Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neutral grip all the things! Making 1911s point like CZs…

Neutral grip all the things! Making 1911s point like CZs…

So I succeeded in making Glocks point like CZs by mini humpectomies.

Then I got to thinking… what if I added material to the butt of a 1911…

Then I got to Googling and came across “mainspring housing” replacements that have curves on them…

Does anyone here use them? Like them?

Seems like a great “solution” to me to keep my similar grip across all platforms.

EDIT: this is the one I ordered:

Name:  74358355-F3C9-4D9C-B647-B3C9B300BCDA.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  21.2 KB

Not my picture:

Name:  50C9285B-5CCA-425C-9298-0755C8D0C7DD.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  72.2 KB
    Last edited by JCN; 11-06-2022 at 07:03 PM.

I prefer the arched mainspring housing to the flat. The arched was the standard since with the adoption of the 1911A1 in 1926.
    The flat mainspring housing was used on the 1911. The flat has become the more popular option in the last probably 30 years.
    I have run the arched since I got into 1911 in the late 80’s.. I always assumed using the arched made the Glock grip seem fine to
    Me when others complained about it.

Site Supporter
    I dislike the arched mainspring housing on a 1911. I haven’t shot one with a dot. For my hands of course.

The grip safety and placement might have something to do with it

Site Supporter
    My 1911s are set up with arched mainspring housings and long triggers. I'm 6'1" with average size hands for my height, and the flat MSHs just don't work for me.

The arched MSHs just dig in the wrong part of my palm when shooting, it's not painful but uncomfortable and disconcerting.

Flat MSHs for me.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Very much a matter of taste. The G10 ones are easy to shape.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I've just replaced the arched msh with flat on my 1911 because it didn't do anything to make it point like a CZ.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    My 1911 came with a flat mainspring housing. While it worked OK, I replaced it with arched, and have preferred arched ever since. The palm of my hand is not flat.

I have medium sized hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've just replaced the arched msh with flat on my 1911 because it didn't do anything to make it point like a CZ.
    Interesting! Hand shapes and grips are funny like that.

People’s grip methods and hand camming are also different.

But that raises the possibility of needing to tailor it to my hands and grips (which is why I bought G10 instead of metal).

If I had a 1911 it would probably get the arched version. I say that because I don't like the straight backstrap on Berettas. This is my M9A3 w/ half of the conversion grip on it to show the difference.Name:  20200210_135430.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  51.0 KB
    I could get used to the flat back but since my other pistols are 92s, or have a similar arched shape, I don't want to change for just one gun. A couple months ago I got an all steel 92 w/ the flat back. This is my 2nd stage prototype of making a filler piece so I can run the arched grip panels. I warmed up a piece of .100 kydex and molded it over the frame of hump back 92.
    Name:  20220923_083817.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  37.7 KB
    None of this is a huge deal but I found that when I do a quick presentation w/ the flat back, the gun is aiming a little low. With the arched back the sights are right on.

User Tag List