Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith Model 19 Carry Comp...sigh

To be a tiny bit fair to S&W, somehow I don't think that warped rear sights come up all that often...otherwise you'd think they'd have a gauge for it? Or maybe I'm just being really optimistic. I suppose it's also possible that whatever finish they put on the gun warped it a bit. The spec doc says the finish is "glassbead black" but I don't know if that means they beadblasted it then blued it, or if that's some trendy new DLC coloring, or what..

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    To be a tiny bit fair to S&W, somehow I don't think that warped rear sights come up all that often...otherwise you'd think they'd have a gauge for it? Or maybe I'm just being really optimistic. I suppose it's also possible that whatever finish they put on the gun warped it a bit. The spec doc says the finish is "glassbead black" but I don't know if that means they beadblasted it then blued it, or if that's some trendy new DLC coloring, or what..
    100% optimistic.

Gaps, poorly fitted sights, canted sights are exceedingly common on Smith revolvers at this point.

But folks can continue trying to convince themselves that Smith's revolver line is worth the trouble.

I guess gunsmiths need jobs too.

Site Supporter
    Unless you really want the adjustable sight for various loads, the C&S Extreme Duty Sights are really great sights.
    Name:  Model 69 Target.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  42.0 KBName:  F Comp Sparks Leather.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  82.7 KB
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

A race to the bottom with Taurus and Charter Arms.

Just send it back so S&W knows about the garbage that leaves the factory. Like anyone there cares.

I purchased my last new S&W revolver about 2007. The quality control wasn't great even then.

My cut off date for the purchase of any S&W revolver is 1985.

To be fair it's more time consuming to build revolvers and I'm sure the profit margin is much less than a striker. I would rather return to the old quality and pay an additional price for that but I'm sure they wouldn't sell enough to continue production.
    Last edited by Borderland; 11-10-2022 at 10:14 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    100% optimistic.

Gaps, poorly fitted sights, canted sights are exceedingly common on Smith revolvers at this point.

But folks can continue trying to convince themselves that Smith's revolver line is worth the trouble.

I guess gunsmiths need jobs too.
    Could be; I can count the number of revolvers I've purchased (or even shot) in my whole life on one hand...in fact, this makes revolver #4 that I've purchased, and ...hmm. I haven't actually shot this one yet, but when I do, it'll be revolver #5 that I've shot

My assumption is that Smith is the default for revolvers like Colt is the default for 1911s or AR15s. Not necessarily the best, but a known quantity that's done the same things the same ways for centuries at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Unless you really want the adjustable sight for various loads, the C&S Extreme Duty Sights are really great sights.
    Name:  Model 69 Target.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  42.0 KBName:  F Comp Sparks Leather.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  82.7 KB
    Since it looks like a carry gun what ammo do you carry in it?

Eta is that two different guns? The second one looks like a carry comp. Does it make much difference?
    Last edited by UNK; 11-10-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    Just my opinion...

Nobody needs to be "fair" to Smith & Wesson. They send out guns with issues that should never get past a legit QA/QC inspection process.

That sight was FUBAR when it left the "Pre-Formance" workshop because nobody bothered to actually do a proper inspection of the gun before sending it out.

Don't see how it could be possible that sight got damaged while attached to the gun without jacking up the top strap of the gun.

The same goofy shit happened with Remington after they ran off all their Old School guys with retirement packages and hired a bunch of don't know jack and don't care replacements.
    A few years back I saw an entire order of two dozen 14" 870P barrels with the front sights installed at about the 11:00 o'clock.

No doubt the QA/QC issues known and discussed on this forum are just a drop in the bucket.
    Last edited by tango-papa; 11-10-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Just my opinion...

Nobody needs to be "fair" to Smith & Wesson. They send out guns with issues that should never get past a legit QA/QC inspection process.

That sight was FUBAR when it left the "Pre-Formance" workshop because nobody bothered to actually do a proper inspection of the gun before sending it out.

Don't see how it could be possible that sight got damaged while attached to the gun without jacking up the top strap of the gun.

The same goofy shit happened with Remington after they ran off all their Old School guys with retirement packages and hired a bunch of don't know jack and don't care replacements.
    A few years back I saw an entire order of two dozen 14" 870P barrels with the front sights installed at about the 11:00 o'clock.

No doubt the QA/QC issues known and discussed on this forum are just a drop in the bucket.
    And there you have it. We don't care and you can try to get some satisfaction from customer service.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Maybe hiring Century's famous Crack Addled Monkey Front Sight Canters wasn't the soundest business decision?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My S&W revolver collection is down to 3 J frames. They’re all 100%. I’ve owned many perfect .357 S&W revolvers of recent manufacturer. Many have been sold here. ILS: three 686+, one 586. No lock: one M19, one M13, and a square butt M36 from 1957. I didn’t see anything wrong with the recently manufactured revolvers, but they were all purchased in person. I bring a loupe, feeler gauges, and a small straightedge whenI buy revolvers. Online purchases are a crap shoot with any manufacturer, except maybe Glock.

User Tag List