Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Recommendations

Knife Recommendations

Hey all,

I’m looking for a smaller fixed blade to be carried in the waistband for weapon retention purposes as well as being an option for gym clothes when I don’t have my gun. It won’t be used for general purposes. I’m very new to the knife world. I really like the Dynamis SMR blade due to its size, profile, and being able to transition seamlessly to a gun. However, it seems overpriced for what it is. Is it or is it a good buy? Any other recommendations?

Shivworks Clinch Pick + training [/thread]

"The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Shivworks Clinch Pick + training [/thread]

The only issue with the clinch pick is that the sheath requires a belt. It would be awesome if there was a DCC clip designed for it.

Site Supporter
    Dark Star Gear offers a vertical sheath for the Clinch Pick. It's also possible to just add a clip to the Clinch Pick sheath and keep it horizontal.

https://darkstargear.com/product/cp-clip/
    Last edited by Crashpad; 11-07-2022 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats037 View Post
    The only issue with the clinch pick is that the sheath requires a belt. It would be awesome if there was a DCC clip designed for it.
    Pretty straightforward to put a clip on; or just get the vertical sheath from dark star and call it good.

I was gifted an SMR blade and it’s kind of a farce to be honest.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I've done it
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

I’m looking for a smaller fixed blade to be carried in the waistband for weapon retention purposes as well as being an option for gym clothes when I don’t have my gun. It won’t be used for general purposes. I’m very new to the knife world. I really like the Dynamis SMR blade due to its size, profile, and being able to transition seamlessly to a gun. However, it seems overpriced for what it is. Is it or is it a good buy? Any other recommendations?
    Name:  da-smr.1.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  10.9 KB

I've never handled one of these, but I can already tell I hate it. There's only one way to grip it, and that requires your hand to be in just the right place. A few years ago, I took a seminar that involved smearing KY jelly (as a blood stimulant) on your hands during defensive knife drills. People whose knives couldn't be gripped well no matter how they were oriented had problems. Finger holes and bare metal were outright dangerous.

And WTF is up with the bottle opener??? Like I'm going to draw my defensive blade to open a beer? Really?

Two words: Clinch. Pick.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I’ve bought too many blades. If you have lots of cash, the AMTAC offerings or a Rat from Harley Elmore are amazing.

The answer here for most budgets is the clinch pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Name:  da-smr.1.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  10.9 KB

I've never handled one of these, but I can already tell I hate it.
    I’ll send you mine if you want to confirm your initial feelings. Again, it was a gift but a CP, CRKT neck knife, etc, etc, is light years better for any conceivable use. I like my other Dynamis blades but the SMR seems like a “free time in the shop” project gone bad.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Others have covered it.

Clinch Pick.

Save a considerable pile pennies for training on the same, ideally from someone who understands the design (Craig, obviously, but also guys like Cecil Burch or Chris Fry).
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List