Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Police to get new service weapons following accidental discharges & lawsuit

Milwaukee Police to get new service weapons following accidental discharges & lawsuit

https://wtmj.com/news/2022/10/31/mil...arges-lawsuit/

MILWAUKEE- Every single member of the Milwaukee Police Department that carries a service weapon will have their current model exchanged for a new one over the next several months.

The City of Milwaukee, MPD, and the Milwaukee Police Association held a press conference Monday afternoon in which they announced that the current Sig Sauer p320 will be swapped for a Glock model. Three members of the police department were accidentally shot and wounded after a holstered service weapon accidentally discharged. All the officers wounded are expected to make full recoveries.

“These unexplained discharges are a serious concern for our members and just as concerning for our members,” Milwaukee Police Chief Jeffrey Norman said.

The cost of the transition will be roughly $450,000. Funding for the transition will come from the MPD’s asset forfeiture fund as well as left over funding from the department’s last firearm transition.

Norman says transitioning service weapons isn’t as easy as swapping out one model for another.

“All parties involved need to agree on what the next move is,” Norman said. “We are a large agency and there are challenges within the bureaucracy, a lot of people need to make decisions on this.”

The transition is expected to take several months between the ordering of the new guns, the delivery of the new service weapons and the training of officers on how to use it. Norman says he expects the transition to be complete sometime in 2023.

During today’s announcement, Milwaukee Police Association President Andrew Wagner said his organization was planning on dropping its lawsuit against the city over the continued use of the Sig Sauer.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    That sucks. It strange it seems isolated to the P320’s.

God knows there’s tons of 365’s out there.
    God Bless,

Brandon

I hope DoD is paying attention. We've sunk millions into the 320 variants.

Not my story to tell, so I won't go into details. A friend of mine had his 320 discharge in it's holster. Video review showed no fault of the shooter.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    That sucks. It strange it seems isolated to the P320’s.

God knows there’s tons of 365’s out there.
    It does give me some hesitation carrying a 365, justified or not.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    It does give me some hesitation carrying a 365, justified or not.
    Depends on how many of these are legitimate mechanical discharges where the trigger wasn't touched (which has yet to be demonstrated by a 365) and just how many of these recent P320 LEO ADs are an object or finger in a tussle getting into the large mouth of the WML OWB holster and pulling the light short trigger with no trigger safety. I'm sure that's at least some of the ADs and a P365 doesn't fall far from the tree there, though a non wml holster close to the body and very safe re holstering practices will help you a lot.

It’s an overly complicated design, should just quietly let it die and use the P365 FCU and design.

Really stupid question- how much would a mechanical safety help with these discharges? Any at all? Asking as someone carrying a P320 and P365 regularly (but with a safety)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Really stupid question- how much would a mechanical safety help with these discharges? Any at all? Asking as someone carrying a P320 and P365 regularly (but with a safety)

See my post above- it would depend on how many are discharges from something touching the trigger in the large WML holster, and how many are true and blue mechanical discharges. Both have happened with the 320.

A safety helps a lot with #1. But the safety does not affect the zero trigger contact discharges of 2014-2019 P320s. See the 50 page P320 lawsuit thread for great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    It’s an overly complicated design, should just quietly let it die and use the P365 FCU and design.
    They can't. They've signed too many contracts with too many slow-moving bureaucracies to "quietly let it die." The product is writ in stone now. It'll get the full-on SA-80 treatment if it has to.

User Tag List