Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trigger finger placement vs Grip

Trigger finger placement vs Grip

I have been having some issues since switching to a G17 on October. I will occasionally throw shots to the left, consistently but will have few issues WHO or SHO.

Diagnosis #1 from a trusted SME was not enough trigger finger. Focusing on more finger yielded positive results until it didn't. Adding more finger seems to be no longer working.

Diagnosis #2 from a trusted different SME was to use less finger and shift my hand on the frame. This sort of worked until it resulted in a very inconsistent master grip and creates a lot of space under the gun hand.

Personal diagnosis is to grip the hell outta the gun and it seems to work slightly better with the pad of the finger like I used with my M&P and my standard grip, basically throwing what two different guys told me.

Thoughts?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

What connector are you using? If still a std 5.5 then try the dot. If already a dot, try the minus. Did you see Hilton Yam's new column about his like of the M&P? He discusses Glocks and says no way does the 5.5 provide a 5.5lb trigger. Instead he says they'll range 1-3 lbs heavier . . . and he's talking about Gen 3.

http://10-8performance.blogspot.com/...i-shoot-m.html

Almost everybody who does any really fancy shooting with a Glock has done some connector changing. Kyle Defoor, TigerSwan staff, TLG one would have to say, etc.

I use the crease of the 1st joint and I grip pretty hard. But I the energy of the grip primarily into the strong hand index finger and thumb - choking the grip up high. As though it was a G26. I got this tip off GT years ago and it finally helped "consistently suppress" (it always lurks in remission) the pushed left phenom. I presume by keeping the ring and esp the pinkie from interferring.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-21-2012 at 06:16 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Also, a former Ranger, former LEO and now private security contractor friend just mentioned a tip he got from the AMU down at Benning. Rather than squeezing the grip like we do a baseball bat, they said they work to press straight back into the palm like in a lever motion. Fingers levering back into the palm. He demo'd. Made sense in explaining how to press grip straight back. Can't find better words than that at the moment.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Assuming your finger is properly positioned, so you are not contacting the frame as you manipulate the trigger, I associate pushing shots left (RH shooter) with insufficient support hand grip pressure?

I'm not sure a lighter trigger is the answer... I find that the more rolly the trigger (as in rolling break style) the less likely I am to throw shots left. The dot connector seems to have the most roll in it out of the OEM glock connectors that I've tried and is considerably more rolly than the minus connector I sampled. With a rolling break style trigger it helps me to have a bit more finger on the trigger than say my M&P with Apex or a 1911. The other advantage of using a little more finger on the glock is that I find myself engaging the trigger safety with much more consistency. When I try and and use the tip of my finger like on my other platforms I'm much more likely to miss the trigger safety and be pulling on an immovable object. This happens even more often if I'm rushing.

To practice breaking a rolling trigger without pulling shots left I try and ignore the fact that there is a wall in the trigger pull. I try and focus strictly on more pressure, more pressure, more pressure, and more extension, more extension, more extension... until it seems like the shot just breaks the moment my arms hit full extension. Thus trying to sync in my muscle memory pressure vs. extension. Instead of trigger travel distance vs. extension. The better you get at smoothly continuing to add pressure through the wall, as opposed to against the wall the more you'll see your shots centering up.

I just read through this post... And I'm not sure I made any sense. But these things have helped me with the glock trigger to the point that I already shoot it considerably better in 1000 rounds than my M&P with 2500. As always, YMMV!
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Assuming your finger is properly positioned, so you are not contacting the frame as you manipulate the trigger, I associate pushing shots left (RH shooter) with insufficient support hand grip pressure?
    This seemed to be more consistent solution tried, combined with the pad placement that gave me zero issues with on the M&P.

I will spend some time in the AM tomorrow and give it a shot with a clear brain.

Re connectors: While one connector over the other may be more preferable to shoot I believe that I should be able to shoot any stock Glock configuration at the rate of fire I am having issues with and not have any concerns. Sure a rolling break might be better if I am doing a pressout and a lighter pull might be better as well but I don't believe the out of the box configuration to be incredibly limiting or the source of my issues. I will save gear exploration for a point when this issue is resolved.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

From what I understand, in almost all the relatively recently manufactured glocks the dot connector IS the stock connector.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

And why you don't (OP) see this exhibited SHO and WHO? Unless it's just that those are so much harder that they focus the mind better and those presses are done more carefully.

Thoughts from Paul Gomez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahYMhDQtOA

Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post
    From what I understand, in almost all the relatively recently manufactured glocks the dot connector IS the stock connector.
    I got a standard 5.5 in my FDE Gen 3 G17. Gen 4's all got the dot.

User Tag List