Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LawDog Atty Fee Fundraiser

Banned

And then there is this.....

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news...ooking-inmate/

Direct quote from Sheriff Duke:
    Duke said the incident was recorded, and because the abuse was so clear, McMurtrie was quickly placed on suspension and then retired within days.

For some of his 20 years with the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office, Duke said McMurtrie was in the Compliance Division, which ensures the jail stays in compliance with state standards of conditions and treatment.

“Such clear cases of improper actions cannot be tolerated,” Duke said.

LOL, what? The compliance guy? On camera? Jammed his fingers up some dude's nose. Then proceeded to fish hook him,etc,etc. The compliance guy. On camera.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, yep. Total railroad job.
    Last edited by c_rion; 11-10-2022 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Site Supporter
    Film determines outcome especially when the action questioned is out of bounds. And yes, grand juries will almost always indict in such cases. My sympathy for the Lt does not imply recommending his technique. I see a context where he resolved a problem. In the past, I've witnessed much worse. In today's world, when different races are involved in use of force incidents, increased scrutiny results with a predictable outcome. One event that I have observed in the deep South where I grew up is this: when a black jailer or cop uses non standard techniques on another black person, there seems to be small concern. In the infamous Louisiana prison Angola and in the infamous Mississippi prison Parchman, blacks compose most of the prison population. They also are a majority in the employee group. Inmate complaints in these shit holes seldom reach grand juries.

I seldom have seen correctional institutions that had competent leadership. Incompetent leaders, extreme employee turnover rate, and funding issues contribute to this undesirable situation. Several times I've witnessed an out of control inmate requiring 10 strong men to restrain them. If this event occurs in a med facility with few officers, need to control is imminently essential. Pepper spray is not a viable choice in a hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by c_rion View Post
    Unfortunately for you, "Those who have never supervised these type adult non compliant idiots might disagree" are the same "those" who will "disagree" while setting on the Grand Jury that indicts you, and the Court Jury that convicts you. After watching a video of you, over and over in every speed possible, using pliers on an inmate. LOL, good luck with that! Make sure you are white and he is Black for maximum effect and wow factor for the jury. This isn't 1975. Cameras are cheap, prolific, and everywhere you don't want them to be. You only have to forget that once while doing something stupid to end up like this guy.

As far as Lt. McMurtrie is concerned, Lt. Speegle, Sheriff Duke, and the DA all felt the incident was so far out of bounds that they sent it to the Grand Jury instead of handling it internally. That sounds less like a "railroad job" and more like a "Uh, this use of force was unlawful, looks really bad, its on film, and if it gets out that we knew about it and tried to cover it up,we will be up the creek with this guy. Better let the process deal with this one." The grand jury agreed. Lt. McMurtrie then tried to retire in lieu of suspension to try and avoid a "dishonorable discharge" with the LE licensing body in TX. I'm sure that will help him out with the jury. Unfortunately for Lt. McMurtrie he can now take a plea, or he can stand before a Judge and Jury and take his chances. If only their were rules and policies in place that outlined what force and techniques are accepted, defensible, and approved for use on non compliant jail inmates, and which techniques and what uses of force will get you charged and indicted. If only Lt. McMurtrie stayed within the bounds of that guidance, this indictment would have never happened. If only.
    Just curious if you have extensive experience dealing with prosecutors, grand juries, and use of force in law enforcement and correctional settings?

Or are you talking out of your ass?

Because it looks from here that you're talking out of your ass.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Just curious if you have extensive experience dealing with prosecutors, grand juries, and use of force in law enforcement and correctional settings?

Or are you talking out of your ass?

Because it looks from here that you're talking out of your ass.

Im sure that Lt. McMurtrie would have said the same exact thing to me on Jan 1st 2020. However, on Nov 10, 2022 Im sure he feels, differently. Mr. Rob, if you feel that jamming your fingers up some dudes nose on camera in the jail is what all of your years of experience doing whatever you do is the way to go, please, be my guest. Just don't be surprised about what happens afterward. Good luck with your fundraiser to fight the charges. Im sure your Sheriff will jump right in to back you up as well. Especially if you were at one point in the "Compliance Division". Please enjoy the rest of your day, Mr.Rob

Direct quote from Sheriff Duke:

Duke said the incident was recorded, and because the abuse was so clear, McMurtrie was quickly placed on suspension and then retired within days.

For some of his 20 years with the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office, Duke said McMurtrie was in the Compliance Division, which ensures the jail stays in compliance with state standards of conditions and treatment.

Last edited by c_rion; 11-10-2022 at 06:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately for you, "Those who have never supervised these type adult non compliant idiots might disagree" are the same "those" who will "disagree" while setting on the Grand Jury that indicts you, and the Court Jury that convicts you. After watching a video of you, over and over in every speed possible, using pliers on an inmate. LOL, good luck with that! Make sure you are white and he is Black for maximum effect and wow factor for the jury. This isn't 1975. Cameras are cheap, prolific, and everywhere you don't want them to be. You only have to forget that once while doing something stupid to end up like this guy.

