Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Better Stoeger with Stoeger’s Own Parts

Building a Better Stoeger with Stoeger’s Own Parts

With the apparent success of the Stoeger M3000, as documented by a user here and others that I have spoken to off p-f, I wondered if Stoeger’s equivalent pump gun, the P3000 could pull off the same success, or maybe close. Stoeger’s Freedom Series shotguns are well kitted for their task. Increased capacity and decent sights already being taken care of by the manufacturer. If the guns run, and turns out to be durable, I think they stand a chance. There is really robust parts support for the 3000 series guns. Only thing that is really missing is a decent forend to allow lights to be mounted.

The Freedom Series Supreme (FSS) version of the P3000 also comes with an adjustable, side folding stock. All the dudes here at p-f are probably smart enough to know that is just a stupid idea, but I guess whoever is in charge of this stuff at Stoeger missed the memo. On paper, maybe it sounds cool, but the execution is really poor. The stock’s adjustment range is 14” to about 17”. I am a big dude, but even I don’t need a 17” LOP. The folding mechanism is also really bulky and odd too. It gets in the way of how the hand should interface with the grip. It is really an abomination of a stock, not even designed for the P3000. It is an ATI stock that I am pretty certain is intended for a Ruger 10/22, mated to the P3000 through what looks like a 3D printed stock adapter.

Name:  AACC716E-7105-482F-93FE-0D2F53264DE7.jpeg
Views: 2408
Size:  60.3 KB

Other than the stock, the P3000 FSS isn’t a horrible gun. Fixing the stock would take it quite a ways down the road. Stoeger makes a compact stock for the M3000. It cost about $60 and has a 13” LOP. Stoeger also makes an extended safety button for the M3K that cost about $18. There are also stock adapters for the M3000 to run Magpul SGA stocks from MOA Precision and S&J Hardware. Both MOA Precision and S&J Hardware say that their stock adapters fit both the M3000 and P3000. A smart person might learn that and just decide to run an adapter and Magpul SGA. I never claimed to be smart though. I wanted to know if Stoeger already had the parts to make a baller shotgun and for some reason decided not to. I zipped an e-mail off to Stoeger’s tech support to see if the compact stock for the M3000 would fit the P3000. Official answer was no, it wouldn’t, although the reason why it wouldn’t seemed pretty slim. I didn’t bother asking about the extended safety button.

I opted to ignore the advice from Stoeger’s tech guys and try the compact stock anyway. Turns out, it is a perfect fit. Who would have thought. The LOP is now right at 13”, which is exactly where I want it.

Name:  F98C292C-612D-4206-A3DB-0CC219F85B53.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  64.7 KB

The safety is also a perfect fit, and relatively easy to install. Works similarly to the safety on an 870. Punch a pin, remove spring, remove safety, put new safety in, return spring, return pin.

Name:  6405579B-B789-4ED6-B144-1299419231A9.jpg
Views: 2131
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  A992023A-7F5B-4F88-B28B-53EE456FAB37.jpg
Views: 2153
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  9664BE3F-E15A-434F-A75F-7C53FDFE9F37.jpg
Views: 2199
Size:  50.4 KB

Why Stoeger didn’t make this gun from the start is beyond me. It is a rather well kitted for a “budget” oriented defensive gun. So far I am about 300 rounds in, no issues with function or durability yet. If it holds together, it may turn into the gun I campaign through classes next year to see how well it holds up.

Name:  919536FB-5C4D-49E8-90FC-4AB6A88A1B5F.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  69.7 KB

Next up is figuring out what to do about the plastic rear sight assembly, and see if an extended M3000 lifter will work on the P3000 too. I have a hunch many of the internal components are the same between the two guns.
    Last edited by 167; 11-07-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Subscribed.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Great report.
    I’ve been pretty tempted to try a M3000 Defense. They are pretty reasonably priced even here in Canada
    Of course it would also require a youth stock as the pistol grip stock it comes with is wretched and way too long

Update

This gun made it through a Symtac Consulting Shotgun Skills class with one malfunction in nearly 400 rounds fired at the class. Early in second day, while shooting two round strings two rounds of Fiocchi birdshot tried to feed from the magazine tube at once. I was able to clear the malfunction without tools while standing on the line and continued the drill. That was the only notable issue.

