Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy of Button-Nose .38 Wadcutters vs. DEWCs?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I have found that loading wadcutters in non-wadcutter brass seems to shorten the case life. I have .38 Special cases that have been reloaded so many times the case heads are blurry that are fine, but some that are much newer that have split during resizing after a few wadcutter loads.
    Annealing is your friend.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I like DEWCs because they’re essentially nose-pour bullets.

Bullets are more tolerant of imperfections in the nose than the base. A DEWC design allows loading with the sprue cut up front.

I have no proof of this, except my cast DEWCs are very accurate and the 8 cavity mould drops bullets like rats drop turds.

Site Supporter
    Those concerned about loading wadcutters in regular brass should not fret. A Lyman M Die expander does a great job in expanding this brass. When I know that my reloads will be shot in the same revolver, I avoid full length resizing the case. I adjust the die to size the 1st third of the case. This permits seating of the king we bullet without deforming it. The larger diameter of the case--from not reducing it--will now center itself in the chamber.

Be sure to measure your chamber throats before ordering. IIRC, Brazos sells bullets in .357 or .358 diameter.

User Tag List