Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just how accurate can you get with pistol loads?

Just how accurate can you get with pistol loads?

I have been reloading for years and years. I am not a brand new reloader by any means but I am always up to learn new things. That said, specific to the competitors and other like minded people, how far do you do go for pistol ammo? Just how accurate can you get?

I reload a lot of rifle stuff and I've gotten various loads down to sub quarter minute (for example), but when I reload pistol ammo I have always just loaded it like plain old bulk ammo with mixed brass.

Just out of curiosity though, does anyone here try to chase accuracy specifically in pistol ammo to any meaningful level? If so how much difference would doing that really make?

I've been thinking about buying some new 9mm brass and more specifically I've been considering buying like 5k-10K matching brass and get rid of my mixed brass once I shoot through my current stock. I have been thinking about doing that for at least a year or two but I put it aside because components are not as easy to get.

My current pistol reloads always fit in the gun and always go bang when I pull the trigger. They definitely shoot (and always have). That's not my question at all. However about a month ago I was zeroing a red dot so I used a shooting bag to steady my pistol and I was seeing quite a few flyers in that process, especially at longer distances (25++ yards and beyond). In my mind I have been thinking that using standard brass would eliminate some of that but who knows if it even matters. That whole zeroing that red dot process got me to thinking about the brass thing again (mainly out of curiosity).

On the other hand if I am getting random flyers it has the potential to make me second guess myself when it comes to trying to improve my shooting skill.

Just thought I would throw it out there and see what others do (if anything at all) and see what others experiences are.

I chased accuracy some early on in my reloading, because I found my rounds weren't as accurate as I liked at longer distances like 25 to 30 yards.

My accuracy standard is 2" at 25 yards for 10-round groups with my Glocks (My Gen4's I used for testing are re-barreled). My CZ Shadow can do 1.5" at 25 yards for 10-round groups. I can't shoot any better than that, so the gun/loads might be more capable, but I can't extract the potential.

I've been toying with the idea of a Ransom Rest and 50-yard testing, but have not gone that route.

For the type of accuracy above, mixed range brass, any primer I can find, N340 and a Precision Delta 124 gr JHP get me there. WSF is good too, but don't think it's made any longer and it cuts the cost a penny or two. Used to cost about ~$0.14 EA, not factoring in any brass costs, now more like ~$0.22 EA.

New brass and a Hornady bullet can shave a bit (~.25") off of that, but for me, it's not worth the trade offs in cost. If I were shooting regularly at 50+ yards, I might feel differently.

When I was shooting Bianchi Cup, the gold standard for high end open and metallic guns was groups under 1 inch at 50 yards from a rest. I've seen handguns get under 0.75 under those conditions as well, but at that point you're talking about building loads specifically for your one gun that's also built to be as accurate as possible.

I have wondered about it, more so as a comparison to my "normal" reloads.
    I just got a pistol setup with an SRO, so I have been thinking about it again, without an optic my eyes would make the experiment pointless.
    My 5" M&P is shooting well, but I have an Apex barrel on backorder, I had been planning to do a comparison when I got it. Perhaps I should buy some new cases and expand the experiment?...

If I wanted best accuracy from a good 9mm, I would use same lot brass and a good JHP. Hornady XTP or HAP and the similar looking Zero Conical. But what I had back when we had a Ransom Rest were Sierra, Remington, and some good cast bullets.
    I don't know how strong an effect powder and primer have, VV N320 did well, but I did not shoot a lot of it vs 231.

My best .45 was more accurate than the only 9mm 1911oid I had at the time and the best barrel for my High Standard was excellent. Both were just larger than the X ring at 50 yards, say 1.6". One of those old High Standard Military grip .22s would let you know if you had a good setup in the Ransom or a good hold off sandbags.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    It is interesting me that certain calibers are typically accurate in most platforms.

I consistently hear .45 ACP is one of the most accurate in Glocks, M&P’s, H&K’s, and 1911’s. Is it that there is more surface area (wider projectile) to apply rifling / spin to or something else? It could be me seeing something anecdotally that doesn’t line up. But this has always been a curiosity to me.
    God Bless,

Brandon

10-shot group of 9mm Parabellum 125 grain HAP at 25 yards. Extreme spread = 0.413"

Member of the General Population

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    10-shot group of 9mm Parabellum 125 grain HAP at 25 yards. Extreme spread = 0.413"

Platform? I'm a tad confused about the 125gr HAPs - is .356 OK for use in 9mm Luger reloads?

Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    10-shot group of 9mm Parabellum 125 grain HAP at 25 yards.
    Wow.... Out of what pistol? Optic?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm a tad confused about the 125gr HAPs - is .356 OK for use in 9mm Luger reloads?
    Yes.

Member of the General Population

User Tag List