The gun turned in a 6.23 raw time on Symtac’s skill drill. I dropped a point though, so officially a 7.23. It made it to the final round of the man vs man shoot off in a class dominated by 1301’s. I missed the win because my side saddle reload couldn’t quite keep pace with a well executed match saver reload. Close, but not quite there.

As currently configured the only non-Stoeger parts on the gun are a S&J Hardware follower and a GG&G QD sling mount. Everything else is Stoeger’s own parts still. Additions that may be coming soon are a stock adapter to run a Magpul SGA and a red dot. Because why not.

In total, I am about 700 rounds in on this gun. My hope is to get it to 1,000 rounds soon, then take it on to a few thousand by the end of the year.

Name:  7574CFC9-BAEF-4846-BFAE-3AEDF7551EF8.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  21.8 KB

I really enjoy your posts on shotguns here and your blog. Thank you.

I was legitimately impressed by how well it ran this weekend. It seemed smooth and you certainly ran it like a boss all weekend. Having gotten just a little time to handle it, my only real issue was how tight the loading port is, especially for guys like us with big/thick thumbs. It felt a lot like trying to load a lever gun through a King's gate. I presume you could open it up perhaps?

Also, the fact that you ran the Skills Gauge that fast with three cloverleafed slug hits on the 10y torso shots was downright impressive, even with the single dropped point elsewhere. I think you've got a good chance at a coin the next time

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    Update

This gun made it through a Symtac Consulting Shotgun Skills class with one malfunction in nearly 400 rounds fired at the class. Early in second day, while shooting two round strings two rounds of Fiocchi birdshot tried to feed from the magazine tube at once. I was able to clear the malfunction without tools while standing on the line and continued the drill. That was the only notable issue.

The gun turned in a 6.23 raw time on Symtac’s skill drill. I dropped a point though, so officially a 7.23. It made it to the final round of the man vs man shoot off in a class dominated by 1301’s. I missed the win because my side saddle reload couldn’t quite keep pace with a well executed match saver reload. Close, but not quite there.

As currently configured the only non-Stoeger parts on the gun are a S&J Hardware follower and a GG&G QD sling mount. Everything else is Stoeger’s own parts still. Additions that may be coming soon are a stock adapter to run a Magpul SGA and a red dot. Because why not.

In total, I am about 700 rounds in on this gun. My hope is to get it to 1,000 rounds soon, then take it on to a few thousand by the end of the year.

Name:  7574CFC9-BAEF-4846-BFAE-3AEDF7551EF8.jpg
Views: 1759
Size:  21.8 KB

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Was it the class Larry Correia went to this weekend?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Was it the class Larry Correia went to this weekend?
    Indeed the same.

The final of the man v man at the Symtac class. I made it by a 590, a M4, and a 1301 to get to the final. The match saver is finally what got me.

Since the reload is what beat me, I started working on some tweaks. Ran these port loads today. Some of the fastest I have pulled off.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    The final of the man v man at the Symtac class. I made it by a 590, a M4, and a 1301 to get to the final. The match saver is finally what got me.

Since the reload is what beat me, I started working on some tweaks. Ran these port loads today. Some of the fastest I have pulled off.

Albert was a major-league sleeper. He just stayed quiet all class, absorbed what was taught, practiced it, and by the end of the weekend his proficiency with that matchsaver went from OK to great. I watched him do some loads from it on the morning of day 1 and there was definitely some fumbling going on. But as we saw in your video, by Sunday afternoon he had it pretty well dialed in. It was a great final four, honestly.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

User Tag List