the original Pachmayr Presentations, size small. Of course, they're discontinued, but they're available used on Numrich's website (I think). I believe that Pachmayr still offers the large size, but they're too big for me for DA shooting, and I'm 6'1" with average-size hands for my height. If your 19 is a round butt, the Pachmayr Compacts are even better. They're not as pretty or cool, but they work.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    IME, the best grips I've found for shooting magnums in a K frame are the original Pachmayr Presentations, size small. Of course, they're discontinued, but they're available used on Numrich's website (I think). I believe that Pachmayr still offers the large size, but they're too big for me for DA shooting, and I'm 6'1" with average-size hands for my height. If your 19 is a round butt, the Pachmayr Compacts are even better. They're not as pretty or cool, but they work.
    These grips?

Name:  IMG_1115.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  90.4 KB

My dad had a set on his 28 - they've been on there since the 70s when he bought it new...I have Hogues on my Colt Night Cobra, they're ok but they turn it from a more-or-less pocketable gun into something that really will only fit into a largish coat pocket now. They shoot nice but they're not "small"...

I'll keep an eye out for a set; I have XL hands but revolvers really aren't my thing so it's all trial and error for me

Site Supporter
    Those are the square butt Presentations. These are the round-butt Compacs.

Nice M28!

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Those are the square butt Presentations. These are the round-butt Compacs.

Nice M28!
    Name:  20191224_131127_HDR.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  105.0 KB

Most comfortable grips I've found.

Ahrends fit my hand so well that I can shoot 200 magnums without issue in a day.

Altama grips suck for me. They're way to thin at the top for my hands.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I like these:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...t-prod323.aspx

https://www.jackweigand.com/smith_we...ear_blade.html

If you are going to replace the blade yourself. You need the little parts kit

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...1-prod327.aspx

and driver-
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod25408.aspx

For whatever reason it's cheaper to buy a sight kit then the parts kit.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod15368.aspx

If it was new, I'd just make them fix it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Ok, finally got it to the range, with the Altamont grips on.

Verdict - firstly, I need to learn how to shoot a revolver better, but be that as it may - the Altamonts LOOK pretty, but good lord are they painful with magnums.

Name:  IMG_1786-cropped.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  38.1 KB

I had fired 24 rounds of Remington bulk pack 130gr jacketed 38 Special; by the 2nd cylinder I was able to actually shoot at the part of the target I was aiming for; by the 3rd cylinder at ~25 feet I was able to put it into a nice baseball sized group in DA, which for me is pretty good considering the number of rounds I've fired through a revolver in my lifetime is less than 300. Ideally I'd like to get that same grouping at 25 yards, but baby steps...I'd settle for being able to draw and make hits at the same pace as an autoloader...anyway.

Then I decided to load it with some 125gr Magtech semi-jacketed magnums. Nothing special, plain old blue box cheapo stuff. The photo above was the result after 5 magnum rounds. I re-adjusted my grip so the ledge? was way more centered to the right in the web of my hand, fired the last round of magnum, then another 6 of specials...trigger reach was a little iffy but nothing that I don't think I could train into. Just...yow.

Anyway, I put on the gray industrial waste grips and next time I go to the range, I'll try those out. They don't look pretty but they're probably a lot more comfortable...worst case I'll buy a set of rubber Hogues. Those things could tame a small stick of dynamite.

Edited to add - am I happy with it otherwise? Yeah - you can tell the comp does some work, even with the 38s. Because this gun isn't an old 19 with the cut cone, if I ever get good enough to practice with magnums, I can do so without fear of cracking it in half or breaking it otherwise. The front sight with the night sight isn't exactly the brightest thing, but it's got some nice contrast and it works for what it is. I'm looking forward to getting some more time in with it and learning how to shoot these things better.
    I have been doing the Great grip search for my M69. I have found with Altamont's, 3 sets now, I have had to massage the corners down to make them comfortable.

I do have a set of used compact Pachmayers and a new set of Hogue rubber no finger grooves. If you want to try them PM me your address and I will send them to you.

User Tag List