Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw stroke: flagged thumb catches garment

Draw stroke: flagged thumb catches garment

This happen to anyone else once in a while? I carry AIWB these days, but I remember it happening a couple of times from 3-4 o'clock. I've cleared my garment and gotten a nice solid fistful of gun. My thumb is flagged, which is faster and more consistent, IME, than digging it between the gun and my skin. So far, so good, my SH grip is solid, the gun's coming up towards the front of my face, I'm starting to bring in my focus in anticipation of a front sight coming into view... when BAM!! My thumb gets all tangled in the cover garment and this well-rehearsed ballet of a draw stroke turns into a bunch of white dudes at a salsa lesson. (Present company excluded, of course. )

It doesn't happen very often, just enough to annoy the snot out of me when it does. It happens with certain "floppy" kinds of cover garments more than others - unfortunately, the floppy garments tend to conceal really well. Will this happen less and less with practice? Any tips or tricks to make it go away? I can't be the only one this happens to...?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

This happens to me sometimes. The key to preventing it is a crisp and full motion in clearing the garment with the support hand. If it does happen, I tend to go with it. It's kind of like using a rifle sling for support. I have the gun pressed forward nearly at extension, with my [EDIT: strong hand] thumb hooked on the shirt, stretching it forward (stretchy shirt might really be helping me here), helping to hold the gun in a taught position, and continuing the shooting process. Not ideal, but does not prevent me from shooting reasonably well. Just apply more intention in clearing the shirt and it will happen less or not at all.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 10-09-2012 at 12:01 PM.

What seems to work for me is the following. I grab my shirt at the 12 o'clock position and on the way up, move it slightly to the left. (I am right handed). This helps pull any extra material away from the centerline. For example with a T-shirt I may only go straight up. With a baggy hoodie, I may pull it over to the 10 o'clock position and release. For me, this seems to work well in solving the challenge you describe.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    This happen to anyone else once in a while? I carry AIWB these days, but I remember it happening a couple of times from 3-4 o'clock. I've cleared my garment and gotten a nice solid fistful of gun. My thumb is flagged, which is faster and more consistent, IME, than digging it between the gun and my skin. So far, so good, my SH grip is solid, the gun's coming up towards the front of my face, I'm starting to bring in my focus in anticipation of a front sight coming into view... when BAM!!
    That's really an intermediate level flagging. The advanced one is where you scratch your lower face with a flagged thumb...

Every time I push my speed draw in practice, I get a couple of these. It is almost invariably due to poor garment clearance by a support hand, as OrigamiAK alluded to.

We are diminished
    I pull my cover shirt all the way up to where my support (left) hand will come into contact with the gun. That clears more than enough space for me to draw unhindered. In fact, there have been a few times where I literally punched myself in the chin doing this...

I do like Todd says, but I am working on clearing with the strong hand. Since having a kid, the odds of a one-handed draw have gone up precipitously.

One handed clearance sucks, btw. I can't /believe/ I haven't pitched a gun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

We are diminished
    Vinh needs to make a video of his technique. It's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Vinh needs to make a video of his technique. It's awesome.
    Yeah, it's funny because it never happens SHO - I use Vihn's technique for that. I'll try CCT125US' technique of pulling the garment towards the WH side to snug up some extra material - that sounds promising for what's specifically happening to me.

And thanks for all the answers, guys. I feel a lot better knowing that I've never scratched or punched myself in the face during a draw... yet.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

We are diminished
    I feel a lot better knowing that I've never scratched or punched myself in the face during a draw... yet.
    That's nothing. A while back in one of the press-out threads, someone (since departed from our forum) made a reference to about me picking my nose with my rear sight or something like that during my press-out. One of the first times I drew my 1911, I literally hooked my right nostril with the beavertail. Luckily it was dry fire because I was laughing so hard I very well may have AD'd.

I'll try CCT125US' technique of pulling the garment towards the WH side to snug up some extra material
    That's what I do, and why. It's less about getting material away from centerline than it is about pulling it tight once it's lifted, so that there's nothing flapping and flailing about.....except me.

User Tag List