Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a Better Stoeger with Stoeger’s Own Parts

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    Albert was a major-league sleeper. He just stayed quiet all class, absorbed what was taught, practiced it, and by the end of the weekend his proficiency with that matchsaver went from OK to great. I watched him do some loads from it on the morning of day 1 and there was definitely some fumbling going on. But as we saw in your video, by Sunday afternoon he had it pretty well dialed in. It was a great final four, honestly.
    He was like an assassin, sent to slay the giants. 🤣🤣

Pretty sure that is the first time I have been at a class and I wasn’t even close to the tallest dude there.
    Last edited by 167; 03-19-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Really slick emergency loads. I had to slow down the video on youtube to see exactly what you were doing on the first one. I'm going to give that a try in my dry fire this week.

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    He was like an assassin, sent to slay the giants. 🤣🤣

Pretty sure that is the first time I have been at a class and I wasn’t even close to the tallest dude there.
    I'm pretty sure we had at least four people over 6'5"

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

I’ve always ran my front two rounds brass up assuming it was a faster port load. After watching you, now I’m not sure. Guess I gotta bust out the shot timer, cause your loads are smooooth.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I’ve always ran my front two rounds brass up assuming it was a faster port load. After watching you, now I’m not sure. Guess I gotta bust out the shot timer, cause your loads are smooooth.
    I was the same, I used to always run brass up and reload over the top of the gun. Then I saw a video of Tim Chandler running reloads underneath the gun really quickly and changed my mind about reloads. In my experience it takes more work to run reloads underneath the gun, but I do think there is a time advantage if reloading the gun while it is still mounted in the shoulder.

@167 based on what you've experienced so far, would you recommend the P3000 with the changes you've made or a police trade in 870 for the average person looking for a defensive shotgun? Or is there not enough difference between them for the average person to notice?

What about the person with a sort of vetted early-00s 870 who has considered having it d&t for a dot mount and maybe a trip to WC for the Remington Steal package even though it's seen less than 250 rounds in the 20 years the person has owned it (because I can't leave well enough alone ) ?

Also, who is making an adapter for the Magpul stock?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @167 based on what you've experienced so far, would you recommend the P3000 with the changes you've made or a police trade in 870 for the average person looking for a defensive shotgun? Or is there not enough difference between them for the average person to notice?

What about the person with a sort of vetted early-00s 870 who has considered having it d&t for a dot mount and maybe a trip to WC for the Remington Steal package even though it's seen less than 250 rounds in the 20 years the person has owned it (because I can't leave well enough alone ) ?

Also, who is making an adapter for the Magpul stock?
    There are pros and cons to each. The P3000 has better parts support, and Stoeger tech support has been pretty responsive. I personally put a lot of value in both of those. The 870 still has one thing the Stoeger doesn’t have, decades of widespread service and use in large organizations. My P3000 is a sample of one, and could be a fluke. I would put my P3000 up against any 870. I am not sure I would go so far as to recommend the P3000 in general to users who are new to shotguns and not as tuned in for what to watch for.

If you already have an 870 and are debating dropping some big money on it, that gets a little more nuanced. If you want a gun to beat on, get the P3000 and toss a couple upgrades at it. If you want a highly refined heavily gunsmithed shotty that screams performance, stick with the 870 and send it to Vang.

S&J Hardware and MOA Precision both make stock adapters for the P3000. I have not used either yet (it will come eventually), but know they exist. S&J has helped me out with some parts here and there, and I have ordered other parts from them, so I am biased in their direction. I have not ordered anything from MOA yet. Their triggers look interesting though. 🤔🤔

https://sjhardware.us/product-catego...eger-shotguns/

https://moaprecisionllc.com/product/...pul-sga-stock/

The factory compact stock is available from Midwest Gun Works.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/33599

Thanks for the info, it gives me something to chew on and for the links! I suspect I’ll end up with the Stoeger and an A300UP before I do anything with the 870 because it’s just nowhere near the top of my project list.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by 167 View Post
    S&J Hardware and MOA Precision both make stock adapters for the P3000. I have not used either yet (it will come eventually), but know they exist. S&J has helped me out with some parts here and there, and I have ordered other parts from them, so I am biased in their direction. I have not ordered anything from MOA yet. Their triggers look interesting though. 🤔🤔
    FWIW I ordered the MOA stock adapter for my Stoeger M3K and it blends the action and Magpul stock like they were made for each other. On a side note I ordered some other parts from MOA with the understanding that they were then currently out of stock. When they shipped the owner threw in a reduced power action spring freebee because HE thought he took too long to get my order shipped.

The P3000 bumped just over the 1,000 round mark today. Nothing has broken, everything is still tight, only one malfunction.

These are some of the last rounds through the gun on the way to 1,000.

My port loads are getting faster too. These are personal best times, and were pretty repeatable with the adjustments I have made. I still have to think about what I am doing to pull it off, so there is still more work to be done.

User Tag List