Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neutral grip all the things! Making 1911s point like CZs…

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    If I had a 1911 it would probably get the arched version. I say that because I don't like the straight backstrap on Berettas. This is my M9A3 w/ half of the conversion grip on it to show the difference.Attachment 96781
    I could get used to the flat back but since my other pistols are 92s, or have a similar arched shape, I don't want to change for just one gun. A couple months ago I got an all steel 92 w/ the flat back. This is my 2nd stage prototype of making a filler piece so I can run the arched grip panels. I warmed up a piece of .100 kydex and molded it over the frame of hump back 92.
    Attachment 96782
    None of this is a huge deal but I found that when I do a quick presentation w/ the flat back, the gun is aiming a little low. With the arched back the sights are right on.
    Nice work!

I thought about overlaying Kydex to a Prodigy rear to change the point.

If the arched strap doesn’t work I might add polymer to the existing MSH on my Ruger 1911.

I’ve been all about the arched mainspring housing since day 1 (circa 1992).

When the Vertec came out and was all the rage, I was still much preferring the standard 92 (well, more so the Elite).

I am and have been 100% arched mainsprings housings since a GM, Jeff Cramblitt, that I took a couple of pistol classes from in the late 90's helped me understand I simply got my index faster with one in place and it always helped me put my finger in the right place.

Only exception for me was for 2011's which are a different animal of course. The Rock River Poly's girth is similar to the 2011 and I left those flat.

Site Supporter
    My brief musings in 2008-2010 re running an arched MSH for 1911 to make them point more glock like. My username at 1911forums is Dojpros

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/fm...2#post-2061259

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/th.../#post-2949409

Almost everything “hardware” is on a wheel and comes back around. I.E. Appendix Carry captured in pirate images in the 18th century.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    My brief musings in 2008-2010 re running an arched MSH for 1911 to make them point more glock like. My username at 1911forums is Dojpros

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/fm...2#post-2061259

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/th.../#post-2949409

Almost everything “hardware” is on a wheel and comes back around. I.E. Appendix Carry captured in pirate images in the 18th century.
    This is exactly where I’m at now.

Name:  9B9B9D98-4ECF-40FF-948B-3FD52FE400D5.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  47.5 KB

Mini humpectomy Glock, neutral CZ and will experiment with built up 1911s.

Nothing wrong with any of those guns stock. I just have particular preferences of cross platform index similarity when it’s easy to do.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I thought I might have to put an arched mainspring housing on the Springfield RO that was bought on a whim after many years of not having a 1911 on the property. I mean, really... a 1911 with a straight MSH? That's for collectors of Alvin York-era stuff and contrarian cranks... or so I thought, This range toy ended up working out so well for me that I have left it alone save for some less aesthetically-challenged grips, and haven't yet changed that MSH out for an arched one.

Flash forward a few years to my bringing home a new Beretta 92X...

Based on how much I like shooting that RO, I automatically ASSUMED that the wraparound grip that came in the box with the 92X would be in long-term storage until someone else owned the gun. Wrong. Color me mildly surprised.

Like so much else in life, there are subtleties that can throw one way off when making what seem to be slam-dunk comparisons. Okay, the grip "angle" is the same... but what about the width? How high can I get my hand up on the backstrap? Where is the trigger face? Hinged trigger or straight-back pull... and if the former, where is the hinge at in relation to where my finger hits it? Chasing the holy grails of handgun "feel" and "pointability" can be a Sisyphean task.... and to make the quest seem more dismal, I now realize that - like my elders* - if I put in the effort, I can make almost any handgun work for me at least passably in spite of it not fitting me "right."

*One of the elders once said to me about a certain firearm, "I HAD to learn to use it whether it fit me or not."
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Interesting! Hand shapes and grips are funny like that.

People’s grip methods and hand camming are also different.
    I barely find the difference in how arched vs flat msh 1911s point. I put arched to play well with cz, found no difference, went back to flat because my custom 1911 has flat too.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I barely find the difference in how arched vs flat msh 1911s point. I put arched to play well with cz, found no difference, went back to flat because my custom 1911 has flat too.
    I believe that you didn’t find a difference.

Doesn’t mean there isn’t a difference.

And doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t notice a difference.

Like I said, it’ll only come out under certain conditions and perhaps only with straight draws.

People with wave draws and other muzzle angle draws likely won’t find a difference.

Think of slashing with a sword versus poking with one.

If people only slash, they’ll never noticing a difference in grip angles.

I prefer arched mainspring housings and short triggers, coupled with thin grip panels and Pearce finger grooves. This combination works with me small hands (glove size 6C).
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    If the arched strap doesn’t work I might add polymer to the existing MSH on my Ruger 1911.
    What do you use for polymer? Is there a 'release agent' so I could make a female mold where the polymer would flow into it but not become part of it?

User Tag List