As far as Lt. McMurtrie is concerned, Lt. Speegle, Sheriff Duke, and the DA all felt the incident was so far out of bounds that they sent it to the Grand Jury instead of handling it internally. That sounds less like a "railroad job" and more like a "Uh, this use of force was unlawful, looks really bad, its on film, and if it gets out that we knew about it and tried to cover it up,we will be up the creek with this guy. Better let the process deal with this one." The grand jury agreed. Lt. McMurtrie then tried to retire in lieu of suspension to try and avoid a "dishonorable discharge" with the LE licensing body in TX. I'm sure that will help him out with the jury. Unfortunately for Lt. McMurtrie he can now take a plea, or he can stand before a Judge and Jury and take his chances. If only their were rules and policies in place that outlined what force and techniques are accepted, defensible, and approved for use on non compliant jail inmates, and which techniques and what uses of force will get you charged and indicted. If only Lt. McMurtrie stayed within the bounds of that guidance, this indictment would have never happened. If only.
    Can you go back to where you came from? 4/7 posts in your time here is in this thread.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Banned
    double posted
    Last edited by c_rion; 11-10-2022 at 09:33 PM. Reason: double post

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Can you go back to where you came from? 4/7 posts in your time here is in this thread.
    Sure. The admin or mods of this forum can remove me at their leisure. I have no rights here. However, while your desire for me to stop saying things you do not like and only say things that align with your personal view of things may make you feel good while being a cheer leader for "your guy", it will not change the situation that the Lt. now finds himself in. He put himself in this situation. If you believe the jail Lt., the DA AND the Sheriff all conspired to railroad this guy, then that is your prerogative.

Site Supporter
    Sure. The admin or mods of this forum can remove me at their leisure. I have no rights here. However, while your desire for me to stop saying things you do not like and only say things that align with your personal view of things may make you feel good while being a cheer leader for "your guy", it will not change the situation that the Lt. now finds himself in. He put himself in this situation. If you believe the jail Lt., the DA AND the Sheriff all conspired to railroad this guy, then that is your prerogative.
    I guess objectively - I don’t know the details. Other than conjecture neither do you?

As Jim Curtis explained to me yesterday, it involved a very large inmate who was out of control and who had been arrested for assaulting an officer. I have read the news stories regarding LawDog’s arrest and the “excessive force” he used. It is total and utter bullshit. Indeed, the prisoner involved did not even file a complaint.
    Apparently the person in custody didn’t even file a complaint?

Is that true? Do you know?

I guess I just don’t know anything about you other than this has become your pet topic and it appears to be a large to-do about nothing?

Or do you know something else that you’re not sharing?

ETA:

My quotation comes from this article https://onlygunsandmoney.com/2022/11...-our-help.html
    God Bless,

Brandon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I guess objectively - I don’t know the details. Other than conjecture neither do you?

Apparently the person in custody didn’t even file a complaint?

Is that true? Do you know?

I guess I just don’t know anything about you other than this has become your pet topic and it appears to be a large to-do about nothing?

Or do you know something else that you’re not sharing?

ETA:

My quotation comes from this article https://onlygunsandmoney.com/2022/11...-our-help.html
    Once again, I will directly quote Sheriff Duke Himself. This is what he had to say when interviewed about this situation. If Sheriff Duke felt like the Lt. was so far out of bounds that he needed to be immediately suspended and the incident turned over to the DA to go in front of a Grand Jury, I am inclined to believe him.

The Lt. didn't just normally retire and then just months later get charged out of the blue because of "politics". The Lt. was going to be immediately suspended because of his actions and tried to quickly retire to avoid the suspension and repercussions of his actions. Thats not quite how the blog you quoted presents his retirement and "political" prosecution. The Lt. knew what was coming and tried to avoid it by retiring. That didn't work out the way he thought it would.

Sheriff Duke does not tolerate misbehavior by his deputies. Here is another jail deputy that got sideways with Sheriff Duke.
    https://www.timesrecordnews.com/stor...ng/6836597001/
    Last edited by c_rion; 11-10-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Site Supporter
    Once again, I will directly quote Sheriff Duke Himself. This is what he had to say when interviewed about this situation. If Sheriff Duke felt like the Lt. was so far out of bounds that he needed to be immediately suspended and the incident turned over to the DA to go in front of a Grand Jury, I am inclined to believe him.

Sheriff Duke does not tolerate misbehavior by his deputies. Here is another jail deputy that got sideways with Sheriff Duke.
    https://www.timesrecordnews.com/stor...ng/6836597001/
    Same article where the dude assaulted multiples officers, grabbed a taser (perhaps additional weapons?), and had four counts of aggravated assault against a public servant?

That inmate was arrested on a charge of resisting arrest and trying to take a weapon from an officer at the hospital on the same date as McMurtrie’s alleged abuse. Affidavits state the inmate grabbed an officer’s taser and pointed it at an officer and also at hospital security.

A separate officer then fired his taser at the suspect, but the suspect continued struggling and was eventually subdued by several officers.

Four counts of aggravated assault against a public servant were also filed but later dismissed
    Did you even read the article before you took this guy’s side?

So he put his elbow in his back and fingers in his nose.

Honestly, your research has solidified my stance on the matter. Stephanie should’ve shared your article to begin with.

ETA: He was resisting after being tasered - so it sounds like he was 100% non-compliant and motivated. So, it seems Law Dog in a separate incident (same evening) did what he had to to get the guy under control.
    God Bless,

Brandon

User Tag List